Bands That Should/Shouldnt Be In The Rock And Roll...

LedZep1969

Same for Leon Russell. He was huge during the 70s and was definitely influential on nearly every keyboard/piano player that followed but the likelihood of him ever being inducted is next to none.

Let's not forget Leon's 1960's output. He wrote and arranged songs for Gary Lewis and the Playboys and probably played piano amongst a slew of other great accomplishments.

Interesting Leon fact - Did you know Leon played the piano on the Badfinger classic Day After Day. George produced the song and brought Leon in to play the subtle piano part. It's almost invisible due to the great singing (by Pete Ham), lyrics and dual slide guitars by Pete and George.

Interesting Carl Radle fact - did you know Carl played bass for Gary Lewis and the Playboys? He went on to more important things like being Clapton's bass player for much of the 70's.

You're welcome. :)

I just wanted to make sure that you really knew they were a band at the beginning and become more of a business with Perry.

Just your opinion of course (not that that matters or anything). I'm sure there's millions who disagree with you...

R B)

If Journey's ever inducted they should just go ahead and close the doors. The only thing worse than them being inducted is that Madonna's already in.

I didn't know those things about Leon but have always been aware of his vast session work. Quite a few years ago Glen Campbell was on Later With Bob Costas and mentioned working with Leon on commercial jingles back in the 60s, one of which was for Pepsodent.

Another cool bit of Leon trivia is that he is the one that coined the term "Swampers" for the musicians at Muscle Shoals which made it's way into Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd. To tie that even further in with Skynyrd, the late Leon Wilkeson's full name was Leon Russell Wilkeson. Funny enough, Leon's real name is Russell Bridges. He's coming to the area soon and I'd like to see him. He played here a few years ago and while he was good, it seemed he was kind of just going through the motions. I understand he's even better now so I'd like to give him another chance. The only other time I've seen him was back in the 80s when he was touring in support of his Solid State album. I do wish I had seen him during his heyday back in the 70s. Leon Live is definitely one of my favorite live albums ever.

Yeah, I'd love to see him live too, but I don't think there's a big chance he's coming over here.. Leon Live is indeed a great live album!

Jethro, that's a great clip! The man is rockin'!! And so are the girls!!!

Couple of more things and then I'll shut the fuck up.

Leon was a popular name in the late 60's, early 70's playing with the likes of Delaney and Bonnie, Joe Cocker and Eric Clapton. What catapulted him into superstar territory was his performance at The Concert for Bangladesh. A medley of Jumping Jack Flash and Youngblood. Two(2) points for each person you can ID on stage. Oh, oh, the sexy black chick is there. It wouldn't be fair to say that Leon stole the show, but....

Leon at The Concert for Bangladesh

I did see Leon about 10 years ago at Club Bene in Sayreville, NJ. What a shithole of a town and venue. The song "Magic Mirror" was a highlight for me. Not one of his better known songs, its paints quite a dark picture.

Leon signed autographs after the show. He was in this large mobile home he travels in and a band member brought things in for him to sing. Wish I had my Asylum Choir I LP - Welcome to Hollywood.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is an outright joke and just another part of the music industry.How could it be anything less when Link Wray isn't in it?

Like I've said, it'll never live up to everyone's expectations because there's no way they'll ever induct everyone we feel should be in there.

Link Wray (a N.C. native) did have a guitar he gave Rick Miller (of Chapel Hill's Southern Culture on the Skids) on display last year at an exhibit devoted to N.C. roots music. It was still coated in chicken grease from all of the Southern Culture shows (where throwing fried chicken, banana puddin' and watermelon is the order of the day).

Like I've said, it'll never live up to everyone's expectations because there's no way they'll ever induct everyone we feel should be in there.

Link Wray (a N.C. native) did have a guitar he gave Rick Miller (of Chapel Hill's Southern Culture on the Skids) on display last year at an exhibit devoted to N.C. roots music. It was still coated in chicken grease from all of the Southern Culture shows (where throwing fried chicken, banana puddin' and watermelon is the order of the day).

Wow I forgot about Southern Culture on the Skids. I saw them years ago, minus the food throwing :D

Wow I forgot about Southern Culture on the Skids. I saw them years ago, minus the food throwing :D

I guess it hasn't always happened at every show but I thought at least the fried chicken thing did. It's in their contract rider that they must have a box of fried chicken or they won't perform which apparently posed a problem at one of their early gigs in Spain. Chicken wasn't available so a turkey was provided instead. SCOTS is definitely one of my very favorite bands to see live just be sure not to wear your Sunday best.

I guess it hasn't always happened at every show but I thought at least the fried chicken thing did. It's in their contract rider that they must have a box of fried chicken or they won't perform which apparently posed a problem at one of their early gigs in Spain. Chicken wasn't available so a turkey was provided instead. SCOTS is definitely one of my very favorite bands to see live just be sure not to wear your Sunday best.

Is there some sort of story or reason behind the food throwing or is it just something they do for kicks?

Is there some sort of story or reason behind the food throwing or is it just something they do for kicks?

I'm not sure when or how it started but I know it's been part of their show for a long, long time. It also plays into their send up of Southern stereotypes. Sometimes you get the fried chicken and banana puddin'. Sometimes you get all that plus the watermelon. Then there's the appearances by Mexican wrestler "Santo". I'm guessing the fried chicken thing began as a tie-in with their song 8 Piece Box. Same for the banana pudding and their song, well, Banana Pudding. When they used to play the now defunct Sleazefest, a 3 day extravaganza of b-grade movies, barbeque and beer at Chapel Hill's Local 506 you'd get things like a wading pool full of banana puddin' and "BBQ baptisms" where audience members were brought up on stage and baptized with Scott's BBQ sauce. I've posted some concert clips below as well as a link to a documentary about the first ever Sleazefest (back when it was just two days long).

Sleazefest

I'm not sure when or how it started but I know it's been part of their show for a long, long time. It also plays into their send up of Southern stereotypes. Sometimes you get the fried chicken and banana puddin'. Sometimes you get all that plus the watermelon. Then there's the appearances by Mexican wrestler "Santo". I'm guessing the fried chicken thing began as a tie-in with their song 8 Piece Box. Same for the banana pudding and their song, well, Banana Pudding. When they used to play the now defunct Sleazefest, a 3 day extravaganza of b-grade movies, barbeque and beer at Chapel Hill's Local 506 you'd get things like a wading pool full of banana puddin' and "BBQ baptisms" where audience members were brought up on stage and baptized with Scott's BBQ sauce. I've posted some concert clips below as well as a link to a documentary about the first ever Sleazefest (back when it was just two days long).

Sleazefest

That's great - thanks for the information and links Jahfin!

OK....What planet did you come from? Are you even aware enough to know if it wasn't for the Beatles igniting their music all over this world, you would not be getting to hear what you listen to. Also.. Pink Floyd is one of the most creative bands in Rock n Roll history...

Now it is apparent some of you don't know what good taste is...And that is the youth of today....But Led Zeepelin will always be the best band in the world!!!!!Rabbitt

.....................................STOP THE NEGATIVITY.....................................

OK....What planet did you come from? Are you even aware enough to know if it wasn't for the Beatles igniting their music all over this world, you would not be getting to hear what you listen to. Also.. Pink Floyd is one of the most creative bands in Rock n Roll history...

Now it is apparent some of you don't know what good taste is...And that is the youth of today....But Led Zeepelin will always be the best band in the world!!!!!Rabbitt

.....................................STOP THE NEGATIVITY.....................................

You're telling them to stop being negative - I'd not exactly call your post warm and fuzzy. Taste is subjective and people are certainly entitled to like or dislike something.

:rolleyes:

Even the news story refers to Run DMC as a "rap" duo. Therefore they're not "rock n' roll". I don't think they or Madonna belong in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. You also have Bobby Womack being inducted who isn't exactly "rock" but I feel he belongs in for the same reason many other Soul/R & B performers do, because of their profound influence on rock n' roll. Rap and dance music like Madonna makes have no place in there. I do understand why they've been inducted though, it comes down to two words: Jann Wenner. His definition of "rock n' roll" defers very greatly from mine.

I'd say Run DMC is a rap duo too, but there is a lot of rock in their music, maybe even to call them rock. For a while they had guitar riffs in almost every song. It's probably their fault we got bands like Faith No More, Ugly Kid Joe, Limp Bisquit and all those rock bands who incorporated rap in their music later on.

Archived