Everything That Happens Will Happen Today

metal box

Never heard of them, but a cursory wikipedia search tells me that they are "Ambient, folktronica, Gospel" which sounds really interesting.

I shall check out the new album and let you know what I thought of it.

Surely you've heard of Brian Eno. David Byrne was the front man and driving force of the Talking Heads. This album and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts just happen to be the only ones they've done together.

Who's heard this? I'm a fan of Bush of Ghosts, but this one isn't getting very good reviews on RYM (the only place I go for reviews).

My husband is a huge fan of Eno and a big fan of Byrne as well - he was the one who really turned me onto their music - especially Eno's. In any case, while he is looking forward to hearing this, in his opinion, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts is a masterpiece (it's also a sentimental favorite for us because, when it was released, we brought the tape to N. Africa with us when we were working there so it will forever be connected to those experiences).

Here is a review from The Guardian:

CD: Pop review: David Byrne and Brian Eno, Everything That Happens Will Happen TodayTwenty-seven years ago, David Byrne and Brian Eno changed the face of popular music. Can they do it again? By Alexis Petridis

My husband gave this a listen and the "nicest" thing that he had to say about it was, "I can't believe that's Eno." He had me listen to it too and, to be honest, I felt the same way. That's not to say that this won't appeal to other fans - and that's not to say that it might not sound better to us after we listen to it a few more times.

My husband gave this a listen and the "nicest" thing that he had to say about it was, "I can't believe that's Eno." He had me listen to it too and, to be honest, I felt the same way. That's not to say that this won't appeal to other fans - and that's not to say that it might not sound better to us after we listen to it a few more times.

Yikes. In what way was he meaning? Too commercial sounding?

Yikes. In what way was he meaning? Too commercial sounding?

Well, it might not be "yikes" for you - that's just our personal assessment. I mentioned that my husband loves "Bush of Ghosts" but he's also a huge fan of the Steve Reich-sounding and anbient music of Eno's as well as Eno's work with Robert Fripp. He likes David Byne too - very much so but, at least upon first listen, this particular collaboration didn't appeal to him in the way that Eno's other music has - the minimalist or "otherworldly" sorts of sounds. My husband would probably describe this particular album as too commercial or mainstream. Just us though - you, and others, might like it.

Well, it might not be "yikes" for you - that's just our personal assessment. I mentioned that my husband loves "Bush of Ghosts" but he's also a huge fan of the Steve Reich-sounding and anbient music of Eno's as well as Eno's work with Robert Fripp. He likes David Byne too - very much so but, at least upon first listen, this particular collaboration didn't appeal to him in the way that Eno's other music has - the minimalist or "otherworldly" sorts of sounds. My husband would probably describe this particular album as too commercial or mainstream. Just us though - you, and others, might like it.

I'll certainly give it a listen but I tend to agree with your husband's preference of Eno's more ambient works, particularly with Reich and Fripp.

Archived