Red Hot Chili Peppers

ChiliPeppers

I love their style of playing, their energetic shows, and their ability to combine so many genres into one. Losing their orginal guitarist Hillel Slovak to a heroine OD turned out to be a blessing, if you can say that. as they found amazing guitarist John Frusciante.(Rolling Stones Magazine's #18 Guitarist of all time) John invokes the spirit of Hendrix, has a funk style of play, and is incredible at improvising. They've come along way since their days where they'd occasionally only play with tube socks on, and they're still extremely popular today.

Recommended Songs:

Under the Bridge

Californication

Snow (Hey Oh)

Fight Like a Brave

Give It Away

Dani California

Knock Me Down

Discuss.

Far and away the best bass player I've heard in a newer group, but my exposure to non classic rock is minimal.

Michael "Flea" Balzary is his name. He's real energetic, but has mellowed out as he's in his mid 40s and the band is having its 25th anniversary. IF you see video of him he's a little weird, but he's the band member that wasn't on drugs. :blink::blink:

There a good band. I'm not a tremendous fan of their style, as it is cleaner by nature. I'm not the biggest lover of the vocal arrangement's either. Too rappy on many parts.

That said, they are still an awesome band that has sold a huge amount of albums, not just a few hits.

I love Dani California.

and Californication.

I Love Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication, but I thought they went right off the boil with Stadium Arcadium. I found it rather tedious. Obviously, just my personal thoughts. That said, they are amazing musicians...Chad was fantastic at Drummer Live and he is a really funny guy :)

R.H.C.P? They're an interesting band.I'm never quite sure whether I actually like them or not! In theory,as they seem to promote a version of funk,I should be a fan.But...but...both on record and live I just feel their 'take' on funk is actually pretty samey and actually a bit soul-less. These are very subjective terms,I know. For me they're a little too monochrome and mechanical,as it were ,and not really expressive or varied enough.No real joy to what they do,either.That said, there are some good snappy tunes in there and there's no doubting their energy as a live band.

They're all right....but Flea is a bit overrated he only plays a slap style. But I suppose with the style they're going for that's not too bad.

I wouldn't try to compare him with musicians from 40 years ago, but his playing stands out these days.

I wouldn't try to compare him with musicians from 40 years ago, but his playing stands out these days.

I was more thinking there are a lot of metal bassists who can play extremely difficult stuff that bassists like Flea wouldn't have the skill to. But like I said, that's not their style anyway.

I was more thinking there are a lot of metal bassists who can play extremely difficult stuff that bassists like Flea wouldn't have the skill to. But like I said, that's not their style anyway.

I have a younger friend who loves metal, and got me into Metallica and Sabbath related stuff. How about recommending some other metal bassists that are exceptional, and I'll request he gives me a sampling? (But please don't say Quiet Riot)

I have a younger friend who loves metal, and got me into Metallica and Sabbath related stuff. How about recommending some other metal bassists that are exceptional, and I'll request he gives me a sampling? (But please don't say Quiet Riot)

That depends on what kind of metal you're interested in. Of course there's Dream Theater, but you probably already know about them. I've always liked Pantera and Slayer, as far as thrash goes.

Course most bass isn't very audible, plus you wouldn't enjoy the vocals for some of the bands I like. So I direct you to some very nice youtube covers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpHJOnv_22k

Course most bass isn't very audible, plus you wouldn't enjoy the vocals for some of the bands I like.

Anything that's just a blur of noise, I would not enjoy, for sure. I need each instrument to stand out on it's own. How can I say a bass player is exceptional, to me - if their playing is not audible?

Anything that's just a blur of noise, I would not enjoy, for sure. I need each instrument to stand out on it's own. How can I say a bass player is exceptional, to me - if their playing is not audible?

It might just be me, but if a bassist isn't doing a solo or doesn't have their bass very high up in the mix, it's difficult for me to focus on that instrument because it's so low, and everything else (guitar, vocals, drums) just stands out easier no matter what.

It might just be me, but if a bassist isn't doing a solo or doesn't have their bass very high up in the mix, it's difficult for me to focus on that instrument because it's so low, and everything else (guitar, vocals, drums) just stands out easier no matter what.

Getting back to the Chili Peppers - that's what makes them stand out to me, that the bassist sounds like he is put more into the limelight on most of the songs I've heard. Drumming and vocals in alot of newer music seems either too obnoxious or too pussi-fied, and the guitar work tends to be speedy, but not very original or inspiring. Even the most celebrated guitarists from decades ago played in groups that really featured the bass, regardless of how "heavy" their sound.

Archived