I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

512g7Oa%2B6wL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A riveting crime drama that's based on a true story. This one has a lot of ups and downs but the main thing is Hilary Swank's relationship with her brother. She goes above and beyond to prove his innocence in a murder that he's been wrongly convicted of. From the description of it I was afraid this would be sort of a CSI type story for the big screen. While that is an aspect of it, the feeling I got out of it is just how far one will go for their loved ones.

516cDZDxjKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I first heard of Nathaniel Ayers thanks to a piece I saw on 60 Minutes several years ago. It wasn't long after that when I heard a movie was being made about him but it's taken until now to finally see it. Not a bad movie at all but it can be a bit frustrating to watch because of the very difficult time Downey's character has of getting through to Nathaniel (played by Jamie Foxx). There's no real tidy ending here as the crux of the movie is built upon that very frustration. It's when Downey lets up on Nathaniel that any real progress is finally made.

51RSxu8HsoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wok2QU3r098

Loved this. One of my favorite scenes is when Danny Kortchmar talks about a piece Lester Bangs wrote called James Taylor Marked for Death in which Bangs fantasizes about disemboweling Taylor with a broken Ripple bottle. Kortchmar says that James could "kick his ass" and that "Lester Bangs isn't remembered". Even though the second part (and maybe even the first) is wrong, I still found it to be funny as hell. Though Taylor has never read the piece, this is what he had to say about it:

"If you think [my music] is sentimental and self-absorbed, I agree with you. If you like that kind of thing, then listen to it. If you don't, you don't have to remove it from the face of the earth. It's not for everybody. But to me, there's still something compelling about doing it. Regardless of what the guy with the bottle of Ripple feels."

If you missed this when it first aired on PBS' American Masters series earlier this month you can still watch the entire episode online here.

Edited by Jahfin

51qv7IhJ2NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One of the most unusual and unconventional movies I've ever seen. I started to lose interest about half way through but when Jason Bateman couldn't actually tell Aniston about "the switch", that's when things picked up. You can see the ending from a mile away but it didn't stop me from enjoying the movie any.

5170uWhRf6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Who would have ever thought the best part of a movie that also stars Jack Nicholson would be Paul Rudd and Reese Witherspoon? I really wasn't that familiar with her up until her role as Loretta Lynn in Walk the Line so that's all I really have to base her acting abilities on. It's not like there's any Oscar winning performances here but you do think Nicholson could do better. It's not that his acting is bad but he really doesn't seem to bring much to his role and appears to be phoning it in for the most part. That probably shouldn't come as any surprise as he's been doing that for the most part for a while now. It's also worth noting that his role here is little more than a glorified cameo but you'd think he could have done more with his screen time. That aside, it's not a bad movie but it never really took off in a while that got me emotionally involved in any of the characters.

RIGHT?

Some of my personal faves of new & recent films:

Gran Torino

The King's Speech

The Apostle

Guitarra (History Of The Guitar In Spain w/Julian Bream)

Song Of The Guitar (Segovia)

John Williams (guitarist) In Spain

The Pianist

B)

We watched 'A Woman Under The Influence' last night with Peter Falk and Gena Rowlands.

I think it was an excellent portrayal of what many people go through in real life and how mental illness (and blood ties) affects family and friends.

The film was directed by John Cassavetes and I was astonished at the beautiful color since it was made in 1974 way before digital took over and how Hollywood now seems to avoid using true color anymore. Hollywood needs to get over itself and get back to basics.

Another great film by Cassavetes is 'Gloria', also with Gena Rowlands in the title role.

Playing catch up over the last several days:

51x9GMUjxEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Horrendous, avoid at all costs. They must have paid Harrison Ford extremely well to be in this one.

51PWYMW6PYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

While not as great as I'd been led to believe, it was still a good movie, just not as good as I was expecting.

61euyU4feZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I guess it says a lot about the state of Hollyweird when some of the movies I've enjoyed most recently have come out of Pixar Studios.

519Obbin3qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'd seen the first Without A Paddle and while it was nothing particularly special, I didn't think it was too bad for a good old mindless comedy. Turns out this new movie isn't exactly a sequel but is more like a remake and tremendously poorly done one at that. Another one to put in the "avoid at all costs" column. I think I've finally hit rock bottom with Redbox rentals.

519YANDKJ4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lots of stars in this one but that's about all it had going for it. Once I figured out what was going on, I realized it wasn't really worth the effort to figure out. It's not bad, I just never found it all that engaging.