"The Mayor of the Sunset Strip"

danelectro59

I just saw this film yesterday about Rodney Bingenheimer, the LA DJ and one time club owner of Rodney's English Disco. I had almost completely forgotten about this man, but thinking back, he has been a major player on the music scene since the mid 60's. He's rubbed shoulders with Elvis, the Beatles, Bowie and everyone in between. He had one of the hottest nightclubs on the Strip in the early 70's during the glam rock era. I remember reading reports and seeing pics in the rock mags about the outrageous parties going on. The film is very good, but it is a documentary, which turn some people off. One thing that dissapointed me, but may not be a mistake, is that there was very little mention of Led Zeppelin. Only that Robert Plant said something to the effect that "Rodney has more women than me." Which at the time, around 72-73, would've been hard to believe. I know that Zep spent a lot of time hanging around this place. I'm curious to know if anyone here had been there before it closed?

I just saw this film yesterday about Rodney Bingenheimer, the LA DJ and one time club owner of Rodney's English Disco. I had almost completely forgotten about this man, but thinking back, he has been a major player on the music scene since the mid 60's. He's rubbed shoulders with Elvis, the Beatles, Bowie and everyone in between. He had one of the hottest nightclubs on the Strip in the early 70's during the glam rock era. I remember reading reports and seeing pics in the rock mags about the outrageous parties going on. The film is very good, but it is a documentary, which turn some people off. One thing that dissapointed me, but may not be a mistake, is that there was very little mention of Led Zeppelin. Only that Robert Plant said something to the effect that "Rodney has more women than me." Which at the time, around 72-73, would've been hard to believe. I know that Zep spent a lot of time hanging around this place. I'm curious to know if anyone here had been there before it closed?

Danelectro59, I went to the English Disco during the '70s (and also to Gazzarri’s, Rainbow, Roxy, Whiskey, Troubador, etc.). I haven't seen the documentary so I can't comment on it. I know that not everyone likes/liked that era, but I personally loved the Hollywood/LA scene of the 1970's - I found it very exciting - an interesting place to be filled with fascinating people. It's sometimes difficult for me to describe what the scene was like in those years to someone who wasn't there (and someone who isn't familiar with Hollywood) because it was such a different time and place - and people and events that seem outrageous to us now, were just the way things were on the scene back then. I've always considered myself very fortunate to have experienced that when I was young.

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

I saw Etta James and Muddy Waters at the Roxy in the late 70s but mostly went to concerts in the early 70s, usually Led Zeppelin, classical performances, or dance theatre. But even in that environment there were characters.

Edited by eternal light

I saw Etta James and Muddy Waters at the Roxy in the late 70s but mostly went to concerts in the early 70s, usually Led Zeppelin, classical performances, or dance theatre. But even in that environment there were characters.

My husband and I were living back east in the late 70's - we weren't married yet and I was still in school but I brought him out to LA a few times and introduced him to the town. That included taking him to the places I frequented when I was younger. I think we saw Muddy Waters at the Roxy in 1980 (by then we were living back in LA full-time).

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

• 11 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/18/2008 at 6:04 PM, danelectro59 said:

Only that Robert Plant said something to the effect that "Rodney has more women than me." Which at the time, around 72-73, would've been hard to believe.

I guess that doesn't count any of the "secret girls" being sneaked into the Riot House through the back door who should have instead been going to Junior High School classes instead of looking to be picked up at The Rainbow Bar & Grill.

And does shagging one's wife's sister count toward the numbers too?