July 23rd 1979

joeboy

Amazing that they mostly kicked ass in front of 1000 people at them Copenhagen gigs, then basically blew it in front of 100000 people at Knebworth (IMO).

I'll give the edge (slightly) to the 24 July Copenhagen show because they saw fit to add "Eleven Years Gone" to the set :lol:

As a HUGE fan of Misty Mountain Hop, Jimmy butchers this live version on 7/23. In fact, that solo is so dreadful, it makes his solo on Ten Years Gone exactly two years earlier to the day from Oakland sound brilliant.

7/24 has a much better version of MMH.

MMH aside, I like 7/24 better: overall playing to my ears seems better, plus the bonus of getting Ten Years Gone and Sick Again, which wasn't played 7/23.

• 2 weeks later...

I only got a copy of this show a couple years ago, along with Southampton. Probably listened to these shows every weekend for a good year. Copenhagen has a sober emotion to it, gives the show a more serious vibe. The set list...they were steering the ship in the right direction. I guess it's in the top five shows I've ever listened to.

IMO Zeppelin should have done more of these smaller club gigs (akin to how the Stones always do a 'warmup' club gig or two before a big tour)...it seems to me that Zeppelin would sometimes get lost in the scope of the 'event' of those big stadium gigs, losing something in translation. All ya gotta do is compare the Copenhagen performances -live rehearsals or not- to the Knebworth shows; IMO there's no question they were better in Copenhagen and simply couldn't live up to the hype (or expectations) at Knebworth.

I think just on the basis of the sheer dynamics of their music they'd be best appreciated in smaller venues.

Later on today I think I'll bust out the first Knebworth gig for the anniversary. I just listened to 24 July Copenhagen a couple weeks ago, so it's still relatively fresh in my mind. I only have the video for 11 August Knebworth (around here somewhere :lol: ) so I'll listen to the audience tape today. Haven't listened to Knebworth in a while and it'll be interesting to actually compare the two gigs...

I hear the difference between Copenhagen and knebworth in 79 and it makes sense, between a festival and a small gig, pressure vs very little pressure. They were running on all cylinders at Copenhagen. With the 80 tour, there is even another different energy about it, with the highs and lows...that's what's interesting too about that time. I'm not referring to page messing up on white summer or a particular show, but the energy levels, they varied a lot. As folks have pointed out before, one song could be great and the next song they are going through the motions, or bombing. Yet with some songs from 80, they seem better...more intense than Copenhagen. But the Copenhagen show is steady....very very good show.

That's exactly what I noticed listening to 4 August Knebworth yesterday...it almost seems ridiculous, the idea of the pressure getting to a band with the stature of Zeppelin, but that appears to have been the case at Knebworth. And in retrospect it probably was a bit unrealistic trying to live up to the hype surrounding a show of that magnitude. I'll concede that the first Knebworth gig was better than I remembered it being, but I'll still have to give the edge to the Copenhagen shows as the superior performances.

I hear the difference between Copenhagen and knebworth in 79 and it makes sense, between a festival and a small gig, pressure vs very little pressure. They were running on all cylinders at Copenhagen.

To be honest, I really like 1979/08/04, pressure and all. Jimmy's fingers are a bit sticky up through Black Dog, but from NFBM on, his playing is excellent. Everybody else is doing fantastic as well. Copenhagen sounds very laid back, whereas Knebworth seems to have been played with a sense of urgency. Either way, they're all good concerts to me.

To be honest, I really like 1979/08/04, pressure and all. Jimmy's fingers are a bit sticky up through Black Dog, but from NFBM on, his playing is excellent. Everybody else is doing fantastic as well. Copenhagen sounds very laid back, whereas Knebworth seems to have been played with a sense of urgency. Either way, they're all good concerts to me.

I agree about, the sense of urgency vibe. Someone mentioned the version of communication breakdown from knebworth a couple weeks ago, I had forgot about that. Even though their on the verge of falling apart there, the energy and urgency is what makes it a great moment and the knebworth shows had that. Had that show on VHS tape actually, it wasn't enjoyable seeing jimmy struggle at times, but still watched,listened to show a good amount. I'm not remembering knebworth dates.

The material on official DVD, shows what a success knebworth was.

Copenhagen is laid back, but zeppelin with a somber tone or whatever it was, page being in good form, make it a unique show.What's interesting is how good it sounds, with being laid back with restrain, almost like o2 show in that way.

I love the setlists for the 79 shows. I know some people enjoy the 20 minute "Over The Top" and guitar solo's or 30 minute Dazed but personally it just stalls the momentum of the show. The flow of the 4 1979 shows is much better IMHO. Anyone know why Ten Years Gone wasn't played on 7/23 or 8/11?

Anyone know why Ten Years Gone wasn't played on 7/23 or 8/11?

I believe there were technical issues with JPJ's tripleneck guitar on those nights.

Although given Page's shoddy playing at the 11 August show, it's probably a good thing they skipped "Ten Years Gone", Jimmy likely would have made a hash of the solos etc...

hey guys, quick question. since most will have different preferences, which versions of these two shows are the best sound-wise? and which one of these two shows do you prefer regarding sound quality?

I ask because IMO these two are a solid tie when it comes to performance, averaging the ups and downs of each one + energy, 23rd=24th performance wise from opening note to last.

nutshell, which releases or versions have the best sound, and which show sounds better?

I do these things and ask these things to mold Zeppelin fans into diehards. Which is a win-win for us. Supply vs. demand etc. Have had much success in recent years due to great sounding EVSD releases.

one more thing: am I the only one who find these two shows more comparable to the better '77 shows than the two Knebworth gigs? I feel that "Zeppelins 1979" started in August. (which I do also have love for) ???

Maybe it is because I find the Kneb shows too similar to '80. I'm a weirdo though... I speak based on how I feel only.

To me, '79 Zep is entirely unique unto itself. Too different from '77 (i.e. no 20-30 minute solos, no acoustic set, different guitar tone, more vocal harmonics, less stylised stage appearance, more songs requiring keyboards, a more "crowd-pleaser" type of setlist, etc.), yet different than '80 because they took the "toned down" approach five steps further, shorter sets, scaled down light show, overall darker look, even more keyboards, no press, etc.)

maybe someone could relate to my opinion that the '77 band/sound/energy is more similar to the warm-ups, and Knebworth is more like a good '80 gig?

edit: '79 is way better IMO and way different

'77 they still have that indescribable cosmic energy. I must feel this way because they (to me) seem dated at the Knebworth shows. Dinosaurs. 8/4 kicks ass any way you look at it though!

i give up. Never been good getting deep thoughts across to others.

• 11 months later...

Archived