Has Clapton Ever Said Anything about Jimmy's playing?"

Ted Servo

Music as a competition always bewilders me. You expect that mentality from jocks and bullies but coming from music fans it's strange.

I don't get it either because taste is subjective so what I may think is great someone else feels otherwise. Who's right? No one.

I don't get it either because taste is subjective so what I may think is great someone else feels otherwise. Who's right? No one.

That's for sure. I think the thing that bothers me is that train of thought, competition, pretty much goes against what most if not all peace loving classic rock era musicians believed in, at least as it pertained to relating to other like minded people and musicians. Even the angrier bands of the era like the MC5 and Stooges directed their contempt towards the fundamental right. These days we have conservative right leaning rock fans who worship bands who definitely did and do not share their beliefs and certainly wouldn't have encouraged the petty competition of what they consider art. It's not organized sports, there shouldn't be all the chest beating that gets done these days. The contradiction is kind of humorous though.

Watch this till the end and then say that......

I am afraid I am in the camp of he doesn't do it for me, but watching that clip he does have a nice tone and sound. I do remember seeing him at a festival and although most of his music bores the pants off me, he certainly blew Mark knopfler off the stage that day. When you saw the two playing together you realised EC was good.

Not long after "In Through the Out Door", Beck was on Jim Ladd's "Innerview" show. Ladd asked Beck what he thought of Page's playing. Beck said, "Jim? Which period?" Ladd said the current one. Beck said, "When it comes to thinking of riffs and acoustic work -- there is no one better. But it's in his solos that I'm afraid he loses me. But," he added. "If you were to cast a rock band, you couldn't do it any better than with that one." Also asked about Rod Stewart. "Oh, some bloke who was in my band at one time." (This is from memory).

Ladd asked Brian May about Zeppelin in the late '70's on his show. He wondered if the line "give her every inch of your love" from "Tie Your Mother Down" was a dig at Zeppelin -- something to do with some kind of competition between the bands. May was almost exasperated, "Good Lord, why would you think that?! Led Zeppelin is almost definitely my favorite rock band. If I'm in the same part of the World as them when they are playing, I will do anything I can to go see them." He added, "The musicianship is that band is quite high." (also from memory).

Two years ago on Bob Coburn's "Rockline" show, Satriani said that he has always thought that Beck and Page are as great as Hendrix.

Archived