Led Zeppelin & The Who

Richard_Coleslaw

I submitted this topic on The Who's forum...........

The Who's strengths:

Innovators of volume and feedback.

Mod icons

Great pop songs and rock anthems

Strong and conflicting personalities which added an air of tension to the proceedings.

Unequaled live shows.

Tommy

First band to fully utilize synth's.

Turned pop music into rock music.

Highly regarded as an influence of punk rock.

A great documentary in "The Kids Are Alright."

The Who's weaknesses:

Pete's preoccupation with the past and wanky subject matter.

Unable to perform much of their latter material live,due to synth arrangements and guitar keys. (could have been remedied by writing songs in terms of live performances.)

Too much live inactivity between '72 and '78.

Remaining together after their "farewell tour"in '82.

Having more "greatest hits"albums than studio albums. ('65 to '78)

Pete not allowing all members to contribute more songs.

Led Zeppelin's strengths:

Willing to take musical chances.(drum solos, bowing of the guitar, the theremin, acoustic playing.)

Breaking up after John Bonham's death.

Playing in Belfast when most bands wouldn't dream of it.

Giving more bang for the buck with some concerts lasting up to 3 hours.

Although detached from their fans in some regards, their popularity was undeniably huge.

Strong work ethic. They toured ceaselessly from '69 to '71.

Jimmy Page created some of the best sounding records ever up to that point. The drum sound alone on "When The Levee Breaks" is just plain SICK.

They seemed to enjoy themselves and despite of Jimmy Page's dominance, they were able to put aside egos for the common good of the band.

Thy changed the way bands made money from concert promoters and record labels.

Physical Graffiti.

Led Zeppelin's weaknesses:

They ripped off blues artists by stealing their music and not compensating them.

Robert Plant's vocals and posturing.

Were considered hyped-up and greedy.

Their implied association with the occult.

Overindulgence in solos.

An awful documentary in "the Song Remains The Same".

As far as The Who's higher rankings in recent polls, I can chalk that up to their recent popularity from touring and recording. Take the same poll when the "No Quarter" album and tour were popular, and The Who were inactive,and I'm sure Led Zeppelin would come out ahead.

All in all, I am grateful for BOTH bands.

Robert Plant's vocals and posturing

a weakness?

one of the many things on which I disagree with you...from a singer's POV this statement seems to me ridiculous.

And for god's sake why the hell compare The Who and Zeppelin?

both bands are huge on two different scales...there isn't a better band, the whole point in having many artist is the beauty of music...this is one of the only fields in life in which you can have it all- indulge on that!

but as to not making this into a bitching fest- you're entitled to your own opinions...I just wish they weren't written from such a high horse... I believe these words are your own and not accurate science, you should remember this.

Your obviously a Who fan.... Fuck me mate.... most of us oldies went through the Who to get to Zeppelin. Why compare ? both bands are brilliant ...enjoy both. I'm listening to Live At Leeds right now and giving Led Zep newbies advice.... eh ...at least that's what I call it :D

They ripped off blues artists by stealing their music and not compensating them.

Overindulgence in solos.

Really...I find all these as strengths...who the fucks wants a one minute solo (which BTW...the Who did long solos too...listen to Live at Leeds)...as for the blues shit....ALL THOSE BANDS DID....Who included....both bands are great IMO!!

Summertime Blues, anyone?

Since I've Been Loving You. Enough said.

Hmmm, which band sold out their songs to CSI ...

What's wrong with the occult?

Overindulgence in solos.

Give me extended versions of Dazed and Confused, Moby Dick, or No Quarter any day.

Awful? It is surely the most underrated rockumentary of all time! It's all that "cosmic energy"!

But I still love the Who as well.

Archived