Broken tuning peg

ms_zeppelin94

Ok, here goes...

I was changing my strings the other night & noticed that the tuning peg for the G string was loose & I thought "Geez, maybe that's why it never stays tuned..." So I decide to try & tighten it a bit, but just as I put pressure on the bolt, it snaps loose & spins freely. (which even surprized the guy at the guitar shop, since the pegs are supposed to be really good) I think "oh shit...this is great..." So I take it off & tarnish comes out all over me. It was all caked up all in the threads...it was pretty bad.

Anyways...Come to find out that I broke off the bolt, so half of it is still inside the other part of the peg (sorry, kinda hard to explain..). I took it to the shop & the guy there said I could just super-glue it back in there..which somehow doesn't seem like a very good idea to me. I'd rather just go ahead & get another peg.

So, I was just wanting some other opinions/ideas from seasoned players.

Thank you!

Edited to say I'll try to get pics later so you can understand the situation better

Ok, here goes...

I was changing my strings the other night & noticed that the tuning peg for the G string was loose & I thought "Geez, maybe that's why it never stays tuned..." So I decide to try & tighten it a bit, but just as I put pressure on the bolt, it snaps loose & spins freely. (which even surprized the guy at the guitar shop, since the pegs are supposed to be really good) I think "oh shit...this is great..." So I take it off & tarnish comes out all over me. It was all caked up all in the threads...it was pretty bad.

Anyways...Come to find out that I broke off the bolt, so half of it is still inside the other part of the peg (sorry, kinda hard to explain..). I took it to the shop & the guy there said I could just super-glue it back in there..which somehow doesn't seem like a very good idea to me. I'd rather just go ahead & get another peg.

So, I was just wanting some other opinions/ideas from seasoned players.

Thank you!

Edited to say I'll try to get pics later so you can understand the situation better

Picture's will help, and what kind of axe is it? Like Ev said to. But off hand I'd say replace machine"s (tuner's) in set's of 6 or 12 or how ever many there are total.

Agreed we need more info. For example, pearloid/plastic button or metal? Glued or fused onto the post or held on with a screw?

Picture's will help, and what kind of axe is it? Like Ev said to. But off hand I'd say replace machine"s (tuner's) in set's of 6 or 12 or how ever many there are total.

I'm working on uploading pics now :D

Metal peg, screwed into the neck. Greg Bennett Malibu MB-1

P7151292-1.jpg

Broken bolt circled in green

P7151293-1.jpg

The other half of the bolt is inside the peg, outlined by the green semi-circle

Yeah, I'm still thinking it's better to replace it instead of just super-glueing it back in there

Super-gluing it would be the answer if you were onstage during a gig.

Replacing would be better since you have the time. ;)

Super-gluing it would be the answer if you were onstage during a gig.

Replacing would be better since you have the time. ;)

Although on saying that, I have never really personally carried a little bottle of super glue up on stage with me. Although, depending on the venue, some of the folks there could be sniffing glue so you could probably borrow theirs. :lol:

Yeah, I agree with what the other guys say, replace the peg. The whole idea of putting superglue on a guitar peg seems a little silly to me.

Although on saying that, I have never really personally carried a little bottle of super glue up on stage with me. Although, depending on the venue, some of the folks there could be sniffing glue so you could probably borrow theirs. :lol:

Yeah, I agree with what the other guys say, replace the peg. The whole idea of putting superglue on a guitar peg seems a little silly to me.

As long as you don't get guy's wandering up on stage to smell your guitar!!! :hysterical:

Funny, you guys :lol:

Thanks to everybody for suggestions. I finally got it fixed last weekend; replaced the peg since I didn't want crazy fans sniffing my guitar ;)

Thanks to all!

Welcome, you never know, you may start a new fad MsZeppelin94!! I can see it now teen's every where getting high on guitar tuner's!

And of course the Mother's Against Guitar Tuner's group's that will follow!!

I'm sorry that was a bad joke, I love my drug/drink free life and my mother as well!

Welcome, you never know, you may start a new fad MsZeppelin94!! I can see it now teen's every where getting high on guitar tuner's!

And of course the Mother's Against Guitar Tuner's group's that will follow!!

I'm sorry that was a bad joke, I love my drug/drink free life and my mother as well!

:lol:

I thought The Mother's Against Guitar Tuners was pretty good

Archived