Guitars History

eagle87

I looked at that but still couldn't find the model, though his looked similar to the Les paul Jr.

But I know it wasn't a Les Paul or an SG.

Try this site redrum. It's a place where collectors from around the world put up their vintage instruments for purchase. A little digging can be very informative! :beer:

http://www.gbase.com/

From the book by Ivor Mairants

Ida Presti (1924-1967)

The young French girl needed no extra consideration from critics or reviewers. She had made a brilliant debut in Paris at the age of 14 and played in as masterly a fashion as Segovia himself: tone, feeling, technique- the lot. Incidentally, from the age of 7 til 9, she had lessons from Mario Maccaferri and later with Emilio Pujol. Women's Lib would have been proud of her no-nonsense attitude to life, music and the battle for equality. She later married Alexandre Lagoya, an excellent guitarist, and with him formed the most musically perfect guitar duet team that is ever likely to exist.

(Their duet of Handels' 'Chaconne In G' is a 13 minute tour de force) :)

There is more to Mairant's story but I don't have the time to post it all.

Here is the famous pic of the 'Ida Presti Stretch' (surrounded by admirers)

Presti%20(Small).jpg

Hey Redrum, just noticed Enumclaw in your proflie. Kasey Kahne's from Enumclaw and won the NASCAR race at Pocono yesterday. Rock on, Enumclaw! :beer:

Yep, he's the local hero. :) Here's a pic I took of his car in town a few years ago. I hope he drops by again.

Kasey_s_in_Town-570x388.jpg

Cool man! What do they think about him dancing to Rock You Like a Hurricane though? :lol:

Helluva race wasn't it? Especially after that miscue on the 2-tire stop and him coming back for the win! :beer:

Cool man! What do they think about him dancing to Rock You Like a Hurricane though? :lol:

Yeah, that's pretty funny. Lovely outfit he has on. :D

Helluva race wasn't it? Especially after that miscue on the 2-tire stop and him coming back for the win! :beer:

That was great!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a Mel Bay book 'Fernando Sor In Tab' by Ben Bolt. It has about 50 tunes and 2 cd's that Bolt plays the songs on. I used to scoff at TAB but not anymore as it is a BIG help for the higher notes/frets. (I doubt I'll ever learn the whole fretboard) :blink:

Sor was one of the early composer/geniuses for guitar music.

sor.JPG

I would like to have his portrait done in a fine line tat on my arm.

B)

I just got a Mel Bay book 'Fernando Sor In Tab' by Ben Bolt. It has about 50 tunes and 2 cd's that Bolt plays the songs on. I used to scoff at TAB but not anymore as it is a BIG help for the higher notes/frets. (I doubt I'll ever learn the whole fretboard) :blink:

Sor was one of the early composer/geniuses for guitar music.

sor.JPG

I would like to have his portrait done in a fine line tat on my arm.

B)

hey whats up man?

Good job!

hey whats up man?

Good job!

Hey!! All is well (except for my head cold) :(

I'm working on my first song from the book (Study In B Minor) and if it wasn't for TAB I'd never figure it out. I've heard a few versions of the song but Segovia's is by far the best with his beautiful vibrato. :) I just got back my DVD of him at his house in Spain (what a view of the Mediterranean) and him also playing at the Alhambra.

B)

All right man, im glad you're doing ok.

Im working with my guitar like every day, and I feel better now (I had some bad days, looooong time) and that helps me to play better.

Not having a Job was realy bad for me (most for my mind)...

All right man, im glad you're doing ok.

Im working with my guitar like every day, and I feel better now (I had some bad days, looooong time) and that helps me to play better.

Not having a Job was realy bad for me (most for my mind)...

Can you at least get unemployment?

I used to work as a laborer wrecking buildings and I SO looked forward to getting time off to recuperate from the physical grind.

I have bad days too on the guitar and I just put it away til the next day and come back refreshed. Even the pros have to get away from it to give the mind a rest.

The tune I'm working on now has some tricky fingering but since it's in TAB and traditional it gives all the info on fret/string/fingering. It's just getting the muscle memory to kick in. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Few people suspect what the study of an instrument demands. The public watch the music-miracle in comfort, never dreaming of the ascesis (self restraint) and sacrifices which the musician must perform in order to make himself capable of accomplishing it.....

Don't you agree with me that there is in the world of Art today a great crisis which threatens the love of work, and that we musicians might set an example of morality in this field? It is impossible to feign mastery of an instrument, however skilful the imposter may be: and it is impossible to achieve mastery unless he who undertakes that adventure supplements the generous gift of the gods by the stern discipline of lifelong practice. . . .

But as for us pianists, violinists, 'cellists and guitarists---how many hours of pain and self-abnegation, how many weeks, months and years do we spend polishing a single passage, burnishing it and bringing out its sparkle? And when we consider it "done to a turn", we spend the rest of our life persevering so that our fingers shall not forget the lesson or get entangled again in a brambly thicket of arpeggios, scales, trills, chords, accents and grace notes! And if we climb from that region of technique to the more spiritual sphere of interpretation, what anguish we experience in trying to find the soul of a composition behind the inert notation, and how many scruples and repentings we have before we dare to discover what does not lie hidden in the paper!

Andres Segovia on Guitar Technique

B)

I love my guitah!

led-zep-j-page.jpg

Can you feel it! B) ....

Yes!!!

B)

I just watched 'Crossroads' and loved it when Macchio beats Vai by playing a classical run on his Telecaster! (Juilliard comes through again!) :D

here you go-crossroads duel starring steve vai and ry cooder (hitting for macchio)

Thanks Beatbo! I haven't seen that in ages! What a hoot! And Macchio did a pretty admirable job of looking like he was actually playing Cooder's parts! Wax on. Wax off!! B)

Archived