Mandolin

Ma'at

I was handed this two days ago and told to learn to play it, as part of a play. For two days with a brand new instrument I'm not doing badly (Battle of Evermore is a lot easier with the right instrument!) but does anyone has any useful tips that might be of use?

picture3wl4.png

PS. You'll have to excuse the poor photo quality, I can take good photos of anything but myself, it would seem!

Mandolin is not that difficult if you already play guitar, as the tuning is the reverse: bottom, or lowest pitched pair (or more correctly, course) is G, followed by D, A and E. Therefore chord shapes are the reverse of a guitar, although you are obviously restricted to four-string chords.

RB

Yeah, I figured that out right away, I was wondering about techniques, recommendations for plectrums (Currently using a 2mm plastic pick, seems to work alright) etc.

Use lighter picks like Jim Dunlop's USA Nylon .88mm.

It,ll be a lot easier to do the faster picking with 'em.

Yeah, I figured that out right away, I was wondering about techniques, recommendations for plectrums (Currently using a 2mm plastic pick, seems to work alright) etc.

Well you need a fairly stiff plec, I use whatever I can get my hands on at the time, but thins, which are fine for lead guitar, are useless for mandolin as they break too easy, as the strings are shorter therefore tighter.

Just get used to the different tuning, it won't take long, just don't play the guitar for a while, untill you're used to the different tuning.

If your Mandolin IS in tune, you can give it to an idiot to play, it'll sound OK!

If NOT, stick yer fingers in yer ears!

Considering I pretty much had to learn overnight, it was surprisingly easy to get into. I'll give the thinner picks a try, I have (access to) a solid silver plectrum which is quite thin, but obviously a lot tougher. Apparently your meant to play with a tortoise shell one, but I have a thing about cutting up endangered species for an instrument...

Archived