TELECASTER jimmy page

ledlead

Whole Lotta Love is pure Les Paul. He essentially retired the Tele when he got the Gibson. He did however bring it out in an inspired moment to record the Stairway solo. Then it got mothballed again until he installed a Parsons White B-bender on the instrument, and brought it back for Ten Years Gone when they toured in '77, and All My Love on ITTOD and subsequent touring with Zeppelin. But with a few exceptions (it came out again in the 80s on a few tracks like The Honeydrippers Sea of Love and with The Firm) the Tele was essentially retired in 1969. He later had a B-bender installed on his red 1973 Les Paul and the Tele basically hasn't been seen since.

FWIW, my Tele was my all around workhorse for all kinds of stuff we gigged for years, including Zeppelin (and Ozzy for that matter). Of course, a couple of Seymor Duncan pickups were essential for that workload. :lol:

Nothin wrong with a good Tele!! :beer:

I heard a friend painted over his dragon without his permission, and it messed up the electronics inside, so it couldn't play well. He scavenged the neck and put it on another tele of his.

I love the tone he gets with that tele!

Yes that's correct. In fact, if you compare photos over the course of the '77 tour you can see some where he has a maple fretboard, and some where he a rosewood one. There was definite neck-swapping going on! :beer:

Whole Lotta Love is pure Les Paul. He essentially retired the Tele when he got the Gibson. He did however bring it out in an inspired moment to record the Stairway solo. Then it got mothballed again until he installed a Parsons White B-bender on the instrument, and brought it back for Ten Years Gone when they toured in '77, and All My Love on ITTOD and subsequent touring with Zeppelin. But with a few exceptions (it came out again in the 80s on a few tracks like The Honeydrippers Sea of Love and with The Firm) the Tele was essentially retired in 1969. He later had a B-bender installed on his red 1973 Les Paul and the Tele basically hasn't been seen since.

FWIW, my Tele was my all around workhorse for all kinds of stuff we gigged for years, including Zeppelin (and Ozzy for that matter). Of course, a couple of Seymor Duncan pickups were essential for that workload. :lol:

Did he use the tele for the Black Dog solo? I've got a tele and I agree with you, nothing wrong with a good one!

The red les paul that you are refering too is not a 1973. You can find pictures of him playing it around 1971. i'm too lazy to find the picture though.

How about the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top. I have seen several covers of Zep songs on Youtube, but wondered from some of the guitarists out there if it is worth the money. How does it really sound when Zep songs are played on it?

better buy used gibson lp than new epi :)

• 2 weeks later...
The red les paul that you are refering too is not a 1973. You can find pictures of him playing it around 1971. i'm too lazy to find the picture though.

1970, not '71 ;)

Onstage in Cleveland:

LZ_by_Anastasia_Pantsios-01.jpg

...and backstage at Blueberry Hill:

1970-09-04_LosAngeles-backstage14-1.jpg

Credit to Blackmikito at the hotel for digging up all the new info on this particular guitar.

• 5 months later...
Yes that's correct. In fact, if you compare photos over the course of the '77 tour you can see some where he has a maple fretboard, and some where he a rosewood one. There was definite neck-swapping going on! :beer:

Interested in this guitar cos Syd Barrett covered his Fender Esquire in Nov 66 with silver Mylar sheeting and silver reflective discs. I think Syd saw the Yardbirds in either June 66 at Marquee or at the Albert Hall in September 66. I'd always thought he'd copied Page, but it seems its the other way around.

Rumour has it that the guitar was briefly spray painted pink!

There is that shot of the Yardbirds playing in Scandinavia in early 67, the recent Guitar World article has a pic that says January 67 I believe. Be interested to know if anybody knows more about when he modified it.

Archived