Trying to figure out a certain art style

DoubleNecker

I'm sure some of you will know, I've recently began to really enjoy art that associates with jazz and blues from the 30s/40s/50s/60s or so, but I can only remember what I saw in books in school and I don't know any names and the "example" I have is

afa3km.jpg

Which is similar to what I'm looking for.

Can anyone tell me?

That illustration there, from Weather Report's 8:30 album, is by Steve Smith, but alas he's an artist I know very little about, in fact, nothing at all.

I agree too that it does bear some resemblance to Romare Bearden's work, and I can also see some influences from R.B. Kitaj, but to me it looks like it's basically a late 1970's variation on Pop Art, probably owing a lot of inspiration to early-mid 70's post psychedelic commercial art.

I don't really see the picture, stylistically, being tied together with Jazz.

That illustration there, from Weather Report's 8:30 album, is by Steve Smith, but alas he's an artist I know very little about, in fact, nothing at all.

I agree too that it does bear some resemblance to Romare Bearden's work, and I can also see some influences from R.B. Kitaj, but to me it looks like it's basically a late 1970's variation on Pop Art, probably owing a lot of inspiration to early-mid 70's post psychedelic commercial art.

I don't really see the picture, stylistically, being tied together with Jazz.

I see how it's a loose interpretation of what Harlem scene was like in that time period. When I was in New Orleans, I bought a print from a local artist who depicted a jazz band from that era and it had the same feel to it.

That reminds me of Romare Bearden's collages. His are usually a tad more abstract and Cubist-influenced than that picture, but they've got the same kind of jazzy/bluesy vibe and they're in the same time period you're looking for. Hope that helps!

Romare%20Bearden%2016%20Mill%20Hands%20Lunch%20Bucket%201978_jpg.jpg

Similar but not entirely what I'm looking for. Apparently this was in the late 70s, I'm looking for the ones that are about 30 years before that. I should probably go the library and skim through some art books.

I like this guys art, I never do see enough "black" art.

That's really some awesome artwork in that link you provided redrum. Cool how this thread worked out and doublenecker found what he was looking for.

A fellow member comes through ! :D

We're here to help!

:D

My fave type of art is scratchboard. I love the stark contrasts.

Russell_smokingkid.jpg

i recommend a book written by an artist, stephen longstreet: "sportin' house -new orleans and the birth of jazz". longstreet has a large body of music-inspired art, particulary jazz and blues. the book i mentioned is one of the most precious that i own, as i have a first edition, but it can still be had.

here are some examples:

2233108364_0b544c12f0.jpg

1950s_jazz_funeral.jpg

2232318475_26db3e8914.jpg

here is a link to a website for him:

stephen longstreet

i hope this helps.

beat

Archived