Guitar Painting!

Zoso1968

I see a black guitar and i want to paint it..... BLUE!! (i really hope some of you get that...)

so yea im going to be getting a new guitar soon... its a piece of junk really, one of those $100 value pack with the amp and chord strap bag.. w/e... u get it....

im getting it partly because its a strat knockoff, and i want something with a tremolo... so that seems like a good play to start... being that i dont like most other things that have tremolos... like those shredders and stuf... yuk.. (no offense to ne owners, just not for me)

ANYWAYS it only comes in black.. and that pisses me off a bit.... cuz i dont want it to be black, id like it to be a pretty dark blue... something like the bossman's jacket color http://headfirstlabs.com/books/hrajax/chap...apton_cream.jpg

BUUUT i have absolutely no idea how to do it... and if i can cut corners being that its junky and such sooooo Please Help and thanks!

I see a black guitar and i want to paint it..... BLUE!! (i really hope some of you get that...)

so yea im going to be getting a new guitar soon... its a piece of junk really, one of those $100 value pack with the amp and chord strap bag.. w/e... u get it....

im getting it partly because its a strat knockoff, and i want something with a tremolo... so that seems like a good play to start... being that i dont like most other things that have tremolos... like those shredders and stuf... yuk.. (no offense to ne owners, just not for me)

ANYWAYS it only comes in black.. and that pisses me off a bit.... cuz i dont want it to be black, id like it to be a pretty dark blue... something like the bossman's jacket color http://headfirstlabs.com/books/hrajax/chap...apton_cream.jpg

BUUUT i have absolutely no idea how to do it... and if i can cut corners being that its junky and such sooooo Please Help and thanks!

Take it apart and paint it. Just remember how you put it back together.

would i need to chip off the paint thats already there? (i read that somewhere, dont know if its necessary)

and would i need to prime it with like a light blue or something?

What sort of finish is on it now? If you want to take a sander to it you can but it may take out any balance that there is to it all together. Some guitars have a top coat of some sort of see-through sealant that is nice and shinny.

What sort of finish is on it now? If you want to take a sander to it you can but it may take out any balance that there is to it all together. Some guitars have a top coat of some sort of see-through sealant that is nice and shinny.

its just a black finish

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...?sku=582139#new

what sort of paint should i use?

So what do you think about this one? There's a blue one in there and it's a much better guitar, I had a white one of these back 15 years ago. Or have you already got the other one? You know Musician's Friend is really good about returning stuff.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...?sku=510423#new

Just remember not to put any heavy string's on it or any other low cost guitar.

So what do you think about this one? There's a blue one in there and it's a much better guitar, I had a white one of these back 15 years ago. Or have you already got the other one? You know Musician's Friend is really good about returning stuff.

Just remember not to put any heavy string's on it or any other low cost guitar.

yea thats what i would actually like to have, but im not looking to spend over 100 for it, and the other thing includes all those acessories, really this guitar is for bringing to school and not caring if it gets a bit messed up, like i would with that harmony, and also for bringing in here by the comp to learn songs so i can have an amp next to me and what not thats not massive and 40 watts, (and maybe, just maybe, to look a little like page's strat color, just cuz its that fkin cool =) )

but no ive not gotten it yet, think im going to wait until next tuesday (i get paid then) to get it, adn just get some accessories that i want, slide, acoustic strap, some different picks to try, tuner, metronome, thats about it, o and a stringwinder... tried changing acoustic strings with just some pliers.... TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!

=) thanks!

yea thats what i would actually like to have, but im not looking to spend over 100 for it, and the other thing includes all those acessories, really this guitar is for bringing to school and not caring if it gets a bit messed up, like i would with that harmony, and also for bringing in here by the comp to learn songs so i can have an amp next to me and what not thats not massive and 40 watts, (and maybe, just maybe, to look a little like page's strat color, just cuz its that fkin cool =) )

but no ive not gotten it yet, think im going to wait until next tuesday (i get paid then) to get it, adn just get some accessories that i want, slide, acoustic strap, some different picks to try, tuner, metronome, thats about it, o and a stringwinder... tried changing acoustic strings with just some pliers.... TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!

=) thanks!

Here's the tuner I've been using ever since my Peterson stopped working. It's always there and you can download it (I don't bother with that).

http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/

If you've had a job for six month's Musician's Friend will give you a credit account of at least $500.00. I would still suggest you not spend much more than $300.00 to start with as you don't know if you will like playing yet. You could get a Squire and a low end Marshal or something like a Marshal for that money.

If you really want the kit set-up here it is.... http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...?sku=513288#new

Or, you can buy the Squire and the Marshal MG15 amp separate for some where around $300.00.

Here's the tuner I've been using ever since my Peterson stopped working. It's always there and you can download it (I don't bother with that).

http://www.howtotuneaguitar.org/

If you've had a job for six month's Musician's Friend will give you a credit account of at least $500.00. I would still suggest you not spend much more than $300.00 to start with as you don't know if you will like playing yet. You could get a Squire and a low end Marshal or something like a Marshal for that money.

If you really want the kit set-up here it is.... http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...?sku=513288#new

Or, you can buy the Squire and the Marshal MG15 amp separate for some where around $300.00.

thats a really cool tuner there =) is there any place on that site thatl show how to use the different alternate tunings? i understand that you just use the little drop down thing and such but i wouldnt know which note to use as there were like 129047 different variations =)

does that 500 dollar credit apply to everyone? i personally have only been employed for about a month... but my dad... well... thats a little different.. =) could he get that 500 dollar credit? cuz that would be veeeeery good....

i was actually looking into that kit u sent the link to before i got my current electric... my dad actually saw me looking at it and said hey use my guitar... there i just saved you a couple hundred bucks...so yea... i have no problem with that kit (other than the color choices arent too delectable to me.. that blue is kinda flat and bleh haha)

also another thing i was planning on getting this summer was a marshall haha the mg30fx actually...

i had planned originally to get the mg15, which is 199 but then i saw the mg30 which was 2x the wattage for only 50 more at 249, so im going to go with that...=) gotta love a marshall haha

Thanks for all this help btw, really appreciate it

ps i dont really like the metallic blue that was on there but this first one you sent in the baltic blue... now thats some sexy shit...

also you said not to put heavy strings on there, would ernie ball 9's be ok? or should i stick with 8's? thanks again!

thats a really cool tuner there =) is there any place on that site thatl show how to use the different alternate tunings? i understand that you just use the little drop down thing and such but i wouldnt know which note to use as there were like 129047 different variations =)

does that 500 dollar credit apply to everyone? i personally have only been employed for about a month... but my dad... well... thats a little different.. =) could he get that 500 dollar credit? cuz that would be veeeeery good....

i was actually looking into that kit u sent the link to before i got my current electric... my dad actually saw me looking at it and said hey use my guitar... there i just saved you a couple hundred bucks...so yea... i have no problem with that kit (other than the color choices arent too delectable to me.. that blue is kinda flat and bleh haha)

also another thing i was planning on getting this summer was a marshall haha the mg30fx actually...

i had planned originally to get the mg15, which is 199 but then i saw the mg30 which was 2x the wattage for only 50 more at 249, so im going to go with that...=) gotta love a marshall haha

Thanks for all this help btw, really appreciate it

ps i dont really like the metallic blue that was on there but this first one you sent in the baltic blue... now thats some sexy shit...

also you said not to put heavy strings on there, would ernie ball 9's be ok? or should i stick with 8's? thanks again!

Yes, look to the top left on the page and there is some alternate tunings, I don't use them so I don't know how well they are on that site.

Well, you can work for the next 5 month's while your learning on your dad's axe and after you get the credit (please don't spend to much) you can get what you want.

I have a G30RCD that is the predecessor of the MG30, I got it 2nd hand about 5 years ago and used it for a few years before it stopped working the speaker is still good but the board is cracked. I only payed $100.00 for it so I got my money's worth out of it, it was a good sounding amp and was loud as frick! Not a lot of big crunch like a large 4 X 12" cabinet but it was a great practice amp.

As long as you don't go above 10's you'll be ok with the string's.

Yes, look to the top left on the page and there is some alternate tunings, I don't use them so I don't know how well they are on that site.

Well, you can work for the next 5 month's while your learning on your dad's axe and after you get the credit (please don't spend to much) you can get what you want.

I have a G30RCD that is the predecessor of the MG30, I got it 2nd hand about 5 years ago and used it for a few years before it stopped working the speaker is still good but the board is cracked. I only payed $100.00 for it so I got my money's worth out of it, it was a good sounding amp and was loud as frick! Not a lot of big crunch like a large 4 X 12" cabinet but it was a great practice amp.

As long as you don't go above 10's you'll be ok with the string's.

sweet, ive been getting better and better at tuning them myself without my dads help, but not quite there, haha, wanted to try doing some alternate tuning songs like kashmir of course... =)

so itd have to be me for the full 5 months? damn... i doubt ill have a job after this summer... school starts back august 9th or so... so i dont think ill have a job then... we get out at 430 and i have an hour long commute haha

yea ive tried the mg30 out at guitar center and its pretty good... just wish i could get that mg50 haha much better.. but out of my budget range =/ o well...

sweet yea i dont want to go any higher than the 9s.... they sound so much better than 8's but theyre kinda difficult to bend a full step or higher... that might be my fault when i changed the strings...

Not sure if this thread is still about painting a guitar. Either way I wouldn't recommend trying it. The poly finish used on guitar's like the one in the Strat pack is thick and very hard, removing it will be very difficult. Assuming you could get the finish off you may have trouble getting a decent finish back on unless you have a paint booth and access to expensive paints and clears. doing the shake and shoot paint can thing usually doesn't produce good results.

Not sure if this thread is still about painting a guitar. Either way I wouldn't recommend trying it. The poly finish used on guitar's like the one in the Strat pack is thick and very hard, removing it will be very difficult. Assuming you could get the finish off you may have trouble getting a decent finish back on unless you have a paint booth and access to expensive paints and clears. doing the shake and shoot paint can thing usually doesn't produce good results.

That's what I was thinking and why I now suggested getting a different guitar. You could vary well do a good job of removing the old paint with a glass beadier but, you will be taking off a lot of wood with that or a sand blaster as well (even with a steady hand), so it may not be a good idea any way's.

Just go to the Guitar Center and give them your credit card/debit card or whatever you have. They will take it to the back and tell you how much credit you are able to use, and then you just have to pay it back usually within 90 days before you get hit with interest. Worth a shot to see if you can get any, even before you hold your job longer. Also, I know musicians friend will give you a year to pay your credit back, but i'm not sure what kind of interest/stipulations are on that.

Guitar painting. I'm sure you saw the other thread about my Schwinn bicycle painted Explorer copy back in 1978. 12 years later, it didn't get anymore intelligent. Took my Telecaster, which had a nasty baby vomit color, to the shop. The body shop at the local Ford dealership. Yep, that's right! I had that badboy sprayed Mustang Blue in the fucking automobile bodyshop!

Here tis. Maybe it matches your CAR!!!

EvTele.jpg

Should've sanded it first..

EvFace4008.jpg

But who gives a shit? It's a Tele!

hahahha now thats funny shit... nice guitar, how old is it? and how much did they charge you to do it? unfortunately here in bham al, all we really have is a massive fucking iron furnace, but its kick ass.... thats actually where im working atm... but yea, so ev could if i just used some automotive paint should i chip the current paint off first or just paint ontop of it?

thanks

Musician's Friend work's basically like any other credit company through "Bill Me Later", if you pay off the balance before the next monthly cycle there are no extra charges, just the cost of the gear. They do run deal's from time to time (I get E-mail's once a week) with 90 day's or even 6-12 month's with no interest but, on the next billing cycle they hit you with all the interest at once! So you may want to avoid that deal until you have a steady job, I'm in debt and I'm paying it off as I go but, I have a working act and have been playing for a long time so I recon I deserve what I have and work for.

Musician's Friend work's basically like any other credit company through "Bill Me Later", if you pay off the balance before the next monthly cycle there are no extra charges, just the cost of the gear. They do run deal's from time to time (I get E-mail's once a week) with 90 day's or even 6-12 month's with no interest but, on the next billing cycle they hit you with all the interest at once! So you may want to avoid that deal until you have a steady job, I'm in debt and I'm paying it off as I go but, I have a working act and have been playing for a long time so I recon I deserve what I have and work for.

ahh sweet thanks for clearing that up for me guys..

soooo back to the real topic of the thread =) (mostly directed at ev) would i have to chip that paint off first? and could i just buy some spray automotive paint for it?

Archived