Uber & Self Driving Vehicles

Charles J. White

One of my co-workers, a complete wack job, drives for Uber. I don't feel comfortable being a passenger is his car, or any vehicle he drives - even at work. I know he drives after double shifts here, or after drinking heavily. Evidently, a driver can get summoned for duty at any time, regardless of what they are up to. It doesn't seem like they have any screening process, either.

One of my co-workers, a complete wack job, drives for Uber. I don't feel comfortable being a passenger is his car, or any vehicle he drives - even at work. I know he drives after double shifts here, or after drinking heavily. Evidently, a driver can get summoned for duty at any time, regardless of what they are up to. It doesn't seem like they have any screening process, either.

I like the idea of Uber especially in the city center for short rides when it is more convenient than taking your own car to lunch and losing your parking space. I also like that you can sort of look up the prospective driver's "rating" prior to getting in the car like 'yelp', which is something you can't do with a taxi or bus driver.

I work with a few guy who moonlight driving for Uber a few days per week and they make some nice extra income. Since unlike a full time taxi job they can sort of make themselves available for just the 'cream at the top' types of fares is also appealing--- usually long trips to the airport from point further away.

What would scare the hell of me being a driver for Uber would be the personal liability. I carry a one million dollar umbrella policy for my cars and home and even I worry that I'm under insured. I couldn't imagine driving people for hire and risking loosing everything I own in a civil suit for a few extra bucks per week.

Most insurance companies will not insure a car for taxi service on a personal auto policy and a policy insuring taxi service is several times higher in premium than a personal auto policy and for good reason. Insuring self-driving cars will also be interesting.

^ So Uber drivers own the car, and it's up them how well it's serviced, and how much insurance they carry?

From what I've read Uber insurance kicks in when app is running and auto owner's when app is not running. Sounds like a lawyers tapping fingers on briefcases to me.

From what I've read Uber insurance kicks in when app is running and auto owner's when app is not running. Sounds like a lawyers tapping fingers on briefcases to me.

Exactly! The only way around the liability would be to create a LLC before becoming a Uber driver.

Every state has different insurance laws, but I would wager a lot of uber drivers either lie/ or fax a dec page to uber and uber just ignores the fact they basically have no coverage on their personal auto policy for driver for hire. I used to write commercial insurance and most of those premiums cost more than the honda Monty comes to pick you up in.

Just today local BBC news reported that Uber are to commence operation over in Liverpool, that will mean the possibility of already established taxi firms going out of buisiness.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious why anyone in their right mind would want a self driving car?  The human brain is the post powerful computing device in the world.  Would a "self driving" car identify that goofball driving in front of you with stupid bumper stickers with goofball sayings tipping you off to the utter lack of intelligence and thus a real and present danger to you BEFORE it happens?  I don't think so.

Would a self driving car react to this kind of moron and the simpleton driving it?

4564d1240393561-20s-idiotic.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived