Has Clapton Ever Said Anything about Jimmy's playing?"

Ted Servo

It seems to be the general consensus among fans that they favor Clapton's work with Cream and Derek and the Dominoes over his solo output. As far as the "Clapton Is God" sloganeering I tend to agree. That said, I also enjoy a great deal of his solo work, 461 Ocean Boulevard especially.

On his recent tour Clapton has included the likes of Robert Cray, Doyle Bramhall and Derek Trucks in his band. I think the main reason was to light a fire in Clapton himself again. From most accounts I've heard and read from those that attended shows on his last tour, it seems to have worked.

All that said, my favorite guitarist out of Clapton, Beck and Page remains to be Page. The only guitarist I like more would be the late great Jimi Hendrix. I would also put Duane Allman right up there.

I should say I do enjoy Clapton's post-Dominos blues work...and the odd song here or there (Cocaine, etc) but overall I find it very disappointing...let's face it, his legacy and the reason he is a legend is based on work he completed when he was 25 (when the Doms broke up!)!

I suppose it depends of who you ask. Personally as I get older I find I listen to less and less hard rock. I have a bunch of EC stuff and more often than not I grab for Reptile or Journeyman. I admire that he didn't pigeonhole himself into the hard rock thing. I was hoping Jimmy would take a similar route, I'd like to hear an album of oldies, guitar classics or see him paired with a singer willing to tackle some softer standards, another Honeydrippers type of project would be cool.

JPJ said Jimmy's playing is "rockier" now than it was back in the day. Jimmy taste hasn't mellowed with age, despite the way he allowed himself to be caged in back for WiC. I'm sure if he put out another album it would be more in the vein of Coverdale/Page than Honeydrippers.

What's fantastic about his post-Dominos output? It's just my own personal opinion, but I think it's garbage...but before that, he was fantastic...

You are high. Clapton has done some amazing stuff since then (Ex/ Forever man, Unplugged, the Journey Man album, his album collaborations with BB King and J Cale,etc.). WTF is it with so many people hating on EC here? He's one of the greatest guitarists ever. Most of the people who rag on him have probably never seen him live. I've gone over ten times to see him because he ALWAYS puts on a great show. His solos are pure emotion and he plays with some of the best musicians around. So many people act like they are music experts on here but basically hate anyone other than Zeppelin. Bullocks!!

JPJ said Jimmy's playing is "rockier" now than it was back in the day. Jimmy taste hasn't mellowed with age...

Thankfully!! Though he can also play some lovely, sensitive stuff as we all know. I'd be disappointed if he ever went the mellow, dinner party way like... you know... that other guy he's often compared & contrasted to (not Jeff Beck).

You are high. Clapton has done some amazing stuff since then (Ex/ Forever man, Unplugged, the Journey Man album, his album collaborations with BB King and J Cale,etc.). WTF is it with so many people hating on EC here? He's one of the greatest guitarists ever. Most of the people who rag on him have probably never seen him live. I've gone over ten times to see him because he ALWAYS puts on a great show. His solos are pure emotion and he plays with some of the best musicians around. So many people act like they are music experts on here but basically hate anyone other than Zeppelin. Bullocks!!

I don't hate him :D

While My Guitar Gently Weeps is amazing! Especially in the Bangladesh concert, but I must admit I'm not familiar with his more recent live stuff. Sorry.

In Eric's biography, he has a few things to say about Jimmy:

"Though I rated Jeff Beck, and also Jimmy Page, thier roots were in rockabilly, while mine were iin the blues. I loved what they did, and there was no competiveness between us; we just played different styles."

About the ARMS concert:

"It was a fantastic success with a terrific atmosphere. We were all playing together for the first time, and because we were doing it for Ronnie, rather than for money, we left our egos at the door and it was a blast. In fact, we enjoyed ourselves so much that it was decided that if everyone would agree, we should take the show on the road to try to make a lot of money for ARMS. The result was a successful tour of America, playing twenty-thousand-seat arenas in Dallas, San Francisco, LA, and New York, with all of us having a thoroughly great time."

Here is a video of Jimmy and Paul Rogers at the ARMS concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK1AJaEXdpI...feature=related

I love Jimmy's dancing moves! :lol:

Yo, sorry Zep Fanatic. Didn't mean to sound so condescending. I'm just tired of the EC bashing I've heard so much in the past from others on here. He's one of my favorite artists next to Zeppelin. You were the straw that broke it. To each their own. If you get a chance though, try some of his live stuff on youtube (esp. I Shot The Sheriff) It's cool to see some good comments on here about Eric.

clapton and page are no threat to each other. each have built and scaled their own mountains. there is room for everyone, and if anything, the good taste that led you to zep (pardon the pun) should have led you to any other great music around, including eric clapton. in my heart, i don't believe that eric wishes he had done zeppelin, but i also feel he can't and wouldn't deny them. (jack bruce-another story).

eric has also helped many of us that had to deal with addiction-both our own and those of our loved ones. this, too, has given me alot of respect for this musician.

I've often wondered what is the relationship of Clapton and Page. Has Clapton ever said what he thinks of him as a guitarist. I know during the ARMS concert, Clapton said he thought Beck was just about his favorite of any at the time. Then again, Page was I think struggling out of his addiction at the time, so he wasn't really playing at his best. Anyone know what Eric thinks of Page and Zeppelin?

He didn't like what Led Zeppelin was about, the largess of it ... There was an interview in Guitar Player, or one of those things, in the 70's-early 1980's where Clapton was talking about the Yardbirds "blues" guitarists, and he reserved high praise for the power of Beck's playing but when he got to Page, mentioned something about Led Zeppelin and that "there was something else going on there" - whatever that meant. That could mean anything - the largess of arena rock, Page's occult interest, whatever. It wasn't snide or anything like that, but his attitude was clearly that Led Zeppelin wasn't for him, not his kind of band.

Then during the ARMS thing, he and Page were reportedly kind of distant, but that was attributed to Page's drug use. You can find video of them playing the instrumental stairway on Youtube, and you can see that Clapton's reaction to Page is kind of one of bemused awe as Page is taking over and leaving no room for the others to play ... he says something to Beck at one point. It seems a bit "vibey" to me, like they didn't really have a good rapport.

No wonder Page seemed surprised that Clapton said nice things about the Firm (I'm referring to SteveAJones post about the conversation between Ahmet Ertegan and Jimmy in 1984).

wow, that was all 25 years ago, now ...

WTF is it with so many people hating on EC here? He's one of the greatest guitarists ever. Most of the people who rag on him have probably never seen him live.

There's tons of artists I've never seen live (and most likely never will for a variety of reasons) but that doesn't mean I'm unable to express an opinion about them. That reminds me of the ones that have said unless you're a musician then you have no right to speak on the subject of music. I can't play a note but it doesn't stop me from being knowledgeable about music or expressing an opinion about what does or doesn't move me as a listener.

As for Clapton, I feel as though he peaked as a guitarist on the Hendrix, Page, Duane, etc. level during his earlier days with Cream and the Dominoes but that doesn't mean everything he's done since should be entirely discounted. The main reason I got burnt out on him several years ago was because of Classic Rock radio, something that's not his fault at all. He's played in so many different bands that are part of the regular rotation on there that it's hard to go for more than an hour or two without constantly being bombarded by all things Clapton. Again, that's no fault of his own but was one of several reasons why I subscribed to satellite radio a few years back.

Due to the massive classic rock radio blitz I get that feeling from almost every classic rock era band, including Zep. It's cd's and streaming inet radio for me these days. I still listen to quite a bit of Clapton, mostly because I spend time learning guitar stuff from his stuff. Other stuff not so much.

you can see that Clapton's reaction to Page is kind of one of bemused awe as Page is taking over and leaving no room for the others to play ...

I saw that same look on Clapton's face in 2007 at his Crossroad's festival when Buddy Guy came out after what most in the audience thought was the finale (AND LEFT THE ARENA!!) and proceeded to see Buddy go into some sort of psychedelic blues outer space sole thing with his spastic and brilliant playing that Clapton was like, "how the f--- do I follow that?"

I've often wondered what is the relationship of Clapton and Page. Has Clapton ever said what he thinks of him as a guitarist. I know during the ARMS concert, Clapton said he thought Beck was just about his favorite of any at the time. Then again, Page was I think struggling out of his addiction at the time, so he wasn't really playing at his best. Anyone know what Eric thinks of Page and Zeppelin?

This doesn't answer your question, but I read once in an interview of Jimmy saying he was hurt initially that he was not asked right away to join the ARMS line-up. He said--in a forgiving way as far as I could tell--that Clapton told him he just assumed Jimmy "was no longer playing the game;" that is, performing live, as Clapton knew from first-hand experience the crippling effects of heroin use and guitar playing.

This doesn't answer your question, but I read once in an interview of Jimmy saying he was hurt initially that he was not asked right away to join the ARMS line-up. He said--in a forgiving way as far as I could tell--that Clapton told him he just assumed Jimmy "was no longer playing the game;" that is, performing live, as Clapton knew from first-hand experience the crippling effects of heroin use and guitar playing.

That's the impression I got from Clapton as well.

From reading his autobiography, I would say Clapton has respect for Jimmy as guitarist, it's just not his style of music. There might be a bit of jealousy there for what LZ achieved. Those feelings are often covered up by knocking the band in question, though, and EC hasn't done that. At least not in anything I've read.

Clapton and Page are both geniuses who play different styles. Sometimes I'm in the mood for one, sometimes the other, but their brilliance is always in evidence.

Not sure why it has to be a competition. I love them both. So NEENER! :P

From reading his autobiography, I would say Clapton has respect for Jimmy as guitarist, it's just not his style of music. There might be a bit of jealousy there for what LZ achieved. Those feelings are often covered up by knocking the band in question, though, and EC hasn't done that. At least not in anything I've read.

Clapton and Page are both geniuses who play different styles. Sometimes I'm in the mood for one, sometimes the other, but their brilliance is always in evidence.

Not sure why it has to be a competition. I love them both. So NEENER! :P

:yesnod: :yesnod: I don't think of it as a competition either. They stem from a similar starting place and took that in different directions. I guess I probably lean more towards Jimmy's work than Clapton but that doesn't discount his ability or musical contributions.

Archived