Scott Weiland

Bong-Man

http://www.freep.com/article/20090122/ENT0...dom+in+solitude

Scott Weiland finds freedom in solitude

Band veteran calls solo project 'my saving grace'

BY EDNA GUNDERSEN • USA TODAY • January 22, 2009

BURBANK, Calif. -- Scott Weiland, famed front man for two rock supergroups, has discovered solo work's prize and penalty: liberation and loneliness.

"I've been recording in between periods of romantic torture, which is the concept of this album," says the singer, whose divorce from his second wife, Mary Forsberg, informs several anguished lyrics on "Happy in Galoshes," his second solo album, which hit stores in late November. "Writing these songs has been my saving grace. I have felt in the past like a marionette. This album is my freedom."

Weiland, 41, is smoking and impeccably attired as usual when he takes a seat in the control booth of his Lavish Studios, a former machine shop transformed into a dim sanctuary with candles, recording gear and red lanterns hanging from a velvet-draped ceiling.

He sounds by turns defiant and wounded as he recounts the events leading to this pivotal juncture. His career is rebooting, but his personal life, littered with arrests, substance abuse and rehabs, has sapped him. In 2007, his mother was diagnosed with cancer, and his brother suffered a fatal drug overdose. He's especially distraught over his split from Forsberg.

"When you're in love, you've found your soul mate. You think life is going one way, and suddenly it's completely apparent it's not. You have to rethink your whole purpose."

He sits a little straighter and says: "This record has helped a lot. I was focused. I'm doing what I want to do creatively, and that's kept me going."

Weiland coproduced the new 13-track "Happy" for his Softdrive label with songwriting partner Doug Grean. Paul Oakenfold and members of No Doubt crop up, and Weiland covers the Smiths' "Reel Around the Fountain" (on the two-CD deluxe edition) and David Bowie's "Fame."

"Happy" took shape during a tumultuous decade after the release of solo debut "12 Bar Blues" in 1998. In 2003, Weiland left Stone Temple Pilots, the grunge-era giant that sold 35 million albums globally and spawned six No. 1 singles, including Grammy-winning "Plush." In 2004, former Guns N' Roses players enlisted Weiland to sing in Velvet Revolver, another hard-rock juggernaut. He was fired from the band last spring after acrimonious exchanges.

"There were too many egos, and I'm not leaving myself out of the mix," Weiland says. "It was a recipe for incredible success and disaster."

The highly touted STP reunion tour followed, leaving fans clamoring for a new album. Weiland is on the fence.

"When you commit to a band that big that sold so many records and touched that many people, you can't easily get out of it," he says. "I'm finally on my own, at a place I've wanted to be for so long."

Not surprisingly, "Happy" is as motley and unconventional as his lifestyle.

"It's definitely eclectic," Grean says. "He's really breaking the mold people put him in as this heavy rock-grunge superstar. There's country and jazzy and bossa nova stuff that redefines him. It was a fun, challenging, unpredictable experiment. The hardest part was carving out time. He kept doing things like getting into a superband."

They formed a "trauma bond" 14 years ago when Grean's brother, who is in rehab, "got a crazy new roommate in the middle of the night," Grean says. "He had a mountain of baggage, I mean actual luggage. I wasn't a huge STP fan, but we became friends."

Weiland's figurative baggage is substantial, too. He served a day in jail May 12 for a DUI arrest a year ago. He still drinks but points out he kicked heroin six years ago. In March, he completed a stint in rehab.

"When my wife was divorcing me, I relapsed on cocaine for three months, and I put myself in rehab without telling the band because I knew there would be manipulation for me to complete the tour," he says.

It's not the only reason he's gun-shy about band duty.

"There's a beauty in being part of a band, when there's equality and trust," he says. "But at this phase of my life, I want to write and not have to think about whether a song is going to be a hit. I want to explore the music that inspires me, and I don't want to ape myself.

"I've been saying for a long time that I couldn't see myself shaking my (butt) in leather pants when I'm 40. My goal in STP was to leave an imprint. That was done. I want to move forward and be in control of what I do musically. I have kids, and I don't want to spend my life on the road."

Noah, 8, and Lucy, 6, have altered Weiland's priorities and calmed a chaotic lifestyle. He's considering a move from Los Angeles.

"On the veneer, it's a lovely place, but the underbelly is dark and insidious. Everyone wants what everyone else has."

Having experienced its dark side, Weiland no longer craves the veneer of rock stardom.

"I'm a disciple of David Bowie, and I see myself at that crossroad of 'Young Americans' and the Berlin records," Weiland says, citing the Brit icon's transition from 1975's rock-soul hit to his late-'70s experimental trilogy.

"I want to surround myself with people who understand the music that inspires me. I don't want to get battered from throwing myself around onstage. I want a performance style that's more cerebral and emotional than physical. I want to be a creative artist, not a whirling dervish."

http://www.freep.com/article/20090122/ENT0...dom+in+solitude

Scott Weiland finds freedom in solitude

Band veteran calls solo project 'my saving grace'

BY EDNA GUNDERSEN • USA TODAY • January 22, 2009

BURBANK, Calif. -- Scott Weiland, famed front man for two rock supergroups, has discovered solo work's prize and penalty: liberation and loneliness.

"I've been recording in between periods of romantic torture, which is the concept of this album," says the singer, whose divorce from his second wife, Mary Forsberg, informs several anguished lyrics on "Happy in Galoshes," his second solo album, which hit stores in late November. "Writing these songs has been my saving grace. I have felt in the past like a marionette. This album is my freedom."

Weiland, 41, is smoking and impeccably attired as usual when he takes a seat in the control booth of his Lavish Studios, a former machine shop transformed into a dim sanctuary with candles, recording gear and red lanterns hanging from a velvet-draped ceiling.

He sounds by turns defiant and wounded as he recounts the events leading to this pivotal juncture. His career is rebooting, but his personal life, littered with arrests, substance abuse and rehabs, has sapped him. In 2007, his mother was diagnosed with cancer, and his brother suffered a fatal drug overdose. He's especially distraught over his split from Forsberg.

"When you're in love, you've found your soul mate. You think life is going one way, and suddenly it's completely apparent it's not. You have to rethink your whole purpose."

He sits a little straighter and says: "This record has helped a lot. I was focused. I'm doing what I want to do creatively, and that's kept me going."

Weiland coproduced the new 13-track "Happy" for his Softdrive label with songwriting partner Doug Grean. Paul Oakenfold and members of No Doubt crop up, and Weiland covers the Smiths' "Reel Around the Fountain" (on the two-CD deluxe edition) and David Bowie's "Fame."

"Happy" took shape during a tumultuous decade after the release of solo debut "12 Bar Blues" in 1998. In 2003, Weiland left Stone Temple Pilots, the grunge-era giant that sold 35 million albums globally and spawned six No. 1 singles, including Grammy-winning "Plush." In 2004, former Guns N' Roses players enlisted Weiland to sing in Velvet Revolver, another hard-rock juggernaut. He was fired from the band last spring after acrimonious exchanges.

"There were too many egos, and I'm not leaving myself out of the mix," Weiland says. "It was a recipe for incredible success and disaster."

The highly touted STP reunion tour followed, leaving fans clamoring for a new album. Weiland is on the fence.

"When you commit to a band that big that sold so many records and touched that many people, you can't easily get out of it," he says. "I'm finally on my own, at a place I've wanted to be for so long."

Not surprisingly, "Happy" is as motley and unconventional as his lifestyle.

"It's definitely eclectic," Grean says. "He's really breaking the mold people put him in as this heavy rock-grunge superstar. There's country and jazzy and bossa nova stuff that redefines him. It was a fun, challenging, unpredictable experiment. The hardest part was carving out time. He kept doing things like getting into a superband."

They formed a "trauma bond" 14 years ago when Grean's brother, who is in rehab, "got a crazy new roommate in the middle of the night," Grean says. "He had a mountain of baggage, I mean actual luggage. I wasn't a huge STP fan, but we became friends."

Weiland's figurative baggage is substantial, too. He served a day in jail May 12 for a DUI arrest a year ago. He still drinks but points out he kicked heroin six years ago. In March, he completed a stint in rehab.

"When my wife was divorcing me, I relapsed on cocaine for three months, and I put myself in rehab without telling the band because I knew there would be manipulation for me to complete the tour," he says.

It's not the only reason he's gun-shy about band duty.

"There's a beauty in being part of a band, when there's equality and trust," he says. "But at this phase of my life, I want to write and not have to think about whether a song is going to be a hit. I want to explore the music that inspires me, and I don't want to ape myself.

"I've been saying for a long time that I couldn't see myself shaking my (butt) in leather pants when I'm 40. My goal in STP was to leave an imprint. That was done. I want to move forward and be in control of what I do musically. I have kids, and I don't want to spend my life on the road."

Noah, 8, and Lucy, 6, have altered Weiland's priorities and calmed a chaotic lifestyle. He's considering a move from Los Angeles.

"On the veneer, it's a lovely place, but the underbelly is dark and insidious. Everyone wants what everyone else has."

Having experienced its dark side, Weiland no longer craves the veneer of rock stardom.

"I'm a disciple of David Bowie, and I see myself at that crossroad of 'Young Americans' and the Berlin records," Weiland says, citing the Brit icon's transition from 1975's rock-soul hit to his late-'70s experimental trilogy.

"I want to surround myself with people who understand the music that inspires me. I don't want to get battered from throwing myself around onstage. I want a performance style that's more cerebral and emotional than physical. I want to be a creative artist, not a whirling dervish."

Has anyone else heard the phrase,"......you just can't help some people"?Is this guy one of those people?

I really wanted to see him Sat. night at the Starland Ballroom (in NJ). Couldn't find anyone who wanted to go so I missed SW this time around (but I did see him upclose for the STP show last year). His new album is pretty good. Here's a setlist from the tour:

Reel Around the Fountain

Killing me Sweetly

Paralysis

Mockingbird Girl

Big Black Monster

Waiting for Superman

Blind Confusion

Blister On My Soul

Interstate Love Song

Beautiful Day

Barbarella

Missing Cleveland

• 6 years later...

Saw Scott Weiland this past Friday night in a small club in downtown Orlando. We have seen him so many times with STP and VR, but never solo. After reading some bad reviews we were skeptical about going. Went to a couple of our usual haunts for some refreshments before going to The Social. Hadn't heard of either of the opening bands, but enjoyed them both. When Scott came on he opened with Crackerman and it sounded good. He was wearing a long sleeved sweatshirt and sunglasses, which is pretty low key for him. His voice sounded great, the band sounded good, and they didn't rely on STP or VR music to get through the night. Most of his solo songs were from his upcoming disc out later this month and they sounded like classic Scott. No VR songs were played, from STP he played Crackerman, Meat Plow (one of my all-time favs), Vasoline, Big Bang Baby, Unglued, and Dead and Bloated. He also played Bowie's Jean Jeanie. Show started around 8:45 and Scott finished at about 12:30, none of the bands were off more than 20 min in between. A good $30 spent, IMO. If you get a chance, you should check him out! Paul, I saw he is playing Jacksonville towards the end of the month, I believe.

:peace:

• 1 month later...

Man, that's sad. I seriously thought when you posted the link, it would be for his death announcement. We've thought that for almost 20 years. I guess we caught him on a good night last month at The Social. The fact he played The Social tells you about the state of where he is musically. Thanks for the post 2bit. Are you getting ready for The Stones at the Citrus Bowl in June?

• 7 months later...

We've been pretty torn up since hearing the news about his passing yesterday morning.  We've seen Scott perform more than any other artist, over 15, starting with STP's first tour in a small club.  One night, on their Tiny Music...tour, after Scott's first incarceration, we were in the 4th row center and it seemed like he sang to the two of us all night long - lots of eye contact.  We spent a glorious New Years Eve with him witnessing an almost 3 hour STP set back in 2000.  Caught Velvet Revolver 4 different times, the second at a very small venue for a charity benefit.  Tried to see him on the STP reunion tour in 2008, but they cancelled after the two opening bands played saying Scott couldn't get out of Miami "due to the weather".  Every time we saw him from the Tiny Music show onward we would always say, "at least we got to see him one more time before the inevitable happens".  So that brings us to this past March.  We took a chance to see him and his solo band at an extremely small club in downtown.  It was a pleasant surprise.  Loved his new material and he looked and sounded better than we thought he would.  Sadly it was that final time that we knew would ever see him live.  So sad for his kids, his parents,  his former bandmates who did love him but just couldn't work with him any longer, his fans and most of all for Scott himself.  Here are some pictures from this past March.  RIP Scott Weiland.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

While I am largely unfamiliar with his body of work, he gets very high marks from me for the innumerable times he went to rehab, acknowledging his problems and attempting to fix them.  As we are seeing a lot of lately, often times the problems come up the winner.

RIP Mr. Weiland.

A very powerful letter from his ex wife and kids....very powerful:

Scott Weiland's Family: 'Don't Glorify This Tragedy'

A letter from late singer’s ex-wife, Mary Weiland, on behalf of his two children

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-s-family-dont-glorify-this-tragedy-20151207#ixzz3thZUOsJq 
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Wow that was so raw and honest. It's never easy losing a parent, let alone one who is largely absent and erratic, addicted and adored. But to lose one in formative teen years, well, it just magnifies the inner earthquakes they must be enduring. To think this was written with them... harrowing. I couldn't read that without tearing up; I can't imagine what it was like to pen it. I hope this helps them find their way...

I thought that essay was powerful and should be read by all people who continue using drugs as well as their spouses who keep hoping "one day" there will be a change. I know Weiland had traumas but many people with trauma histories stop doing drugs, and often their children are part of the motivation for sobriety...to be honest I always hated his music too.

A very powerful letter from his ex wife and kids....very powerful:

Scott Weiland's Family: 'Don't Glorify This Tragedy'

A letter from late singer’s ex-wife, Mary Weiland, on behalf of his two children

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-s-family-dont-glorify-this-tragedy-20151207#ixzz3thZUOsJq 
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

It was an excellent read, very sad, and emotional to read, drug users who have young children are not cool, just selfish 

It is a tragedy, plain & simple. I did get to see him perform with Velvet Revolver on their first tour & the band was really powerful, kick ass hard rock performance. Never saw him with STP, but many great songs came from that group. It is telling when your own band (STP) can make much more money with you, throws you out of the band, in favor of another singer. I am saddened, but not surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

In all fairness, look at the conditions he and the band are playing in.  Point taken though. He was much more energetic when we saw him 2 months prior to that gig.  Not like STP/VR Scott, but still better than that.  Amazon is out of stock of most discs Scott was on.

It makes you wonder...guy seemed like he had everything.  Nice wife, two beautiful kiddos, lots of money, fame.  And yet can't stay clean, and again, the stupid drugs win another round.  This should be a wakeup call to lots of people..if you are hooked, get some help.  Those poor kids with no dad the rest of their lives....

It makes you wonder...guy seemed like he had everything.  Nice wife, two beautiful kiddos, lots of money, fame.  And yet can't stay clean, and again, the stupid drugs win another round.  This should be a wakeup call to lots of people..if you are hooked, get some help.  Those poor kids with no dad the rest of their lives....

From what I've read, Weiland did seek help for his addictions...numerous times.  It just didn't seem to stick.  I don't know much about addiction but I remember an internet discussion I read a few years ago about the rock music world, drugs and alcohol.  One of the posters claimed to be a counselor who worked with musicians, roadies, and others in the industry.  He commented that some of his clients wound up having to chose between their music industry careers and sobriety.  In these cases, alcohol or drug abuse had become so intertwined with their professional lives the client couldn't maintain his/her sobriety without changing careers.  

Archived