Music College!

One and Only

Sibelius Academy?

http://www.siba.fi/en/

I'm considering applying.. but I don't know if I'm good enough. I play viola in my school's symphony, and our group is well traveled for only being 4.5 years old (Carnagie, ASTA this march, some conference in chicago.. hah).

the problem is.. im not really a solo player.. and im unsure if applying to sibelius is worth the $2000 plane ticket. Do ya'll know if you have t be like.. prodigy good for this school?

please ignore my "ya'll" hahah

thanks!

I doubt you need prodigious talent

But the real question is what do you want to do with your life? If you want to be a classical musician then go for it. If you want to teach music, that would probably work too

But if you dont' want to work in music for the rest of your life, then I'd say Hell no, waste of time

I would suggest taking Music theory I and II and go from there. Unless you plan to teach music in a college for instance that may be all you need. There are some well known expensive music schools in my area, which are the Eastman School of Music and the Hochstein school of music. Also a good arts/music college called Nazareth. But it all depends on how much of the green you will have to come up with? If you are well off financially its no problem I guess to gamble. I do believe a career in music is a gamble to some degree, I mean if you plan to make money playing professionally. Teaching is another story. If you are not well off financially and need to take out large student loans then you must really give it some seriious thought.

Sibelius doesn't charge for tuition.. but money would defiantly be a problem (travel, housing, and living expenses). I'm in AP Theory right now, and I'm doing pretty well.

Is that like intro to theory or more advanced? Well if you have a way to get the tuition free, then you could work part time to cover your housing and food I would imagine? Where is this school? What state? If your heart is into it and you are young, I say do it as you only live once. If it doesnt work out then you have time on your hands. Time that I dont have. Always have a second option in mind though. A bail out plan. Just in case. But go in thinking positive. You must be positive. Never think for a minute you cant do it. You can. You just have to put in the time and practice and memorizing is difficult sometimes. If you have knowledge of piano it will help. To apply it to any instrument. Good luck and keep us posted.

AP Theory.. i think it's like theory I.. I'm not sure though.

I'm going to send in the preliminary application.. and if I pass that first round, I will be sent an invitation to Finland.. so I'll post back!

I think I'm going to get a job now.. hahah just in case.

Hi, fellow viola player!

I tell you, if you want to study the instrument, do it! And you don't need to be a great soloplayer, if you want to be an orchestra member.

I want so bad to study the viola too, and doubting if I'm good enough, but I have the aim, no, the horrible desire to do so. Talk to your teacher, he will know best what you can do.

All I can say: If music is your passion, follow the Master's Call!

Archived