Jimmy's amp "stacks"

mickey g

8 hours ago, mickey g said:

I've always wondered why Jimmy never had his all his speaker cabinets stacked like Clapton did in the Cream. Instead he has them spread out horizontally.

image.png.e697c9319bad265fabe7c0e50a17342f.png

I'll say, for all the talk about how it sounded like a 787 was taking off inside the arena during a Zeppelin concert, that doesn't seem like a lot of speakerage. I guess each one of those is extremely loud. 

EDIT: Yet if each one is so freaking loud how does the band waltz around in front of them for three hours every night? Am I missing something here?

Well, for one, that picture is of a Zeppelin tribute act 😂  With Bonham's drums being the amber vistalite kit and being on a riser, it would have to be '75, but they had those giant light bulbs along the edge of the stage in '75.  Also does not look like the real Plant or Jones.  Furthermore, look at how many older folks there are in the audience (and how conservatively they're sitting).

Page did have his cabinets stacked, from 1969-1971.  Anyone's guess as to why he started spreading them out, but one reason could be that he may have wanted more sound available across the stage, and to get some of that volume away from his ear-level.  He also needed the echoplexes at a height where he could adjust them, such as for the theremin solo.

Another reason could be that between 1969-1971 he was only running 2 amp heads, with 1 of those amps doing double-duty for the theremin. So, two stacks of cabinets made sense. When he added the extra amp just for the theremin in 1971, that's when he also got more cabs and spread them out. He also started putting a cabinet on the other side of Bonham's drum kit, so he could still hear himself while he was listening to Jones' keyboard amps for Stairway. 

22 hours ago, paplbojo said:

I'll say, for all the talk about how it sounded like a 787 was taking off inside the arena during a Zeppelin concert, that doesn't seem like a lot of speakerage. I guess each one of those is extremely loud. 

EDIT: Yet if each one is so freaking loud how does the band waltz around in front of them for three hours every night? Am I missing something here?

a 100 watt valve amp is incredibly loud. however, what makes the volume so loud in an arena is the PA. this guitar amps are mic'd up and fed into the PA to boost the volume. the volume n stage will also have been extremely loud

but make no mistake standing in front of stacks at max volume is punishing on the ears which is why so many old singers and musicians have hearing problems

1 hour ago, jsj said:

a 100 watt valve amp is incredibly loud. however, what makes the volume so loud in an arena is the PA. this guitar amps are mic'd up and fed into the PA to boost the volume.

Ahhh I see. Thank you very much that's exactly what I was wondering. 

Archived