Could Bonzo play with anyone?

McSeven

I was listening to a Jimmy Page interview where he stated that Led Zeppelin where basically the only band that Bonzo skill set would allow him to play the drums the way he wanted to.  

I posted that statement on my Zep Facebook group and it sort of caused an up roar.  

Do any of you think you could plug Zep into a band where he would do well, or do you think that Bonzo's style would cripple the band.  Like could Bonzo fit into Sabbath better than The Who/Beatles/Stones/Hendrix.  

21 hours ago, McSeven said:

I was listening to a Jimmy Page interview where he stated that Led Zeppelin where basically the only band that Bonzo skill set would allow him to play the drums the way he wanted to.  

I posted that statement on my Zep Facebook group and it sort of caused an up roar.  

Do any of you think you could plug Zep into a band where he would do well, or do you think that Bonzo's style would cripple the band.  Like could Bonzo fit into Sabbath better than The Who/Beatles/Stones/Hendrix.  

Maybe that was true when they first formed. But, John and Zeppelin had set a new standard where I think he would have fit in a lot of bands post 1969 ..

I could easily see him fitting into a lot of bands .. ELO Deep Purple Black Sabbath Aerosmith to name a few..     

When I used to play drums, my style, drums & cymbals were heavily based on Bonham & I can say that when I auditioned for a few bands, they would generally give me the job & often have to change their writing to accomodate my drumming unless they were playing heavier stuff already.

Obviously that was very low level stuff compared with Zeppelin & Deep Purple but a drummer has a huge, huge effect on a group's sound unless they happen to be extremely versatile.

The best example I can think of (in a rock setting) is putting Keith Moon in The Beatles, the whole thing would sound completely different (I love Moon & Ringo by the way). Bonham was a great, great drummer but he always sounded like John Bonham, which is a good thing. Luckily Zeppelin & him were a match made in heaven.

Archived