tips from the experts

lucyinthesky

listen, friends, I've been thinking this could be a good idea: A thread where everyone, who wants to listen to a new band, but doesn't know which album to buy, could ask others, who aleady know the band for suggestions.

I have this problem quite often, with my small pocket money I can't afford to buy the wrong LPs.

So I'd like to start:

THe Grateful Death

Country Joe and the Fish

What do you suggest?

^^thanks, I meant them...sorry for the misspelling :blush:

I'll get what they have in the second hand shop.

No worries! I just wondered if there was another band with a similar name I didn't know about :)

The one Jahfin recommended below is another good one.

Hi Lucyinthesky, check out http://www.allmusic.com/. You can browes ANY artist. It's probably the greates music site on the internet. You can find biographies, album reviews and sound clips of almost any artist from all over the world. You can find the most obscure song and artist at allmusic.com. I use to check out song clips of obscure singles I find on eBay, just to see if it's worth purchasing.

Here's the Greatful Dead and Country Joe discographies, with ratings and reviews:

Greatful Dead Discography

Country Joe & The Fish Discography

ENJOY! :DB)

EDIT to add the link to Country Joe's discography.

No need to apologize. :D It's a great topic!

It is! I love hearing other people's recommendations especially on a board because you have the ability to ask questions, see what else they like etc. Reading about an artist is good, such as a guidebook but sometimes I've gone by their suggestions for a starter album and learn that wasn't the best place to start. But it's all part of the fun of exploring!

With the internet at one's disposal it's easier now more than ever to sample an artists' songs before buying any of their records.

It sure is. It's also easier for unknown bands to reach out with their music.

It is! I love hearing other people's recommendations especially on a board because you have the ability to ask questions, see what else they like etc. Reading about an artist is good, such as a guidebook but sometimes I've gone by their suggestions for a starter album and learn that wasn't the best place to start. But it's all part of the fun of exploring!

Precisely. ;)

Anyone suggest a good starting place for The Flying Burrito Brothers or Gram Parsons? I've read a few possibilities but wouldn't mind some input here.

Here's a Burritos and a Gram twofer:

51Q8WP7GY5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Gilded Palace of Sin

419yl3SnRWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

G.P. & Grievous Angel

Anyone suggest a good starting place for The Flying Burrito Brothers or Gram Parsons? I've read a few possibilities but wouldn't mind some input here.

If you are limiting that to "official release" FBB with GP there really isn't all that much to chose from, same with GP's solo material. IMO all of it is top notch and the outtake albums are really good so one really can't go wrong. However as a primer I would start with Gilded Palace Of Sin and work outwards from there, even before you tackle GP's solo stuff.

Then once you can't stand it and need more head for the rest including the Sub Band stuff, Byrds' Sweetheart album (specifically the reissue with the GP vocals), Sleepless Nights and any FBB comp you can find.

Country Joe and the Fish

What do you suggest?

Not a lot to chose from there since they only released 5 albums and a couple of hard to find EP's in their day, the reunion stuff ins't all that great. That said my fave is Here We Are Again, Donovan's Reef is one of the heaviest things I've ever heard. Barry Melton played some trippy as shit on guitar on all of that stuff. You can start anywhere with this band, all of their stuff is kind of samey. Not in a bad way just that they had a unique sound and pretty much stuck to it, if you burned a mix cd it would be tough to tell what songs were on what album unless you are familiar with their work. It matters not because it's all good.

Worth checking out is what little live video clips there are of this band. The Monterey Pop footage is very cool.

Here's a Burritos and a Gram twofer:

51Q8WP7GY5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Gilded Palace of Sin

419yl3SnRWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

G.P. & Grievous Angel

If you are limiting that to "official release" FBB with GP there really isn't all that much to chose from, same with GP's solo material. IMO all of it is top notch and the outtake albums are really good so one really can't go wrong. However as a primer I would start with Gilded Palace Of Sin and work outwards from there, even before you tackle GP's solo stuff.

Then once you can't stand it and need more head for the rest including the Sub Band stuff, Byrds' Sweetheart album (specifically the reissue with the GP vocals), Sleepless Nights and any FBB comp you can find.

Excellent! Thanks for the suggestions (and you too Swede :D ). I've noted them all.

Not a lot to chose from there since they only released 5 albums and a couple of hard to find EP's in their day, the reunion stuff ins't all that great. That said my fave is Here We Are Again, Donovan's Reef is one of the heaviest things I've ever heard. Barry Melton played some trippy as shit on guitar on all of that stuff. You can start anywhere with this band, all of their stuff is kind of samey. Not in a bad way just that they had a unique sound and pretty much stuck to it, if you burned a mix cd it would be tough to tell what songs were on what album unless you are familiar with their work. It matters not because it's all good.

Worth checking out is what little live video clips there are of this band. The Monterey Pop footage is very cool.

I've read that my favorite bassist, Jack Casady, was a member of Country Joe's band at one time. Is he on "Here We Are Again"? I've been meaning to check it out...

I've read that my favorite bassist, Jack Casady, was a member of Country Joe's band at one time. Is he on "Here We Are Again"? I've been meaning to check it out...

I don't think he was ever an official member or anything like that but he did play with CJATF at some point, though I think it was primarily in a live setting. No doubt it's possible he played on Here We Are Again, Jack got around quite a bit in those days.

I'll start with the ones you suggested first and then see how it works, but made a note of it just in case.

It's actually the same two Gram albums (with bonus tracks) I already recommended plus a third disc full of alternate takes. Like I said, more of a collection for completists. If you end up getting into Gram you'll soon learn there's lots of other stuff out there to choose from aside from the proper studio releases such as the live disc that was released last year that was discovered in the Grateful Dead's vaults.

Archived