R.E.M.

gperkins151

Well, how long have you been a fan?

Do you like all their stuff or just one era?

Seen them live? What did you think?

What's the rarest release that you own?

Favorite song?

Favorite album?

Favorite member?

(I realize this a lot of questions, but they are one of my favorite bands (top ten))

I'll answer when I have had more sleep. B)

Since I first heard Laughing on WQDR out of Raleigh, NC back in the early 80s.

I like it all to varying degrees but prefer the I.R.S. years.

Not sure how many times I've seen them live at this point but I've attended each tour (some more than once) since Pagentry in '86.

Not the original pressing of Radio Free Europe I'm afraid. Otherwise I have quite a few rare b-sides on both vinyl and CD, some flexi-discs, all the fanclub singles and a few live recordings. I'm not sure what the rarest out of those would be but I understand the fanclub singles go for quite a bit on eBay.

Favorite song?

It's always hard to narrow it down to just one but presently I'd say the live version of Gardening at Night that's a bonus track on the import version of Murmur.

Favorite album?

Reconstruction of the Fables of the Reconstruction

Favorite member?

Can't say that I have one, I'm a fan of the entire band.

Since 86 when I heard Begin the Begin

Up to Bill Berry leaving really then kinda lost interest.....

Green World Tour Hammersmith Odeon (fukin' awesome, Orange crush, Turn You Inside Out and Perfect Circle) , Monster Milton Keynes (ok), Up, Earls Court (slick and professional, best moment sweetness follows)

Nothing really, but got some great boots.

Favorite song?

Live versions of Perfect Circle from Green world tour

Favorite album?

Document

Favorite member?

Silly question

(I realize this a lot of questions, but they are one of my favorite bands (top ten))

I'll answer when I have had more sleep. B)

Since my friend forced me to listen to the IRS albums in the late eighties. Eventually they grew on me and I have been a fan ever since.

I much prefer the IRS years plus Green, which I think was their last great album. Out of time was not as solid IMO and though Automatic for the People was incredible, their stuff as of late just sounds like it was written by old people. I bought Around the Sun and barely made it through it once.

Saw them twice for the Green tour - awesome shows!! Then I saw them for the Monster tour at MSG and thought it was OK, could've done with much more album tracks and less GR. Hits, but...

Then I saw them for the UP show at Hammerstein Ballroom. I won tickets on the radio by singing the entire first verse of It's the End of the World As we Know it. B)

I finally got a copy of the 1991 Unplugged show (audio.) I also have the IRS compilation In the Attic, which apparently isn't as rare as I thought. Got some nice early Boots too.

Favorite song?

This is a toughie. Probably Sweetness Follows.

Favorite album?

Easy, Life's Rich Pageant.

Favorite member?

Michael. The others do very little for me, actually. I'm more a lyrics and message kinda guy.

Been a fan since day one. I like the early REM and Monster. I recently watched a live DVD of the band and was pleasantly surprised on seeing the human contact the singer has with his audience who love him and the band. Why don't they ever play Fall On Me at their gigs?!

Rob

Strangly enough, I hated REM back in their hayday.

It had to do with the fact that every other song on the radio seemed to be an REM song.

Since I no longer listen to radio, I have recently rediscoved this band and listen to them with a new set of ears.

I love Drive and Bang and Blame. Crush with Eyeliner is good too.

Been a fan since day one. I like the early REM and Monster. I recently watched a live DVD of the band and was pleasantly surprised on seeing the human contact the singer has with his audience who love him and the band. Why don't they ever play Fall On Me at their gigs?!

Rob

They play it on Tourfilm - an incredible DVD BTW. B)

Never been much of a fan. I have 5-6 of their albums because I keep finding them used for $4.

I dunno about a favorite song, but I absolutely love the acoustic cut of Pop Song '89 off the rarities disc of In Time. I think that song sports some of their finest lyrics:

'Hello, I saw you - I know you - I knew you

think I can remember your name'

'Hello, my friend, are you visible today?'

Love it. B)

Why don't they ever play Fall On Me at their gigs?!

They do. I know someone mentioned Tourfilm but that was from the Green World Tour in '89. Last time I heard 'em play it was when they headlined the Austin City Limits Music Festival back in '03. For a comprehensive database of setlists check here:

http://www.remtimeline.com

My favorite album from the Warner Brothers years would have to be New Adventure in Hi Fi, their last truly great album to my ears. They have suffered greatly from Bill Berry's departure but still managed a very decent album with Up. They haven't fared as well with Reveal and Around the Sun yet I am still able to find some songs to love from those records as well, I just think they're capable of much better. Still, I believe they're one of the best live bands on the planet and the material from the last three records sounds much better in that setting as they're free of the constraints of the studio and are forced to play them as a "rock" band.

I'm surprised nothing has been said of the upcoming new record, Accelerate, due on April 1st. Anyone that heard any of the "working rehearsals" from Dublin over the summer knows this album will find R.E.M. returning to more of a rocking sound for the first time since the days of Hi Fi and Monster (not that the new songs have much in common with either of those records). A special website has been set up as a bit of a teaser for the release of the album with a new clip being added everyday:

http://www.ninetynights.com

Edited by Jahfin

They do. I know someone mentioned Tourfilm but that was from the Green World Tour in '89. Last time I heard 'em play it was when they headlined the Austin City Limits Music Festival back in '03. For a comprehensive database of setlists check here:

http://www.remtimeline.com

My favorite album from the Warner Brothers years would have to be New Adventure in Hi Fi, their last truly great album to my ears. They have suffered great from Bill Berry's departure but still managed a very decent album with Up. They haven't fared as well with Reveal and Around the Sun yet I am still able to find some song to love from those records as well, I just think they're capable of much better. Still, I believe they're one of the best live bands on the planet and the material from the last three records sounds much better in that setting as they're free of the constraints of the studio and are forced to play them as a "rock" band.

I'm surprised nothing has been said of the upcoming new record, Accelerate, due on April 1st. Anyone that heard any of the "working rehearsals" from Dublin over the summer knows this record will find R.E.M. returning to more of a rocking sound for the first time since the days of Hi Fi and Monster (not that the new songs have much in common with either of those records). A special website has been set up as a bit of a teaser for the release of the album with a new clip being added everyday:

http://www.ninetynights.com

Thanx for the heads up......my next buy that DVD!!!

Edited by dragster

I have always liked REM but don't have any of their albums. All of the stuff I have heard came off of their videos being played on MTV back in the day. I really enjoyed their Unplugged performance that came out back in 1991. I really like Everybody Hurts, The One I Love, Time, Man on the Moon, Bang and Blame, It's the End of the World as We Know It and course Losing My Religion. I know they had many more songs, but these are the ones I heard the most. Great band overall.

Perhaps but it wasn't a big radio hit like the other songs Melanie mentioned, nor was it ever a single. At least not to my knowledge.

No, I don't think it was a single either. However, I think it is a popular album track. I love that live version with Red Rain/So. Central Rain - incredible.

Yes, I did. Thank you.

No problem. Just want to make sure that you got it. :)

Edited by gperkins151

What song is "Time"?

Oops my bad. I thought the title of the song was called Time. I just remember it was a black and white video of Michael Stipe and it looked like he was jumping into the the crowd and the song was kinda slow and the video was in slow motion . Also in the lyrics he was singing "tick, tock". It was on their Automatic for the People CD and was played alot on MTV back in 1992. Does this sound familiar?

Edited by Melanie_72

Oops my bad. I thought the title of the song was called Time. I just remember it was a black and white video of Michael Stipe and it looked like he was jumping into the the crowd and the song was kinda slow and the video was in slow motion . Also in the lyrics he was singing "tick, tock". It was on their Automatic for the People CD and was played alot on MTV back in 1992. Does this sound familiar?

yup, that's "Drive." B)

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

No Depression's website has a great writeup on the recent deluxe edition of Murmur which you can read at the link below:

R.E.M.'s Still Echoing Murmur

Coming on March 11th there is going to be a tribute to R.E.M. at Carnegie Hall. More info at the links below, including a way to enter to win a pair of tickets courtesy of the fine folks at Paste magazine.

Paste magazine ticket giveaway

The Music of R.E.M. at Carnegie Hall

REM-300x250-2.gif

Edited by Jahfin