Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mook

Live at Carnegie Hall, October 17th 1969

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Given the amount of attention this gig is getting on another thread, I thought it deserved one of its own, seemingly one of their great early gigs but so little evidence of it exists. Is this picture from this actual show, was anyone on the forum at the gig & does anyone have anything else to contribute?

Related image
Edited by Mook

On Moby Dick at the Carnegie Hall gig:- "When it came to his full-scale workout, Bonham made good on his promise to be in top form. He summoned a demonic drum solo and flew around the kit with a speed and brute strength that was astounding. I saw Bonham play many more solos over the years but never with quite the same sustained attack."

Chris Welch.

You're right. This gig does deserve its own thread. Given its prestige its an anomaly with such little evidence. The only documents from this gig are two photos ( the one above being one) and I believe I've seen a poster. I'll look for the other photo and post it here when I find it.

There simply HAS to be something more somewhere...a fan's account, photos, and hopefully a recording of some type. Or at least Eddie Kramer's denial that it wasn't recorded.

Is the Chris Welch interview available in print form anywhere? Does he have audio notes from the interview?

10 minutes ago, bcarter690 said:

You're right. This gig does deserve its own thread. Given its prestige its an anomaly with such little evidence. The only documents from this gig are two photos ( the one above being one) and I believe I've seen a poster. I'll look for the other photo and post it here when I find it.

There simply HAS to be something more somewhere...a fan's account, photos, and hopefully a recording of some type. Or at least Eddie Kramer's denial that it wasn't recorded.

Is the Chris Welch interview available in print form anywhere? Does he have audio notes from the interview?

Some fan comments, reviews, ads, ticket, programme etc on the Timeline:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/october-17-1969

I should have more press if you'd like me to dig them up too.

Just now, sam_webmaster said:

Some fan comments, reviews, ads, ticket, programme etc on the Timeline:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/october-17-1969

I should have more press if you'd like me to dig them up too.

Thanks Sam.

Yes,we certainly would love to read more press about this gig!

4 hours ago, bcarter690 said:

I read Chris Welch's account in Keith Shadwick's book 1968-80  The Story Of A Band And Their Music

Holy Shit!!! Is that Jimmy actually reaching out to the audience? I just never imagined he did stuff like that. I guess in those days it was possible because the distance between him and audience was not tremendous.

5 hours ago, Tremelo said:

Holy Shit!!! Is that Jimmy actually reaching out to the audience? I just never imagined he did stuff like that. I guess in those days it was possible because the distance between him and audience was not tremendous.

That is a phenomenal pic.  My God, I wish we had a recording of Moby Dick from this show.  DAMNIT, why wasn't this professionally recorded!!!??????

Its odd that there are only two pictures from this show. Obviously, both photos above were taken by someone with access to the band. I would assume that photographer took more photos than the two we see here. I would also assume that fans brought their own cameras, of course.

Sam-Is it possible to simply ask Eddie Kramer if he was there to record the show?

6 minutes ago, bcarter690 said:

Its odd that there are only two pictures from this show. Obviously, both photos above were taken by someone with access to the band. I would assume that photographer took more photos than the two we see here. I would also assume that fans brought their own cameras, of course.

Sam-Is it possible to simply ask Eddie Kramer if he was there to record the show?

I would think he would have just attended the gig. Over all these years there would have been some mention of  him recording for that show.

It does seem odd that there are so few photographic documents. I mean it's not every day you play Carnegie Hall.

Just now, porgie66 said:

I would think he would have just attended the gig. Over all these years there would have been some mention of  him recording for that show.

It does seem odd that there are so few photographic documents. I mean it's not every day you play Carnegie Hall.

Good point. Its entirely possibly that he simply attended the show as an observer. And you're right; We probably would have heard at least a shadow of a rumor by now.

Its just a bit disappointing that they performed at this prestigious venue and there are very little documents available.