James Patrick Page- Session Man

It's Jake Holmes' original recording (1967).

There are 3 semi-official Yardbirds versions with Jimmy:

1. French TV, March 1968 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMz1TwtDsjk)

2. BBC recording, March 1968 (released on the 2003 "Little Games" CD)

3. Live At The Anderson Theater, May 1968 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di0n3r9NwDI)

Thanks for the info Swandown. I believe the French TV version is on Cumular Limit. But my Little Games cd doesn't have a version of D&C.

I could be wrong, but wasn't Session Man an official release? I have it on CD - a two-disc set (Vol. 1 with green/yellow cover, Vol. 2 with purple and blue cover)

It's "official" in the sense that Bomp Records was able to exploit a legal loophole to release it. But it wasn't authorized by anyone in the Zep camp.

And if Jimmy ever found out that the version of "White Summer" on Volume 2 (attributed to "The New Yardbirds live in 1968") was actually the Led Zeppelin BBC recording........well, I think Bomp Records might get sued out of existence.

It's "official" in the sense that Bomp Records was able to exploit a legal loophole to release it. But it wasn't authorized by anyone in the Zep camp.

And if Jimmy ever found out that the version of "White Summer" on Volume 2 (attributed to "The New Yardbirds live in 1968") was actually the Led Zeppelin BBC recording........well, I think Bomp Records might get sued out of existence.

This is consistent with my experience as well. I purchased Session Man at a major music retail store, where it was being sold as a legitimate commericial release.

This was the first of many of those types of compilations of Page's early works, though. I have another with Page/Clapton/Beck as well that was officially released and sold in stores, but authorization was not legally necessary.

Archived