R.E.M.

gperkins151

Anyhow, they never hit my radar again. So tell me what CD would you suggest as their masterpiece for me to give a listen to?

................. thanks missy

Of the early ones (in fact, of all their albums), Lifes Rich Pageant is their masterpiece. (high energy, inspirational, timeless)

Of the middle ones, Automatic for the People. (classic, beautiful, dark)

Of the latest ones, Accelerate. (hard rockin' comeback album)

Edited by gperkins151

Of the early ones (in fact, of all their albums), Lifes Rich Pageant is their masterpiece. (high energy, inspirational, timeless)

Of the middle ones, Automatic for the People. (classic, beautiful, dark)

Of the latest ones, Accelerate. (hard rockin' comeback album)

Thank-you! So "Lifes Rich Pageant" could be considered like Led Zepplin's IV perhaps? Not musically, but I mean as far as the record everybody needs to have if you are an R.E.M. fan. Similarly as in Pink Floyd fans always have "Dark Side of the Moon." Well, you probably get the comparison I'm making. I appreciate the suggestions and I will check them out becuase I'm in the mood for a new band (new to me, lol.)............... :) missy

So tell me what CD would you suggest as their masterpiece for me to give a listen to?

I'm not sure that any of their albums are considered a "masterpiece" but Automatic For the People is probably their most highly regarded work. My favorite is Fables of the Reconstruction but it's not one I'd recommend to folks that are new to R.E.M.

Thank-you! So "Lifes Rich Pageant" could be considered like Led Zepplin's IV perhaps? Not musically, but I mean as far as the record everybody needs to have if you are an R.E.M. fan. Similarly as in Pink Floyd fans always have "Dark Side of the Moon." Well, you probably get the comparison I'm making. I appreciate the suggestions and I will check them out becuase I'm in the mood for a new band (new to me, lol.)............... :) missy

That's a tough call, mostly because I see Pink Floyd and Zeppelin as having multiple albums that you need to have.

I'd suggest getting Lifes Rich Pageant and Automatic for the People used over at amazon. They should be dirt cheap and since they are both albums you "need" to have, they are also very different, as is Accelerate for that matter.

If only plan on getting one album (I shudder to think :) ), I'd say get the Eponymous compilation. Has all their early "hits."

That's a tough call, mostly because I see Pink Floyd and Zeppelin as having multiple albums that you need to have.

I'd suggest getting Lifes Rich Pageant and Automatic for the People used over at amazon. They should be dirt cheap and since they are both albums you "need" to have, they are also very different, as is Accelerate for that matter.

If only plan on getting one album (I shudder to think :) ), I'd say get the Eponymous compilation. Has all their early "hits."

Yes, I hear you. I can't imagine myself not telling someone to pick up Wish You Were Here or Animals right alongside Dark Side of the Moon.

Personally, I like Animals the best and for Zep I'd pick Houses of the Holy. So my taste isn't typically go with the mega-seller first at all.

I can buy more than one also. Are these guys as big as say, U2 was in the Eighties or something?

I'm not saying that in a sarcastic way. I dropped the FM radio and MTV around 1990, and therefore don't know, but am curious.

I only know Losing My Religion. I liked this a lot when it was out back in the day.

Basically I wanted to know what you think represents their best music. I don't care if its "hits" or not. Sorry that my earlier post was a little confusing.

Do they have a live set out ala The Song Remains the Same?

Thanks to both of you for the tips.................:) missy

I only know Losing My Religion. I liked this a lot when it was out back in the day.

I think you'll love Automatic for the People, then.

Do they have a live set out ala The Song Remains the Same?

Yes, 2CDs and 1DVD, superb setlist - http://www.amazon.com/Live-At-Olympia-2CD-1DVD/dp/B002NVTBUY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1299012692&sr=8-2-spell

Here's the trailer for it -

If it came down to compilations I'd much sooner suggest And I Feel Fine which I think is much more comprehensive than Eponymous (particularly the two disc version). I also wouldn't weigh my decision to recommend that album based solely on the hits as there is so much more to R.E.M. than their hit singles.

I agree about the different eras. To me, there's at least three: the I.R.S years (my favorite time period for them), the Warner Brothers years Part 1 and the Warner Brothers years Part 2: post-Bill Berry. As I mentioned, my favorite from the I.R.S. years would have to be Fables of the Reconstruction. My favorite from the WB years (Part 1) would be New Adventures In Hi-Fi and my favorite from the post-Bill Berry period (so far) would have to be Up. It took me a long time to get into that record but that's only indicative of how dense and multi-layered it is. Plus, it was just so hard to get used to their new sound after Bill's retirement from the band.

Rem Sucks!!! I don't care how many hate replies I get for stating MY OPINION!!! Thier music is terrible. Micheal Stipe is, in my OPINION, the worst frontman of all-time. I think he will be dead from AIDS in the next couple of years. I never apologize to anyone for stating and expressing my opinion, but I truly stand by my comments. Put me down and trash me for this if you happen to be a fan of rem, however, I do not give a Fuck what anyone has to say about me. You don't know me and I do not know you. Say what you will. I did and I say that rem is probably the worst group ever.

Edited by lzzoso

Rem Sucks!!! I don't care how many hate replies I get for stating MY OPINION!!! Thier music is terrible. Micheal Stipe is, in my OPINION, the worst frontman of all-time. I think he will be dead from AIDS in the next couple of years. I never apologize to anyone for stating and expressing my opinion, but I truly stand by my comments. Put me down and trash me for this if you happen to be a fan of rem, however, I do not give a Fuck what anyone has to say about me. You don't know me and I do not know you. Say what you will. I did and I say that rem is probably the worst group ever.

You have every right to express an opinion (which you've done numerous times before on this very topic) but what's with the outright vitriol and homophobia? Stipe will be dead in the next couple of years from AIDS? Does that just go for him or does it go for everyone that is gay/queer/bisexual?

Edited by Jahfin

You have every right to express an opinion (which you've done numerous times before on this very topic) but what's with the outright vitriol and homophobia? Stipe will be dead in the next couple of years from AIDS? Does that just go for him or does it go for everyone that is gay/queer/bisexual?

That just goes for him. He has always looked very sick to me.

It looks to me like the poster mentioned he thought Michael Stipe would die of AIDS soon. He never mentioned sexuality. I've always heard you could get it from sharing needles as well. You, Jahfin, are the one who brought up sexuality with your homophobe comment.

Do you assume that sexuality is the only way to get AIDS ? You didn't mention other ways, so it's YOU that's hung up on it.

Assumptive aren't we ?

And how would you know I was harking on his sexuality ? Maybe I think he does needles. Again, you are the one mentioning sex, no one else.

It looks to me like the poster mentioned he thought Michael Stipe would die of AIDS soon. He never mentioned sexuality. I've always heard you could get it from sharing needles as well. You, Jahfin, are the one who brought up sexuality with your homophobe comment.

Do you assume that sexuality is the only way to get AIDS ? You didn't mention other ways, so it's YOU that's hung up on it.

Assumptive aren't we ?

And how would you know I was harking on his sexuality ? Maybe I think he does needles. Again, you are the one mentioning sex, no one else.

Since Stipe is bisexual/queer/gay (his words not mine) some people (not me) would assume he could possibly contract AIDS because of his lifestyle. Since he doesn't have a history with needles that is what prompted my "homophobe" comment. So, if you weren't harping on his sexuality, what was it you and lzzoso were harping on since his sexual preferences don't have a thing to do with R.E.M.'s music?

Hey, I've been sampling a ton of R.E.M. over at Amazon. I haven't even gotten through all their records yet. But, I already think I found my favorite!

And it may surprise you because it wasn't mentioned much in the suggestions. It's the album "Up" from 1998. Now I have no idea how this record fits into the different phases the band may have gone through over the years. But I like it a lot because to my ears there is a touch of .....I guess you would call it trippy/slightly psychedelic sound to it. Is that crazy?

Well, here are two songs I picked up on right away I liked more than some others to give you an idea.

They remind me a little bit (vocals too) of another band I recently discovered that is electronic/psychedelic, "The High Llamas."

I would really be curious what any fan of the band thinks of my favorite (at least out of the 10 or so records I checked, Reveal being a second choice).

"Parakeet" live from "UP" (1998)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjFFzCCcgmU

And I really like this..."Suspicion" also from "UP"

Note the similarites in the vibe/vocals compared to this High Llamas track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6inQxxCqD8&feature=related

Would appreciate any comments you experts have! Thanks...............missy

Hey, I've been sampling a ton of R.E.M. over at Amazon. I haven't even gotten through all their records yet. But, I already think I found my favorite!

And it may surprise you because it wasn't mentioned much in the suggestions. It's the album "Up" from 1998. Now I have no idea how this record fits into the different phases the band may have gone through over the years. But I like it a lot because to my ears there is a touch of .....I guess you would call it trippy/slightly psychedelic sound to it. Is that crazy?

Absolutely. Totally crazy. ;-)

Seriously, you are the best judge of what you like obviously, so it's good that you did some research yourself.

I have a friend who hates REM but loves UP. I happen to like it a lot, but find it to be second tier REM. Reveal I also enjoy, but like a bit less.

I love Up but it was made during a very difficult point in their career when Bill Berry had left the band so it was their first record without him. That's one reason why it was so hard to digest at first. Not only was it their first album without Bill but due to his absence they were trying their hand at various new styles and approaches to the music that they hadn't before. There's a great documentary about this period called This Way Up that you can watch on YouTube. There was also a Behind the Music on VH1 that documented this time period which can also be found on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noHD6diOlLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCOa46ZYN7Y

Missy, I don't know why this came to mind, but I bet you'd love this:

That's gorgeous music. Love those little bells and sounds in the background.

But man, that's a rough song to listen to when you're lonely.

Can you find me something else from the artist a little cheerier?..........thanks missy