A couple of Robert questions '89/90

PhxHorn

Just a couple of misc questions about Robert:

1. When The Who did their '89 reunion tour, they did a special televised performance of Tommy with a bunch of other artists sitting in--Billy Idol, Phil Collins, etc. Advertising for the event had also mentioned Robert Plant, but he didn't appear, much to my disappointment. Anyone know why not?

2. When I saw Robert at the Mesa Amphitheater in October 93, at the end of the night, his closing comment was, "I'll see you Tucson in February." But there was no such date. Was there another leg of the tour planned, but then canceled?

Answer to question #1: On July 4, 1989, the 'Tulsa World' newspaper (probably among many others) published a news item reporting Robert Plant was to play the part of Hawker in version of 'Tommy' to be performed in L.A. on Aug 24th. The August 10, 1989 issue of Rolling Stone reported the same, adding it was an all-star cast. For

some reason, he did not participate. The Boston Globe ran a favorable review of the concert on Aug 26th, and

it mentions Robert Plant, but I don't have this article so I don't know for certain if it explains why he was not involved. Perhaps his involvement was not as confirmed as the papers reported.

Answer to question #2: Did he really say that? For one thing, it's a very odd thing to tell a Tempe crowd he'll

see them in Tucson. I have never seen any evidence to suggest the tour was not going to end with two dates

in Mexico City on Jan 28 & 29 1994. No tour itinerary booklets, ticket announcements, etc. Nothing was put together. The way it was routed he would not have come thru Arizona getting to Mexico but he was free to do what he pleased after the tour ended.

However, a month after the Tempe concert he met with Jimmy twice while on tour in Boston to discuss the MTV Unledded project he had been offered. Ultimately, they entered Depot and RAK Studios in London in February,

so that project may have cancelled out any intention to return to Arizona. I show he attended a fifth round F.A. Cup match pitting Wolverhampton vs. Ipswich (1-1 tie) at Molineux on Feb 19th, so F.A. Cup matches may have

been another reason he "hurried home" instead of returning to AZ. Regardless, he was probably just pulling

everyone's leg...but it is odd for hiim to say...

Thinking.gif

I'm pretty sure he actually said that at the very end of the night. The crowd went nuts as thousands of people said "Whoo! I'll be there!" Tucson is a hundred miles south of Phoenix, which amounts to a 90-minute drive, and so it's not really unusual for people from Phoenix to see a show in Tucson or the other way around. I also remember that earlier in the show, he rattled off a bunch of AZ city names, along the lines of "Welcome Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix.....anyone from Flagstaff?" And Flagstaff is 140 miles north. So he has some awareness of AZ geography.

FWIW, Mesa Amphitheater is in Mesa AZ, several miles east of Tempe. All part of the Phoenix metropolitan area, a big sprawl.

On the '98 show (with Page), I remember that he dedicated a tune to a little bar in Carefree, which is at the very north edge of town and probably close to an hour from the concert venue by car.

Edited by PhxHorn

I'm pretty sure he actually said that at the very end of the night. The crowd went nuts as thousands of people said "Whoo! I'll be there!" Tucson is a hundred miles south of Phoenix, which amounts to a 90-minute drive, and so it's not really unusual for people from Phoenix to see a show in Tucson or the other way around. I also remember that earlier in the show, he rattled off a bunch of AZ city names, along the lines of "Welcome Mesa, Tempe, Scottsdale, Phoenix.....anyone from Flagstaff?" And Flagstaff is 140 miles north. So he has some awareness of AZ geography.

FWIW, Mesa Amphitheater is in Mesa AZ, several miles east of Tempe. All part of the Phoenix metropolitan area, a big sprawl.

On the '98 show (with Page), I remember that he dedicated a tune to a little bar in Carefree, which is at the very north edge of town and probably close to an hour from the concert venue by car.

I've been through AZ many times myself so I can see what you mean about it not being so out of the ordinary,

but still I find it unusual that he included a specific month, if in fact he did.

I have the '98 show on dvd but don't remember a reference to a little bar in Carefree. If anyone out there has it as well please confirm this and check to see if he provides the name of the bar.

As mentioned via PM the other day, I have an audience recording of the '93 Mesa gig but it's not within reach at the moment. I did annotate the setlist before I archived it, perhaps it will jog a few memories or help to clarify the one we've been discussing:

Robert Plant

October 19th 1993 Mesa, AZ USA Mesa Amphitheatre

Tall Cool One

Ramble On

29 Palms

I Believe

Thank You

If I Were A Carpenter

Going To California

Promised Land

In The Mood

Calling To You

What Is And What Should Never Be

----------1st Encore-----------

Ship Of Fools

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

----------2nd Encore-----------

Hurting Kind (I've Got My Eyes On You)

Whole Lotta Love

Note 1: Lyrical reference to 'I Will Be Your Sun' (song title unconfirmed) during 'In The Mood'.

Note 2: Lyrical reference to 'Love Me Two Times' & 'The Lemon Song' during 'Hurting Kind (I've Got My Eyes On You').

Edited by SteveAJones

At that time('89) there was speculation that Robert dropped out of the Who performance because Townshend made an unflattering comment about Zeppelin in a Who cover story in Rolling Stone. I'll try to find the direct quote but I believe the genre of Heavy Metal came up in the interview and Townshend, to paraphrase, said it became "that gross, disgusting object that was Led Zeppelin." Shortly after that interview was published (June 89'?) Robert dropped out of the Tommy performance. Rolling Stone even commented on Robert's dropping out a few issues later in their Random Notes section that it may have been due to Townshends comments. I'll try to post the original quote because I just found that issue in a box of my old magazines a week ago.

At that time('89) there was speculation that Robert dropped out of the Who performance because Townshend made an unflattering comment about Zeppelin in a Who cover story in Rolling Stone. I'll try to find the direct quote but I believe the genre of Heavy Metal came up in the interview and Townshend, to paraphrase, said it became "that gross, disgusting object that was Led Zeppelin." Shortly after that interview was published (June 89'?) Robert dropped out of the Tommy performance. Rolling Stone even commented on Robert's dropping out a few issues later in their Random Notes section that it may have been due to Townshends comments. I'll try to post the original quote because I just found that issue in a box of my old magazines a week ago.

Thanks for that, I vaguely remember a falling out between them but cannot remember if it was rumor or fact.

1. Yes, definitely Pete Townsend said Led Zeppelin was a "gross and disgusting object."

2. Also, I remember Robert was scheduled for another leg of 1993 but I don't remember ticket sales being too good.

I'm not certain if this was the reason for the cancellation???

Also, I remember Robert was scheduled for another leg of 1993 but I don't remember ticket sales being too good. I'm not certain if this was the reason for the cancellation???

The US tour ran thru Dec 1st, ending in New York, to allow everything to be shipped over to Europe for further

touring Dec 6th-23rd, followed by South American dates in Jan. All these dates were in place for several weeks. If you meant early '94 it sounds as if there may have been the possibility for doing so at one point. However,

I've never seen anything to support solo Plant dates anywhere in '94 - certainly no tickets were ever sold.

Perhaps you are thinking of Coverdale/Page, whose 45 date North American tour was postponed & ultimately

cancelled in part because of slow ticket sales.

• 10 years later...

Only eleven years later, I've located two sources for the Mesa '93 show.  Robert does indeed say "I'll see you in Tucson in February" just before leaving the stage after the last encore.  Maybe he was referring to something other than a gig?

^^Yeah, I'd been looking for a recording of that concert for years and was totally happy to finally find one a couple of years ago thanks to a kind person on this board.  At the end of W.L.L. he did say "I'll see you in Tucson in February". As far as what he meant, I would guess he's referring to a concert, I find it hard to believe he meant anything else, but who knows. What a great show the band played that night!