Zep Wheels

fsmith9095

Nice pics man, I am a serious car guy myself (Ford's mainly) Do you have info. on which cars belong to who? My guess is most were Bonzo's.

Check this out

http://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=75244

BTW, do you have any bigger pics?

Mick Bonham said Bonzo's favorite car was this Jensen convertable.

am_JB-7.jpg

Also found this

In October 1999 a 1936 Cord 810 Phaeton owned by Jimmy Page, guitarist of Led Zeppelin, sold at auction in the UK for £85,000.

I wish i could get a picture of it but back in the 70's a 69' Pontiac GTO used to race at Detroit Dragway, before it was destroyed, and on the rear quarter panel it said "Zep".

Nice pics man, I am a serious car guy myself (Ford's mainly) Do you have info. on which cars belong to who? My guess is most were Bonzo's.

Check this out

http://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=75244

BTW, do you have any bigger pics?

Mick Bonham said Bonzo's favorite car was this Jensen convertable.

am_JB-7.jpg

Also found this

In October 1999 a 1936 Cord 810 Phaeton owned by Jimmy Page, guitarist of Led Zeppelin, sold at auction in the UK for £85,000.

I wish i could get a picture of it but back in the 70's a 69' Pontiac GTO used to race at Detroit Dragway, before it was destroyed, and on the rear quarter panel it said "Zep".

Thanks man. Yes.most of the cars above are Bonzo's. The few execptions are the truck that Robert is standing next to as well as the burgundy Aston-Martin that also belonged to Robert and was recently up for auction. I believe it was going for $300,000 or more.

Thanks for the link to the cool pics from TSRTS. Unfortunatley I don't have any bigger pics of the photos above.

That Cord of Jimmy's sounds nice. I'd read that he had a few cars but never got a driver's licence. I'd love to own that thing. Damn. I wonder who owns it now.

Speaking of drag cars,I know a few years ago there was a custom built racer that was called The Zeppelin or something like that. It was made in the theme of the band. I'd seen pics of it but that was a while ago.

I don't even think it was a van it was just a station wagon like this one.

1970_Ford_Country_Squire.jpg

Looks like something out of the Brady Bunch! But that's right-I recall the story about them almost going off the road while Cole was driving them thru the snow from Seattle to their next gig in 68.

I think I read that they used a Ford van for their first tour in the UK.

So it could be both the station wagon and the van.

I also wonder where the Caddy limos, "slutmobiles" as Cole referred to them are now. The one that were in TSRTS are probably worth millions.

Good question. I wonder if they had the foresight to preserve them back then. Hard to say. Maybe they're in a garage somewhere.

Here's one of them.

slutmobile.jpg

• 10 months later...

Good question. I wonder if they had the foresight to preserve them back then. Hard to say. Maybe they're in a garage somewhere.

Frank, if Al Golub's brother Harold is still in Chicago he may be able to say for certain:

Al Golub , 59 - chauffeured celebs such as Sinatra, Elvis

Chicago Sun-Times - July 17, 2001

Author: NANCY MOFFETT

Al Golub was chauffeur to the stars, with clients like Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra_for whose entourage Mr. Golub once provided 400 White Castle burgers as well as a ride from the airport.

Mr. Golub , 59, known to Led Zeppelin as one of the "our boys from Chicago," died Friday at Northwestern Memorial Hospital after suffering a heart attack.

He was president of Chicago Limousine Services, which he owned with his brother.

"We just drove everybody. We drove the Kennedys. We drove the Beatles separately . . . Liberace_it's endless," said Mr. Golub 's brother, Harold Golub .

Other notable riders included Tom Jones, Tony Bennett, Diana Ross, the Beach Boys, the Eagles, Rod Stewart, Billy Joel and David Bowie, among others.

Mr. Golub was so sought-after that once in the early 1970s, when Bowie arrived in town by train from Detroit, he took a cab straight to the Golubs' answering service, even though it was after hours. A convention had made hotel rooms a rare commodity, but the Golub brothers were able to settle Bowie into a room at The Drake_and below the sixth floor, as requested, Harold said.

"There were times we had a lot of clout," he said, adding, " Al went almost everywhere in the Midwest with Elvis."

Mr. Golub also drove for Sinatra for some 30 years. Once the Golubs were asked to show up at Midway Airport with 400 White Castle hamburgers for the singer and his entourage.

The brothers looked so much alike that once when Sinatra had a date in Milwaukee, Mr. Golub picked him up at Midway and drove him to Meigs Field for the last leg of the trip. When Sinatra alighted in Milwaukee, he saw Harold waiting and said, " Al , how did you get here so quick?" Harold recalled.

For months at a time, Mr. Golub went on the road with the Beach Boys and Sly and the Family Stone.

"It is important for us to treat everybody equal, whether they were Elvis or the road crew for Sonny and Cher," Mr. Golub was quoted by the Associated Press in 1987.

The brothers' picture is in a book about Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven," in which they are identified as "Our boys in Chicago," Harold Golub said.

"We had a lot of fun," he said.

Besides his brother, Mr. Golub 's survivors include his wife, Patricia Miranda; and two sons, Dean and Jason.

Services were Monday. Burial was in Westlawn Cemetery, 7801 W. Montrose.

Frank, if Al Golub's brother Harold is still in Chicago he may be able to say for certain:

Al Golub , 59 - chauffeured celebs such as Sinatra, Elvis

Chicago Sun-Times - July 17, 2001

Author: NANCY MOFFETT

Al Golub was chauffeur to the stars, with clients like Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra_for whose entourage Mr. Golub once provided 400 White Castle burgers as well as a ride from the airport.

Steve,

Very interesting. I am in Chicago and will see if I can find Harold. Maybe he'll do an interview.

Thanks!

Steve,

Very interesting. I am in Chicago and will see if I can find Harold. Maybe he'll do an interview.

Thanks!

Found him! I have 3 numbers for him-probably business and personal numbers. I'll give him a call and see if he would be interesting in recounting any stories. I'll PM or post here once a connection is made.

• 1 year later...

Zeppelin Led balloon

By Quentin Willson in The Mirror (UK) on August 21, 2010

Bonham_Interceptor-22-08-120.jpg

You missed an inexpensive chunk of celebrity memorabilia this week.

Bought new by Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham in 1972, this Jensen Interceptor III has only done 66,000 miles and looks in decent nick. It made just £5,200. Rock star supercars don't come much cheaper.

--------

This from proby73:

I also found a reference to Bonzo owning approximately eight Jensen Interceptors. (FF's are a 4WD version)

Jensen Interceptor John Bonham CON 8K Reef Blue / Black

Jensen Interceptor John Bonham AJW70H Pimpernel /Black

Jensen Interceptor John Bonham TKY938K White /Black

Jensen Interceptor Pat Bonham PAT 38 White /Black

Jensen Interceptor John Bonham J 4676 White / Red

Jensen Interceptor Convertible John Bonham JB 7 Black

Jensen FF John Bonham JB12 California Sage / Beige

Jensen FF John Bonham JB11 Silver Grey / Black

Archived