Who's the smartest?

~ZeppelinXGirl~

Is there any standard for "smart"? Hardly.

IMO all the four band members are first class musicians with their unique understanding of music and art.

Robert could be more into literature, Jimmy into painting art while JPJ has more classically trained musician knowledge and Bonzo surely knew something more about agriculture, that's all about personal taste and life.

I dont know if this is already a thread, but who do you think is the smartest in the band? I'm guessing it's either Pagey or JPJ....what do you think? :D

...smartness exists in every field...

...but for some reason "smart" is most associated with "technical/logical" ability...in this case, I would say Jimmy Page...going by his handwriting analysis, and "incomparable "skill" in mastery of guitar...but of course, he is an artist of profound depth before all of this....

(they all are very smart musicians, proven in legacy of Led Zeppelin, if it wasn't their "smartness", who would be here?)

:D :D

Thanks!!! Which one is the smartest, knowledge-wise. Who did the best in school?

Smart entails many facets - it's not just about being good at school. Without having had any conversation with any of them, it's pretty hard to speculate.

Maybe JPJ was the most thoughtful one, and Bonzo the must impulsive, but none of them were stupid. I think, JPJ had potential to be the most "dangerous" member of Led Zep, but he simply wasn't becasue he was that thoughtful.

Why would you think JPJ had potential to be the most dangerous?

• 5 years later...

Smart entails many facets - it's not just about being good at school. Without having had any conversation with any of them, it's pretty hard to speculate.

I.Q. tests are pretty meaningless in the overall scheme of things -- they certainly don't measure artistic genius --but I would guess each band member had an I.Q. of at least 130, which is high. I would suspect that at least 1 or 2 of the band members had I.Q.'s in the 140-160 range, which is very high. (160 is genius level)

I.Q. tests are pretty meaningless in the overall scheme of things -- they certainly don't measure artistic genius --but I would guess each band member had an I.Q. of at least 130, which is high. I would suspect that at least 1 or 2 of the band members had I.Q.'s in the 140-160 range, which is very high. (160 is genius level)

The current view of psychologists and other scholars of genius is that a minimum level of IQ of approximately 125.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius#IQ_and_genius

160 is the highest possible IQ!

The highest reported standard score for most IQ tests is IQ 160, approximately the 99.997th percentile (leaving aside the issue of the considerable error in measurement at that level of IQ on any IQ test).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_classification#IQ_classification_and_giftedness

Thanks!!! Which one is the smartest, knowledge-wise. Who did the best in school?

Bonham attended Lodge Farm Secondary Modern School, where his headmaster once wrote in his school report card that "He will either end up a dustman or a millionaire".[9][10] :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_bonham#Early_years

Sathington, you're probably right about I.Q. I'm no expert on the subject, and neither am I up to date on current research. I'm also aware that there have been many different I.Q. indexes used in the past. (Cattel, Terman, etc, etc.) Also, I generally place very little credence in I.Q. scores -- I don't think they matter much.

With that said, my understanding of I.Q. is/was as follows: An I.Q. score below 75 signifies mental retardation. The average white American's I.Q. is about 100. An I.Q. in the 140-160 range is superior/gifted. A genius level I. Q. Is above 160. And numerous geniuses in the past (Goethe, Kant, Newton, etc) have had I.Q.'s measuring up around 200. Again, I don't think any of this even matters -- the whole subject is stupid. Lol.

Sathington, you're probably right about I.Q. I'm no expert on the subject, and neither am I up to date on current research. I'm also aware that there have been many different I.Q. indexes used in the past. (Cattel, Terman, etc, etc.) Also, I generally place very little credence in I.Q. scores -- I don't think they matter much.

With that said, my understanding of I.Q. is/was as follows: An I.Q. score below 75 signifies mental retardation. The average white American's I.Q. is about 100. An I.Q. in the 140-160 range is superior/gifted. A genius level I. Q. Is above 160. And numerous geniuses in the past (Goethe, Kant, Newton, etc) have had I.Q.'s measuring up around 200. Again, I don't think any of this even matters -- the whole subject is stupid. Lol.

Yea, let's just all agree they are brilliant musicians!

Below 70 is considered mentally retarded in the US. 70-80 is considered "borderline deficient." 80-120 is considered normal, so you can see there is a wide variety of people who have "normal" IQs. Above 120 is considered superior and above 130 is considered "very superior" according to my psychiatry textbook. It doesn't mention "genius" which might be slang. The WAIS is the test most often used (Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale) but I have seen the Stanford-Binet used from time to time. There's a modified test for children. The WAIS "is composed of six verbal subtests and five performance subtests, which yield a verbal IQ, a performance IQ and a combined or full-scale IQ." Source: Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry.

IQ scores have to be evaluated by a psychologist. Depression and other factors can suppress IQ.

I have found in my work that IQ tests are extremely accurate for assessing intellectual ability, when there is no major psychiatric disorder. They do not assess artistic ability which is subjective anyway. They certainly don't test whether someone has an ear for music or whether they can play a musical instrument. I don't see how, by listening to Led Zeppelin or even through news interviews, we could assess the IQ of any member. I think we can safely assume, based on Jimmy Page's ability to not only play the guitar and write songs but also to produce the records, that his IQ would have to be higher than 100 and most likely higher than 120. Robert Plant's lyrics indicate he has an IQ over 100 and most likely over 115. I couldn't even guess for the other two. Case closed!

Archived