Paul McCartney at CitiField in NYC on 7/18/2009

Wolfman

paul_mccartney_1_1.jpg

PM put on one fantastic show last night at the new Citifield in NYC. The set was around 2 1/2 hours long with Paul really mingling with the crowd. He's also one bad ass guitar player showing off his chops when they broke into "Purple Haze". He played several Les Paul guitars, a mandolin, piano, and of course, bass. His band was fantastic and there were some great videos played. "Live and Let Die" had an amazing fireworks display going. The best part for me was that I was only five rows off the field and had perfect eye-level seating. The opening act was "The Script" who were kinda of a U2 wannabe. They were too loud for my tastes so I went off for some booze. The Wolfman had a great time on his birthday with the Walrus!

Setlist

“Drive My Car”

“Jet”

“Only Mama Knows”

“Flaming Pie”

“Got To Get You Into My Life”

“Let Me Roll It”

“Highway”

“The Long and Winding Road”

“My Love”

“Blackbird”

“Here Today”

“Dance Tonight”

“Calico Skies”

“Mrs. Vanderbilt”

“Eleanor Rigby”

“Sing the Changes ”

“Band on the Run”

“Back in the U.S.S.R.”

“I’m Down”

“Something”

“I’ve Got a Feeling”

“Paperback Writer”

“A Day in the Life”/”Give Peace a Chance”

“Let It Be”

“Live and Let Die”

“Hey Jude”

Encores

“Day Tripper”

“Lady Madonna”

“I Saw Her Standing There

“Yesterday”

“Helter Skelter”

“Get Back”

“Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)”/”The End”

Your post has just made me very happy that I decided to buy tickets to the Atlanta show and schedule a road trip complete with hotel, etc. I made my decision after watching his set on Letterman. Macca is amazing, 67 years old and still rocking. As I told some of my young musician friends here in Nashville the night of the Letterman set.....watch, learn, take notes.......

:) Wow great shot & comments, Wolfman!

Thanks but to be honest, I took that photo from a NYC website. I wish I brought a camera though, I could have had some great shots. :D

I really regret that I didn't get tickets for McCartney when he was here before. Although I haven't followed his solo career much, he's the guy I want to see most that I haven't before, even more than Plant. Probably because I've been a Beatles fan from the time I was a kid. I think the excitement of being in the audience for one of his concerts would be something I'd NEVER forget.

When I heard he was playing at Shea earlier this month, I asked a friend if she'd want to go with me. But it was less than a week before the show, and we're in MN...for practical reasons it was too late for us to plan that. I hope he comes to MN again, so I have the chance to at least try to get tickets. It is amazing that he's still touring. Robert's not slowing down either, which may give me a chance to see him in the future too. If I could see both before I die, wow!

Thanks but to be honest, I took that photo from a NYC website. I wish I brought a camera though, I could have had some great shots. :D

Naah, good thing you didn't 'cuz you would have missed out on that great experience! All those moments! with such great musicians! I heard the band was marvelous! with great backing vocals to boot! :D

I went to the opening show on Friday and Paul and his band put on one hell of a show. I didn't think he put on a show this long as I was surprised. A real nostalgia set list as he has so much to draw from. I don't think it couldn't have been much better. Billy Joel guested during I Saw Her Standing There, returning the favor to Paul, who made an appearance at Billy's two shows at Shea Stadium last summer. These were the last concerts there, before it was demolished and made may for the Mets' new home CitiField. I thought the sound here was fantastic. You always worry about the acoustics in large venues like this. Loved the fireworks during Live and Let Die. My seats were decent in 332, just before the Acela CLub (glass enclosed restaurant). I still needed the video screens, but not as bad as being in the upper deck and farther away.

The new stadium is very open and a lot of great places to hang out and have a few before the show. Lots of good beverage and food choices as opposed to Shea. It's very fan friendly and why I like this place so much.

I'll definetely keep you posted, I hope it doesn't rain...I'll still have fun if it does!

↑ haha. Looking forward to't! Re: rain, there used to be a section called "Loge" @ good ol' Shea where you were guaranteed protection from rain. I used to go to Mets games and when we sat there, it was no problem. I heard that CitiField had a comparable section. Hope you're in that section, or better. :)

I went to the opening show on Friday and Paul and his band put on one hell of a show. I didn't think he put on a show this long as I was surprised. A real nostalgia set list as he has so much to draw from. I don't think it couldn't have been much better. Billy Joel guested during I Saw Her Standing There, returning the favor to Paul, who made an appearance at Billy's two shows at Shea Stadium last summer. These were the last concerts there, before it was demolished and made may for the Mets' new home CitiField. I thought the sound here was fantastic. You always worry about the acoustics in large venues like this. Loved the fireworks during Live and Let Die. My seats were decent in 332, just before the Acela CLub (glass enclosed restaurant). I still needed the video screens, but not as bad as being in the upper deck and farther away.

The new stadium is very open and a lot of great places to hang out and have a few before the show. Lots of good beverage and food choices as opposed to Shea. It's very fan friendly and why I like this place so much.

:D Good post, SuperDave! Yeah, all of what you said, pretty much what I've heard that night, too. (except the part re: concession stands. Too inaccessible for the plebians, now. In the old Shea days, concessions were more readily available to everyone and at reasonable prices. :( ) Hey, glad the acoustics were great. ;)

As far as cover from rain there isn't any on the first level unless you hang out on the concourses. That might not be a bad option considering how open CitiField is and you can get a decent view of the stage from there but you'll be standing. There are also drink holders in these areas ( as well as every seat in the stadium), so that's a plus. May also try the covered part of The Bridge area. My seats were on the 2nd Level (Excelsior) and except for the first few rows it's all covered.

Fan S., I don't think the food prices are that bad. Just try Yankee Stadium and especially Madison Square Garden and you'll really find inflated prices. I think the food lines are more crowded then games as once the concert starts no one goes to the food court. Now the beer stands...well, that's completely different!

It was a real party atmosphere in the food court behind center field and the smoking area down the steps behind here. It seems the new venue really promotes this positively. A lot of socializing between many of the fans. Something that was missing at Shea.

:) K, thanks, SuperDave! That's good to know. I must confess I was disparaging CitiField without having been there. It was purely based on hearsay, but from a very reliable source. And you do have a point re: priciness @ Yankee Stadium! haha. But, then again, I haven't been to the Yanks' new venue either! haha. I will soon visit both stadiums for games. Am looking forward to it.

Yet, my friend, I found the atmosphere at Shea very friendly. esp. when the Mets won! We'd descend the ramp all the way from the upper deck (cheap seats) yelling and screaming all the way to the bottom. Then we'd continue carousing into the 7 train in the subway. A friendly revelry of course! Never hostile to the poor fellow subway passengers! Same good feeling after a Robert Plant concert @ either Madison Square Garden or the Beacon. :):beer:

PS: Hope Paul's having a great concert tonight! ;) Lucky you, to see him and Billy Joel's surprise appearance!

Archived