Gibson Les Paul Standard - Discontinued?

Ma'at

According to the Gibson website. Does anyone know why? There's no reason specified as far as I can see.

I don't know about it being discontinued, but if you're after one, there's plenty available from the usual vendors. If they aren't showing it on Gibson's website, there may be a new edition on the horizon. Regardless, I've had a few and the quality varies widely. Don't buy by mail! Play it first! It's a lot of cash, and a winner could be a mate for life. Conversely a shoddy one could be an endless stream of tears.

According to the Gibson website. Does anyone know why? There's no reason specified as far as I can see.

I just read a review of a revamped Standard so it's not being discontinued. I also noticed you registered on my bday.

The Std isn't being discontinued. In fact there will be two "standards" to choose from: the Traditional, which is kind of based on 1980s specs, and the 2008 spec version which has some interesting updates (locking tuners, locking jack, circuit board pot mounting etc.

It's just a naming issue.

It's all on the Gibson site...

The Std isn't being discontinued. In fact there will be two "standards" to choose from: the Traditional, which is kind of based on 1980s specs, and the 2008 spec version which has some interesting updates (locking tuners, locking jack, circuit board pot mounting etc.

It's just a naming issue.

It's all on the Gibson site...

seen the 2008 standard has a plek'd neck and other upgrades, (longer neck tenon, fancy electronics amongst others), the price of this guitar is a steep £1,500 in the uk ($3,000), an increase of about £150 on the old model, perhaps a ploy by gibson to try to get people to part with a bit more money for a historic ?

seen the 2008 standard has a plek'd neck and other upgrades, (longer neck tenon, fancy electronics amongst others), the price of this guitar is a steep £1,500 in the uk ($3,000), an increase of about £150 on the old model, perhaps a ploy by gibson to try to get people to part with a bit more money for a historic ?

I could be mistaken, but I believe the "Traditional" is being built by the Custom Shop. That will always add a premium to the price (and the quality usually much better). The old LP Standard was a regular production model.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the "Traditional" is being built by the Custom Shop. That will always add a premium to the price (and the quality usually much better). The old LP Standard was a regular production model.

hi,

i'm sure the custom shop make the flagship guitars, (historics, signature models, cutoms) not the usa guitars (lp studio, classics, standards, sg, firebird, etc )

the standard has been touched up, to try to lure more people towards the more expensive guitars.

in the usa, (surely gibson biggest market) the new 08 lp standard goes for $2300- $2500) for approx $500 more dollars, you can purchase a 58 or 60 historic les paul, far superior guitars overall.

that way the demand for historics goes up, however they turn out a small number compared to the usa gibson, and people begin to covet these guitars more and more, because they are exclusive guitars and most probably wont increase their work force in the custom shop, after all they won't people to deisre their guitars. think about it.

clever gibson.

Just got the latest add from Guitar Center and Joe Walsh is on the cover holding the new Les Paul Standard '08. Why do you think its discontinued? Anyway, what do you all think a fair price is for a Les Paul Standard? New or less than 5 yrs old, not talking about old collectors editions.

In a hypothetical world where every LP that comes off the line is a great guitar, or at least the percentages remain constant, I have no problem with the price, just as long as the quality goes in, it just doesn't anymore. They slap the LP name on way too much junk too.

Well, I was looking at the Gibson USA site product list and it had a big banner across it saying \"Discontinued\".

It appears that is not the case. I don\'t like the looks of the new silver one. I like the Gold color the best, like Page used in O2. The standard that Walsh is holding in the new add is like a dark gold. Thats the best I can do at describing it. They are advertizing it as marked down from $2400ish to $2100ish. 200 watt Marshall for under $400. Too good to be true. They are a bunch of liers.

hi,

i'm sure the custom shop make the flagship guitars, (historics, signature models, cutoms) not the usa guitars (lp studio, classics, standards, sg, firebird, etc )

the standard has been touched up, to try to lure more people towards the more expensive guitars.

in the usa, (surely gibson biggest market) the new 08 lp standard goes for $2300- $2500) for approx $500 more dollars, you can purchase a 58 or 60 historic les paul, far superior guitars overall.

that way the demand for historics goes up, however they turn out a small number compared to the usa gibson, and people begin to covet these guitars more and more, because they are exclusive guitars and most probably wont increase their work force in the custom shop, after all they won't people to deisre their guitars. think about it.

Thought about it and acted! :D

That's the discontinued 2003 '59 Custom Historic in the middle; '57 Custom Historic Goldtop; a 2003 Desertburst Standard; and of course, and EDS1275 Doubleneck; The blue PRS Singlecut is an original from before Gibson stopped them making them; The Gretsch is a Brian Setzer model; the Strats are mid-90s American Standards; the Tele is an 88 which I've Frankensteined thoroughly.

Children2.jpg

Thought about it and acted! :D

That\'s the discontinued 2003 \'59 Custom Historic in the middle; \'57 Custom Historic Goldtop; a 2003 Desertburst Standard; and of course, and EDS1275 Doubleneck; The blue PRS Singlecut is an original from before Gibson stopped them making them; The Gretsch is a Brian Setzer model; the Strats are mid-90s American Standards; the Tele is an 88 which I\'ve Frankensteined thoroughly.

Children2.jpg

Damn dude! Those are all yours? Nice.

Damn dude! Those are all yours? Nice.

Some have come and gone to make way for new arrivals. My Danelectro isn't there. The Desertburst, the Goldtop (nice profit on that one!), the Doubleneck, the PRS and the Gretsch are long gone.

Some have come and gone to make way for new arrivals. My Danelectro isn\'t there. The Desertburst, the Goldtop (nice profit on that one!), the Doubleneck, the PRS and the Gretsch are long gone.

Second from the right on the bottom. Les Paul Standard? Love that one. The Gretch is the orange on top left right? I\'ve seen that model before.

Second from the right on the bottom. Les Paul Standard? Love that one. The Gretch is the orange on top left right? I\'ve seen that model before.

2nd from the right on the bottom is a 2003 Custom Historic 57 Goldtop reissue. Yeah, the Gretsch is the orange one.

Archived