July 23rd 1979

joeboy

Have these 2 shows in 79 ever been upgraded? I remember having the three LP "Zoso" set from the 1980's the one with the titles on it like White Cat - I'd like to give these gigs another chance. Not really a fan of the 77 or 80 gigs. I dig 69 - 73 the most. But would give 79 another chance & am hoping for an upgraded source. Thanks

Have these 2 shows in 79 ever been upgraded? I remember having the three LP "Zoso" set from the 1980's the one with the titles on it like White Cat - I'd like to give these gigs another chance. Not really a fan of the 77 or 80 gigs. I dig 69 - 73 the most. But would give 79 another chance & am hoping for an upgraded source. Thanks

The raw tapes are out there. Check your PM. ;)

Thx! Ya see for me Jb died in 1980 - I was in 8th grade & didn't know about Zeppelin or anything really other than The Eagles Greatest Hits b/c I liked the album cover. But when JB died there was a huge amount of music & info presented on classic rock stations in Chicago.

My uncle gave me the Blueberry Hill gig around 1983. So that was my first boot, and gauge for all boots to come. I got the Copenhagen gig probably around 1984 or 1985, & just never though the sound quality was equal to the Sept 4 19070 audience show. Thanks for the PM!

Can't wait to hear this with new ears again! Thanks!

Thx! Ya see for me Jb died in 1980 - I was in 8th grade & didn't know about Zeppelin or anything really other than The Eagles Greatest Hits b/c I liked the album cover. But when JB died there was a huge amount of music & info presented on classic rock stations in Chicago.

My uncle gave me the Blueberry Hill gig around 1983. So that was my first boot, and gauge for all boots to come. I got the Copenhagen gig probably around 1984 or 1985, & just never though the sound quality was equal to the Sept 4 19070 audience show. Thanks for the PM!

Can't wait to hear this with new ears again! Thanks!

Cool! I actually just listened to these shows for the first time a couple months ago. 7/24 is now one of my favs in terms of performance and sound. Enjoy!

I have said it before and I believe it to my marrow: July 24, 1979 is not only superior to July 23, 1979, but it is the best and most overall consistent concert Led Zeppelin played post-'77.

While 1980 had some great moments in spots...primarily on "Trampled Underfoot" and "Achilles Last Stand" and the Berlin "Whole Lotta Love"...there were many head-scratching moments as well. I get that they wanted to streamline the show and jettison the long drum and guitar solos. But they sure went about it in a clumsy fashion. Why cut off the musical intros to "No Quarter" and "Nobody's Fault but Mine" but then mangle "White Summer" for 10-plus minutes?

I have said it before and I believe it to my marrow: July 24, 1979 is not only superior to July 23, 1979, but it is the best and most overall consistent concert Led Zeppelin played post-'77.

While 1980 had some great moments in spots...primarily on "Trampled Underfoot" and "Achilles Last Stand" and the Berlin "Whole Lotta Love"...there were many head-scratching moments as well. I get that they wanted to streamline the show and jettison the long drum and guitar solos. But they sure went about it in a clumsy fashion. Why cut off the musical intros to "No Quarter" and "Nobody's Fault but Mine" but then mangle "White Summer" for 10-plus minutes?

I'd go one step further ad say that July 24, 1979 is better than most of 77 too, definitely top 10 shows between 1977-1980

I'd go one step further ad say that July 24, 1979 is better than most of 77 too, definitely top 10 shows between 1977-1980

:goodpost: Needless to say, if you haven't heard this show yet, get out of here and go listen to it! :run:

Why cut off the musical intros to "No Quarter" and "Nobody's Fault but Mine" but then mangle "White Summer" for 10-plus minutes?

:hysterical: I dont know why but that made me laugh! I hate to say it but you are right mangle is the perfect word.

• 11 months later...

Who books a concert hall and forgets to measure the dimensions of the lighting equipment? Two hours late starting the show? I'm surprised the fans didn't walk out.

Lots of shows started hours late in the 1970s. There wasn't the worry about curfews that there is today.

Archived