Vegetarian Recipes

Jimmy's A Legend

Jimmy Ray, please show us your recipe...many vegetarians are ovo-lacto-vegetarians, and they eat eggs, cheese and butter...

So, here's my mum's curry semolina pan cake recipe:

you need

- a small sweet pepper (red)

- 200 g leek

- 1 table spoon curry

- one table spoon olive oil

- 120 semolina

- 400 ml vegetable stock

- herbs and spices of your choice

- parmesan cheese

-sesame

Dice the pepper, cut the white and the light green parts of the leek into small rings, braise the vegetables lightly together with the curry. Add the semolina and fill it up with the vegetable stock. Season it with the herbs and spices (e.g. cayenne), and cook it for five min, stirring constantly.

Roll the semolina out between two pieces of baking paper, put the upper paper off, and dredge the pancake with sesame and parmesan.

Bake it in the hot oven (220 °C) for 15 min, till the surface is crispy.

You can eat it with cream cheese, or vegetables, or any side dish you like.

(huh, it took me sooo long to translate! I hope you can understand...I never trandlated a recipe before!)

Jimmy Ray, please show us your recipe...many vegetarians are ovo-lacto-vegetarians, and they eat eggs, cheese and butter...

So, here's my mum's curry semolina pan cake recipe:

you need

- a small sweet pepper (red)

- 200 g leek

- 1 table spoon curry

- one table spoon olive oil

- 120 semolina

- 400 ml vegetable stock

- herbs and spices of your choice

- parmesan cheese

-sesame

Dice the pepper, cut the white and the light green parts of the leek into small rings, braise the vegetables lightly together with the curry. Add the semolina and fill it up with the vegetable stock. Season it with the herbs and spices (e.g. cayenne), and cook it for five min, stirring constantly.

Roll the semolina out between two pieces of baking paper, put the upper paper off, and dredge the pancake with sesame and parmesan.

Bake it in the hot oven (220 °C) for 15 min, till the surface is crispy.

You can eat it with cream cheese, or vegetables, or any side dish you like.

(huh, it took me sooo long to translate! I hope you can understand...I never trandlated a recipe before!)

That sounds amazing! Thank You!

And she's right-It's vegans who don't eat things that come from animals like eggs and cheese and milk...

Here's the potato pancake recipe, since you all gave clearance to the eggs:

Peel off the skin, and coarsely grate 10 potatoes and 5 onions. Mix well in a large bowl with 1/2 cup flour, 2 beaten eggs, and salt and pepper. Use a large spoon to lay mounds of the mixture in a fry pan of melted butter or vegetable oil, flatten out the mounds into round, semi-thin pancakes, and cook until golden brown on both sides. Lay on paper towels to remove the greasiness, before serving.

It takes quite some time to get them crispy, so using large or multiple fry pans is somewhat critical. If you can't cook large batches at one time, the cooked ones can be kept warm in the oven while the next batch is being fried up.

This recipe makes about 2 dozen pancakes - but most people can eat at least 5 each, if it's the main coarse. I like lots of applesauce with mine, but have had guests ask for sour cream, syrup, or even ketchup for theirs.

Lentil burgers (these are vegan)

Cook 1 cup of lentils ahead of time and 1/2 cup barley

Medium skillet take 1 TBSP oil over medium heat. Add 1 cup chopped mushrooms (any kind) and 1/2 cup chopped onions and stir until softened (about 3 min). Reduce heat to low and add the lentils and 1 TBSP soy sauce. Mash with fork and continue cooking until a film forms on the pan.

Remove from heat and add barley, 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts, 2 TBSP bread crumbs and 1/4 tsp pepper. Let cool.

Form into 4 patties and chill 1 hour.

Pour 1/4 inch oil in large skilllet and heat medium flame until oil bubbles when a few bread crumbs are put in. Cook patties until they're browned and crusty on one side. Flip and do the same on the other.

They're delicious and they freeze well.

Thanks for the inspiration Ninelives and Jimmyray...

Vielen Dank Lucyinthesky ich geh das gleich ausprobieren.....yep mitten in der Nacht...

(And to add a third language....Het maakt geen ruk uit wat hier staat want er is toch geen hond die dit kan lezen, lol, de kans is klein)

Vielen Dank Lucyinthesky ich geh das gleich ausprobieren.....yep mitten in der Nacht...

(And to add a third language....Het maakt geen ruk uit wat hier staat want er is toch geen hond die dit kan lezen, lol, de kans is klein)

Uh...echt? Hat's geklappt :D ?

What does that mean...I only think that "die dit kan lezen" means "who can read that"...but my dutch is horrible;- )

Oh, and here's another nice recipe:

Stuffed Peppers:

you need (for 4 persons):

- 1 onion (I don't use that because I loathe onions)

- one garlic clove (the same as above)

- 2 large spoons of colza oil

- 100 g sorghum

- 3 large peppers (colour of your choice, but I personally prefer the red ones)

- 1/2 bunch (can I say this?...couldn't find a better translation) of parsley

- 150 g mozzarella

- 500 ml vegetable stock

- herbs of your choice (maybe oregano and basil)

Cook the sorghum in 250 ml vegetable stock for ca. 15 min, cut the peppers into halfs.

Chop the parsley and the mozzarella, mix it with the sorghum and put the other herbs into it (not too much, the vegetable stock is very intense in taste).

Then fill it into the pepper halfs and put it into a baking pan, and pour the rest of the vegetable stock over it.

Refine it in the 200 °C hot oven for half an hour. Garnish it with fresh basil.

Enjoy!

Hi High,

Lucyinthesky

I read your post while I dropped by.........

With a bit of re-translation I figured everything out (there are certain english words even I don't know, haha)

It worked out fine, a tad slow since I had some absinthe before and it tasted GREAT....Muchos gracias...

Cool to see that some people appreciate vegetarian food here. I learned to love it while beeing in India, where I got ill from eating something I bought in the streets. The doctor gave me the biggest anal pills I had ever seen in my life and told me to stick to vegetarian food (and to stick those pills up my ass, but that's another story). Their vegetarian cuisine is so fantastic that one doesn't miss or even have the need to eat meat!

To translate the dutch writewrite:

yeah the words you could read were correct.

Roughly translated it says:

It doesn't matter a shit what's written here since there ain't nobody around here who can read this anyway, lol, chances are small :D

Aloo Matar

Ingredients

Serves 4

4 large potatoes or the equivalent in new potatoes

1 onion

Some peas, fresh or frozen. However much you like.

1 tsp ground coriander

1tsp ground cumin

1tsp ground tumeric

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp sugar

As much chilli as you like, powdered, dried or fresh

1tsp garam masala

A knob of butter (or oil if you’re vegan)

A pinch of salt and pepper

The Cooking

Chop up the onion really finely, as finely as you can bear with tears streaming down your face. If possible, it should be almost chopped to a paste although don’t worry if it’s not. Melt the butter in a non-stick saucepan on a low-to-medium heat and when it starts to foam, add the onion. Stir it occasionally as you get on with the other stuff, but not too much, it’s nice when it catches a bit.

Now cut up the potatoes into roughly equal-sized chunks. If you’re using new potatoes just halve them.

Mix together the coriander, cumin, cayenne, sugar, chilli, salt and pepper (but not the garam masala). When the onions are golden brown, almost burnt, add the potatoes and the spice mix, give it a good stir so the onions and potato are coated and let it cook for a minute. Then pour in some cold water, enough to almost cover the potatoes.

Bring the whole thing up to the boil and let it bubble away for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and tasting often - if you feel it needs more salt then add it. As the potato softens and the liquid reduces a bit, smoosh a couple of the potatoes into the liquid to thicken it.

If it gets a bit dry, add more water. If it’s too watery, smoosh some more of the potato into it and turn up the heat and reduce the liquid some more. Use the mighty power of your brain.

After 15 minutes, check if the potatoes are almost-but-not-completely cooked. If they are, add the peas (if they’re not, cook them some more until they are, obviously). Once the peas are cooked (about 5 minutes), sprinkle over the garam masala, stir it around for another minute and serve it up with basmati rice and dhal (lentils), if you like.

Oh, and here's another nice recipe:

Stuffed Peppers:

Enjoy!

I love stuffed peppers, although usually with a filling that is forbidden in this thread. Sometimes, though, the very outer skin has an undesireable texture - like plastic wrap. I've heard of blanching (roll around in boiling water for a few minutes) them before filling, to remove this skin. What do you think?

^^why is that forbidden? I thought it was a thread for vegetarian recipes...and this seemed like one for me...

your tip sounds very smart...

but in the case of my recipe (or better: my mum's, but she allowed me to post it), the pepper is like cooked in the veg. stock, and the skin stays quite soft. Plus you really need it, because elseway the flesh would be too soft and you couldn't get it out from the pan anymore...

Reswati: I had to laugh when I read what you wrote...it's priceless!

Cooking while being on absinthe...another way to try out creative cuisine :- )

Indish food is awesome, I love it (will try out your Aloo Matar as soon as I find time to cook again, which will be approx. when I get retired). But on the other hand...I'm really not keen on getting huge pills stuffed in my ass...really not ;- )

PS: now I understand your dutch message...when you know what the words are, it's easy from German :- )

Love and Peace to you all!

^^why is that forbidden? I thought it was a thread for vegetarian recipes...and this seemed like one for me...

your tip sounds very smart...

but in the case of my recipe (or better: my mum's, but she allowed me to post it), the pepper is like cooked in the veg. stock, and the skin stays quite soft. Plus you really need it, because elseway the flesh would be too soft and you couldn't get it out from the pan anymore...

Love and Peace to you all!

The forbidden ingredient is chopped meat - as well as olive oil, tomato sauce, and rice. Just wondering if your peppers had a chewy skin issue? I like to refine recipes as they go...

My all-time favorite vegetarian dish, spinach lasagne:

Ingredients:

•1 pound "no-boil" lasagne

•36 ounces chopped or crushed tomatoes

•3 cloves garlic, crushed

•1 T. dried oregano

•1 T. dried parsley

•1 pound ricotta cheese

•3 ounces grated Parmesan cheese

•8 ounces grated mozzarella cheese

•2 eggs, slightly beaten

•10 ounces frozen chopped spinach

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Put the frozen spinach in the bowl of a food processor, and process until broken up and nearly flaked. Add the garlic, oregano, parsley, ricotta, eggs, and mozzarella. Process briefly until the mixture is uniform. Pour about 1/4 of the tomatoes on the bottom of a 9" by 13" baking pan. Cover the pan with a layer of lasagne noodles (uncooked). Spread 1/3 of the spinach/cheese mixture over the noodles. Repeat two more times with tomatoes, noodles, and spinach/cheese mixture, ending with a layer of plain noodles on the top. Pour the remainder of the tomatoes on top of the noodles. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes. If any of the noodles have not softened after the first hour, carefully tuck them under the sauce to be sure that they will soften during the final baking period. Let the lasagne sit for about 10 minutes before serving.

Archived