How Many More Times

Wow! Thank you, The Pagemeister! LOVE that riff! Love to do that D, A thing and back to the first phrase thing. Here's to you! :beer:

Ahhhhhh...now for the next phrases... :notworthy:

Hey, it's me again. Before that riff, I usually try to do the intro the way he does it: E, E7, A (barre chord), slide down : (repeat). Then that fancy shimmying stuff with the sliding again. At this point, I'd do the riff that Kim (above instructor in the video) teaches. :notworthy:

That way (the OP) will likely be the best way to play it on the Bass. I like to play it on the top (E) string and the second to the top (A) string.

Hold the pointer finger on the "A" string at the 5th fret and bounce the ring finger back and forth from the "A" string 7th fret to the "E" string at the 7th fret. The other part with the sustaining chords is just an easy "D" bar up to a "E" bar from there.

I never really looked closely to see how Page or Jones play's it. But being as there are lot's of over dub's in the studio version it may well be a combination of the single note and rif's.

Hey, fellow-musicians, have ya heard the news. just kidding :) I like to do it a VERY VERY EZ way:

Just do the regular E chord and fool around with the top 3 strings. (the bass strings) for that riff. This is similar to the Kim guy's way (above link by The Page Meister.)

BTW: Just now, I viewed Page doing it during the Page/Plant (Bizarre Concert) on YouTube. He does it similar to you, BonzoLikeDrumer. After watching Page, (he looked so good playing those 32nd notes--ya know, the segue to the Bolero. Yikes! :veryhot: ) I lost all concentration and took a short nap. lol :fan:

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but I can't even watch this. Neither Communication Breakdown or How Many More Times were played in first position. 7th position folks! Two finger pulloffs from the 9th to the 7th. Do a 7th fret E chord using your third or fourth finger to barre on the 9th, and pull it off. It's easier than spreading jam on toast!

*edit to add* I'm sorry. I don't mean to sound arrogant. I just hate it when people add shit that just confuses what is really quite simple.

Sorry Kim, it isn't played that way.

I've always played it on the fifth fret in the C7 position, if you know what I mean.

You are correct about the single note riff Reg. Octave E on the A string, 7th fret is in that mode. I was really just generalizing where the E chord lies on Communication Breakdown, HMMT and WLL. If you know what I mean! ;)

You are correct about the single note riff Reg. Octave E on the A string, 7th fret is in that mode. I was really just generalizing where the E chord lies on Communication Breakdown, HMMT and WLL. If you know what I mean! ;)

Gotcha.

The blues lives in E no matter where you play it!

I play Welcome To The Machine in Em on the 7th fret with both E strings open, sounds mad going to and from C!

Archived