Scott Weiland

Bong-Man

On 12/30/2015 at 10:03 PM, Disco Duck said:

From what I've read, Weiland did seek help for his addictions...numerous times.  It just didn't seem to stick.  I don't know much about addiction but I remember an internet discussion I read a few years ago about the rock music world, drugs and alcohol.  One of the posters claimed to be a counselor who worked with musicians, roadies, and others in the industry.  He commented that some of his clients wound up having to chose between their music industry careers and sobriety.  In these cases, alcohol or drug abuse had become so intertwined with their professional lives the client couldn't maintain his/her sobriety without changing careers.  

With no sources and a claim that you don't know much about addiction, why do you post this pointless garbage? 

He was just another person who had a right to live his life and make his own choices. Just like you. Just like me.

He wasn't here to be an example of good or bad or right or wrong or to explain his choices to anyone.

Dissecting his behavior is pointless. He did what he had to do. Can you understand that? 

His wife knew who he was when she married him. And now she walks away with his estate.

Welcome to the facts of life.

Just now, Badgeholder Still said:

With no sources and a claim that you don't know much about addiction, why do you post this pointless garbage? 

He was just another person who had a right to live his life and make his own choices. Just like you. Just like me.

He wasn't here to be an example of good or bad or right or wrong or to explain his choices to anyone.

Dissecting his behavior is pointless. He did what he had to do. Can you understand that? 

His wife knew who he was when she married him. And now she walks away with his estate.

Welcome to the facts of life.

Give me a break! People post opinions here all the time without the sources to back them up.  To answer your question: I don't have to understand Weiland because I didn't know him.   His death, while tragic, doesn't touch my life in any way.   Ask the people who did know and love him that question.   

My previous post obviously offended you and it wasn't my intention to offend you or anyone else.  My first instinct was to apologize to you but, then I remembered that some posters here have posted comments that offended me.  Damn few posters have ever apologized to me.  I don't have anything against you but I'm not in a conciliatory mood tonight.   You're going to have to suck it up and deal with your ruffled feathers without an apology from me; the same way I do.

Cosmo Jones who is known for us as a member of the band Miss Galaxie/Big Blue Missile posted the following message on his Facebook:

David Bowie and Scott Weiland. The sky is bereft of some bright stars. Not to forget Lemmy, but this story is not about him. This story is simply a coincidence I am compelled to share. Draw from it what you will. I already mentioned when Scott passed how much we all were influenced by Bowie. Especially Scott and James. That's why BBM did the Ashes to Ashes cover and I would guess Scott would credit Bowie with a huge percentage of his music education, both in performance and writing. Yet as people they were probably polar opposites (I wish I could say I knew the thin white duke, but only what I read), thus the story of these images is something I find very personal as well as oddly coincidental. When we were playing with Scott, he was still working with Stone Temple Pilots. He knew I was also a designer and asked for help with an album cover. This was their 4th studio album, and Scott wanted a cover that was a nod to Led Zep's Zoso or AC/DC Back in Black. He wanted to title it "Black Album, White Star" so I did a first draft mock-up. Then everything went pear shaped with Scott again and we didn't get to the next round. The record ended up being called "No. 4", and they used the design and just changed the title. Fast forward to today and I am gutted to hear about the passing of Bowie, and then I see the cover for Blackstar and think wow, that is some serious yin and yang action hitting me like a ton of bricks. I can think of very very few artists who had as much influence as David Bowie, on not just music, but style and class. I loved the way he could reinvent himself, I loved his side project Tin Machine, and the vast magnitude of art he created over so many genres makes for a true legend. I'm glad I got the opportunity to play on such a cool Bowie cover with Scott and I wish they were both still here. I'm vigorously extending both middle fingers to cancer and drug addiction. I hope someone smarter than I am figures out a cure for both. And also a cure for tinnitus because I am going to blast Bowie's Earthling in my car today and save Blackstar for just a bit longer.

12402201_10153990276103900_3846840597892

7 hours ago, Walter said:

Here is a great, insightful article about Scott and his musical journey through high school, the LA music scene, and beyond as told by his good friend Corey Hickok.  This was posted at Alternative Nation.net:

http://www.alternativenation.net/scott-weiland-high-school-to-core-retrospective/

Very interesting read, Walter, thanks for posting. It's a funny thing that when one goes about the daily business of life, events seem random and outcomes uncertain. But then looking back, one can see how pivotal some small events and their connections were: the early drug use, the faithful friendship, the costly realized dream (that whole 'be careful what you wish for lest it come true...). It's hard not to ask 'if only...' by surviving loved ones. Scott seemed like he could soar but needed a solid foundation from which to do that and on which to land. He always had the former in his friend, but the latter grew weaker as he spiraled into deeper drug use. It helped to flesh Scott out more, and people can see him not just as an OD statistic but as a complex human being. It's too bad he couldn't find his way to solid sober ground; he had such a shining gift.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/magazine-feature/6859089/scott-weiland-final-months-friends-family-talk-mental-illness-family-struggles

Article with more insight into the recent past.  No idea Scott had Hep-C, but not much of a surprise given his I-V drug use.  Still incredibly sad, seems almost like he wanted to accelerate the inevitable.

Edited by Walter

• 3 years later...