new king gizzard and the lizard wizard track

poor_tom

That was a crazy good tune, I never heard of them before so I started YouTubing videos. Really dig the music and the use of microtonal guitars really gives a middle eastern feel. I am surprised Page never played one, maybe they did not exist outside of the middle east / Turkey / Greece until recently? 

Great stuff

I've been listening to this "Honey" of a song with my breakfast tea for the past few days. It is coming up on the one-year anniversary of their concert I saw at the Greek last August. I was looking forward to seeing them again this year before the coronavirus shut all the concerts down.

With heavy metal turned to shit these days and Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction, Nirvana, Tool, Soundgarden, Radiohead, Brian Jonestown Massacre and most other guitar-based bands of the 1980s-1990s either dead or turned to boring old farts, since 2010 it has been these newer bands that have kept guitar rock alive and creative and relevant:

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard

Black Angels

Thee Oh Sees

Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats

19 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

That was a crazy good tune, I never heard of them before so I started YouTubing videos. Really dig the music and the use of microtonal guitars really gives a middle eastern feel. I am surprised Page never played one, maybe they did not exist outside of the middle east / Turkey / Greece until recently? 

Great stuff

Better late than never. But you really need to see these guys live to really appreciate their musicianship. And start getting their albums...they are quite prolific. Start with the "Nonagon Infinity" and "Flying Microtonal Banana" albums.

Edited by Strider

2 hours ago, Strider said:

I've been listening to this "Honey" of a song with my breakfast tea for the past few days. It is coming up on the one-year anniversary of their concert I saw at the Greek last August. I was looking forward to seeing them again this year before the coronavirus shut all the concerts down.

With heavy metal turned to shit these days and Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction, Nirvana, Tool, Soundgarden, Radiohead, Brian Jonestown Massacre and most other guitar-based bands of the 1980s-1990s either dead or turned to boring old farts, since 2010 it has been these newer bands that have kept guitar rock alive and creative and relevant:

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard

Black Angels

Thee Oh Sees

Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats

Better late than never. But you really need to see these guys live to really appreciate their musicianship. And start getting their albums...they are quite prolific. Start with the "Nonagon Infinity" and "Flying Microtonal Banana" albums.

Thanks Sean, you bet I will. Best stuff I have heard in ages.

I thought I had started a King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard thread a few years ago but maybe I just posted about them in the What Music Are You Listening To? and What Concert Did You See? threads. I was planning on doing something else tonight but what the hell, I don't mind spending time helping newcomers to navigate King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard.

I didn't become aware of the band until well in their career...their fifth and eighth studio albums: "I'm in Your Mind Fuzz" and "Nonagon Infinity" in 2014 and 2016 respectively. Full on psyche-garage-prog-rock assaults. This is when they really broke through in the U.S. 2016 is when I first saw the band in concert...in a small 200-300 capacity club. Those days are long gone...they sold out the 7,000 seat Greek Theatre last year.

They followed up their breakthrough year of 2016 with a stupendous 2017...a year which saw them release FIVE albums beginning with "Flying Microtonal Banana" and ending with "Gumboot Soup".

I really love "Gumboot Soup". After the double-dose of "Nonagon Infinity" and "Flying Microtonal Banana", which acted like the band's "Led Zeppelin IV", consolidating their strengths and impact, "Gumboot Soup"  was like their "Houses of the Holy". It opened and expanded their sound to pastoral, jazzy influences. It is a summery-sounding record.

Ok. So you've got your basic King Gizzard starter kit.

1. I'm in Your Mind Fuzz

2. Nonagon Infinity

3. Flying Microtonal Banana

4. Gumboot Soup

Where to next? Depending on where you live finding their early albums on vinyl could be difficult. I only have "Quarters" and "Paper Maché Dream Balloon", which were albums number 6 and 7 in the King Gizzard timeline. Both are worth your while..."Dream Balloon" is all acoustic (their Led Zeppelin III) and "Quarters" is more spacey...four songs, each 10 minutes and 10 seconds in length.

But what about the rest of the five records they released in 2017? Well, if you prefer their "Flying Microtonal Banana" album, then "Polygondwanaland" should be your next purchase.

After releasing five albums in 2017 and ten albums from 2014 to 2017, you would think King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard would take a break. But no, they toured their arses off. So much so that from 2016 to 2018 King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard played locally in the L.A. area around 10 times. I saw them graduate from the club-sized Teragram Ballroom and the Roxy to headlining the 4,000 capacity Hollywood Palladium and playing to festival-sized crowds at Coachella and Desert Daze.

Then in 2019 they released two more albums, each different from the other. First up in April came "Fishing for Fishies". One of their most mellow albums...an amalgam of '70s boogie, krautrock, and Phish.

Four months later in August 2019 King Fuzz did a 180° and dropped their heaviest, most metal album, "Infest the Rats' Nest". Their 2019 tour hit the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles before this album hit the record shops so I was totally surprised by the "Rats' Nest" songs they played in concert. It was quite something when they would go from something chill from "Fishing for Fishies" to the Slayer-like "Rats' Nest" songs.

Which brings us to 2020. Looking at King Gizzard's discography I see they have released four live albums this year...all four recorded on the 2019 tour. Live in Adelaide '19, Live in Paris '19, Live in Brussels '19, and a compilation of various songs recorded in various cities, "Chunky Shrapnel".

Thanks to the coronavirus I haven't been able to visit a record shop and I don't have any of these live albums yet and cannot comment on them.

I don't know how popular King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard are where you live @PeaceFrogYum but I imagine the days of being able to see this band in a tiny club with the crowd going bonkers are few, if not completely over. They definitely are over in places such as L.A., San Francisco, and NYC, where they can sell out 3,000 - 7,000 seat venues no problem.

If I were you I would definitely make plans to see them the first chance you get.

Edited by Strider