Which song came first, Bud's or Zeppelin's?

Cat

Chicago Tribune (IL) - July 8, 2005

Author: Patrick Sisson

I can't listen to Led Zeppelin without getting thirsty for a cold one. Which came first, Zeppelin's "Fool in the Rain" or the old Budweiser jingle "When you say Budweiser, you've said it all?" Was there any claim of copyright infringement by one against the other?

--Scott A. Wineberg, Buffalo Grove

"When You Say Budweiser, You've Said It All," was an ad campaign created in 1970 by ad-industry songwriter Steve Karmen. Karmen was later dubbed "King of the Jingle" by People magazine for his famous tunes that also included "Hershey, the Great American Chocolate Bar." The beer jingle was used until 1985, undergoing a rewrite in 1978 to include the line "For all you do, this Bud's for you."

Long life span, but not exactly heavy metal material, is it?

Led Zeppelin wrote "Fool in the Rain" in 1979 and, according to a band representative, the group "has no knowledge of the Budweiser commercial."

Even if the tunes sound similar, Karmen concurs that the band didn't rip him off. "If it was close enough, we would have sued," he said in a phone interview. That's not a bluff. In 1970, he sued the writers of "When You Say Love," a similar-sounding Sonny and Cher single, and won the right to future royalties.

So, it appears that Zep frontman Robert Plant and guitarist Jimmy Page never plagiarized a beer ad. No word if they prefer Miller.

Chicago Tribune (IL) - July 8, 2005

Author: Patrick Sisson

I can't listen to Led Zeppelin without getting thirsty for a cold one. Which came first, Zeppelin's "Fool in the Rain" or the old Budweiser jingle "When you say Budweiser, you've said it all?" Was there any claim of copyright infringement by one against the other?

--Scott A. Wineberg, Buffalo Grove

!

that's extremely funny!

just another reason why one should neverstop,

only drive straight through buffalo grove...

Well if thats the one that is meant then I must be missing something. Not really that close from what I hear.

Thanks for the article Cat and the link rokarolla.

Is there a musician in the house who can read music who could compare them?

Archived