R.E.M.

gperkins151

Can you find me something else from the artist a little cheerier?..........thanks missy

It doesn't get much "cheerier" than this but then again R.E.M. haven't exactly staked their reputation on making "cheery" music. In fact, they've done all but totally disown this song. They wouldn't even allow it to be included on their best of collection from the Warner Brothers era, In Time:

That's gorgeous music. Love those little bells and sounds in the background.

But man, that's a rough song to listen to when you're lonely.

Can you find me something else from the artist a little cheerier?..........thanks missy

Sorry, when I want cheery I look to the Beatles or maybe Stevie Wonder.

Loneliness sucks though, so I know what you mean. All too well, in fact. :console2:

It doesn't get much "cheerier" than this but then again R.E.M. haven't exactly staked their reputation on making "cheery" music. In fact, they've done all but totally disown this song. They wouldn't even allow it to be included on their best of collection from the Warner Brothers era, In Time:

I don't know why. I loved (and very much still love) that song. It's fun to sing and is very uplifting. Great vocals from Kate Pierson too.

I don't know why. I loved (and very much still love) that song. It's fun to sing and is very uplifting. Great vocals from Kate Pierson too.

Quite a contrast from your comments above about R.E.M. because I find a great deal of their music uplifting (particularly the sadder material) but I always got the impression they were somewhat embarrassed by "Shiny Happy People", Peter Buck's facial expressions during the video notwithstanding as he's never been big on appearing in their video clips. I know In Time was never meant to be a "greatest hits" collection but was instead intended to be a "best of" (yes, there is a difference) but as a matter of inclusiveness I don't feel it would have been out of place on there. Personally, I don't hate the song but it's never been one of my absolute favorites either. I can certainly think of a lot worse from their entire catalog.

Time to get this thread back on track....REM's second best album (I think so far) is Reveal. Maybe not the typical choice, but this song is very nice and another one called "Beachball." I liked the multi-layered sounds..........:) missy

"Summer Turns To High" from Reveal (2001)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz9BnWFgTNk

Since Stipe is bisexual/queer/gay (his words not mine) some people (not me) would assume he could possibly contract AIDS because of his lifestyle. Since he doesn't have a history with needles that is what prompted my "homophobe" comment. So, if you weren't harping on his sexuality, what was it you and lzzoso were harping on since his sexual preferences don't have a thing to do with R.E.M.'s music?

Once again,

On the page previous I didn't see lzzoso mention sexuality at all. I didn't either.

YOU DID. It may be Stipe's words, unless you meant lzzoso, but no one mentioned sexuality but you.

Any other assumptions come from you.

By the Way, I like DOCUMENT quite a bit, but not so much the other albums of theirs.

Once again,

On the page previous I didn't see lzzoso mention sexuality at all. I didn't either.

YOU DID. It may be Stipe's words, unless you meant lzzoso, but no one mentioned sexuality but you.

Any other assumptions come from you.

lzzoso mentioned AIDS, whether he meant anything about Stipe's sexuality by that remains unanswered. Since Stipe is gay/queer/bisexual and rumors have circulated about him having AIDS before it is inferred that that is what he may have meant. It's up to him to clarify. You also said Stipe was in a "high risk group" which would also infer that you were referring to his sexuality and not needles since he has no history with intravenous drug use, at least that I'm aware of. By saying he was in a high risk group, what were you referring to?

I where trousers, others may not, and I didn't know you were so interested.

It's good to know my opinion is sought after though.

I guess you forgot the part where you accused me of being the one to bring up the matter of Stipe's sexuality in relation to lzzoso's comment about him dying of AIDS and your comment about him being in a "high risk group".

I guess you forgot the part where you accused me of being the one to bring up the matter of Stipe's sexuality in relation to lzzoso's comment about him dying of AIDS and your comment about him being in a "high risk group"

There was no accusation, that would assume a matter of debate. I just stated fact.

I know any album after Automatic for the People might get some bad press, but I really like Monster.

I'm a fan of Monster as well as New Adventures in Hi-Fi, the latter of which is my favorite from the Warner Brother years when Bill Berry was still a member of the band. I think Monster mainly gets a bad rap because fans that came onboard during Out of Time and Automatic for the People were thrown for a loop because they were more accustomed to the softer side of the band and simply didn't know what to make of their harder side.

I'm a fan of Monster as well as New Adventures in Hi-Fi, the latter of which is my favorite from the Warner Brother years when Bill Berry was still a member of the band.

What happened to Bill Berry? So the albums I like most, Up and Reveal have a new drummer?

Was Bill Berry a drummer that was pivotal to the group and their sound?

I mean no disrespect meant by that at all. I was just curious, especially since I picked albums post Bill Berry apparently.

Thanks............... :) Missy

What happened to Bill Berry?

He retired from the band in November of 1997. During the Monster tour he suffered an aneurysm while on stage in Lausanne, Switzerland. Once he recuperated they successfully completed the tour and a follow up album (New Adventures In Hi-Fi) but during that time he decided he no longer wanted to tour and that he wanted to retire to his farm outside of R.E.M.'s homebase of Athens, GA. He's done some guest appearances since then both live and on record but has never returned to the band on a permanent basis.

So the albums I like most, Up and Reveal have a new drummer?

Joey Waronker (from Beck's band) played drums on Up and Reveal. Their current drummer, Bill Rieflin, came onboard during the 2003 tour for In Time and has remained with the band ever since.

Was Bill Berry a drummer that was pivotal to the group and their sound?

I think so. He not only played drums with R.E.M. but also played bass, guitar, sang backup and contributed significantly to the songwriting process. Bill was always one to keep things short and concise so the length of some of the songs on Up was a clear indication of his absence. It's not as though they'd never done any long songs before (such as "Leave" from New Adventures In Hi-Fi which clocks in at just over seven minutes) but Bill had a real keen pop song sense that enabled him to help keep the tunes down to the 3-5 minute range with a minimum of excess.

The clip below features Bill on bass guitar during a BBC performance from the Out of Time era.

Edited by Jahfin

I posted that earlier

Yes, you did but at that time the clip hadn't been posted to YouTube yet. I'm not sure what the overall consensus is but I'd think someone is more likely to click on a embedded video than to go to another site to watch it. It's much more convenient anyhow. It was never meant to take away from your post.

Yes, you did but at that time the clip hadn't been posted to YouTube yet. I'm not sure what the overall consensus is but I'd think someone is more likely to click on a embedded video than to go to another site to watch it. It's much more convenient anyhow. It was never meant to take away from your post.

Good point. I was totally kidding anyway. :)

tibethouse.us/whats-new/news-a-notices/item/147-benefit-auction

We hope you will join us to celebrate the Tibetan New Year, the Year of the Iron Rabbit!Tibet House US will hold its 21st Annual Benefit Concert at Carnegie Hall on Thursday, March 3rd. Philip Glass, Tenzin Choegyal, Flaming Lips, Angelique Kidjo, Taj Mahal, James McCartney, The Roots, Patti Smith with Jesse Smith and Michael Campbell, and Michael Stipe have confirmed and we are expecting other artists to join the line-up soon so check the Tibet House US website regularly as all new updates will be posted!