TOYOTA RECALLS 5.3 MILLION VEHICLES WORDLWIDE

The Rover

TOYOTA RECALLS 5.3 MILLION VEHICLES WORDLWIDE

According to CNN:

Toyota recall: What to do if your car's on the list

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, senior writerJanuary 28, 2010: 12:17 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The number of Toyotas being recalled now tops 5.3 million vehicles, some of them are among America's most popular cars. Here is what Toyota owners need to know as the carmaker scrambles to find a fix for the problem.

This specific recall affects:

2009-2010 RAV4

2009-2010 Corolla

2009-2010 Matrix models

2005-2010 Avalon

2010 Highlander

2007-2010 Tundra

2008-2010 Sequoia

Some 2007-2010 Camrys (only those with gas pedal assemblies made by a specific Toyota supplier; your dealer can check).

No Lexus or Scion models are involved.

Many years ago I was driving a station wagon, I do not remember the make, and the gas pedal stuck as I was accelerating, probably due to the floor mat. I tapped the brakes at first, but then decided that the best and quickest way to stop the acceleration, was to turn the key to the off position. (The key did not come out of the slot, but it did turn to the OFF position).

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/28/autos/toyota_recall_faq/

That's a whole lotta cars! ohmy.gif

I do applaud Toyota for recalling all those vehicles instead of doing nothing and letting the cars be sold out of a desire for profits. Of course Toyota won't just lose profits, but also their reputation has been dealt a blow. This should give Ford and GM a chance to fill the gap, and increase their sales figures.

As long as there are Ford and GM dealers left....many dealerships have closed or down-sized in smaller towns in Ontario...

The Ford plant in Talbotville near London will close within the next few years ..and that doesn't make me want to buy a Ford product...

As long as there are Ford and GM dealers left....many dealerships have closed or down-sized in smaller towns in Ontario...

The Ford plant in Talbotville near London will close within the next few years ..and that doesn't make me want to buy a Ford product...

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer in my post. I was talking about car sales in just the United States.

Out of curiosity, what is the reputation of Ford and GM outside the United States?

Hello Starbreaker:

I can only speak for myself.....I have driven a GM, Dodge and now have a KIA...I would still have my GM if not for it being destroyed in an accident caused by a distracted driver..I still mourn the loss of my Chevy...this year I am in the market for another car...however there has been a outrageous increase in insurance rate which to me is criminal!!!! :mad: so I'm delaying buying a car at this time....

When I first saw the Toyota story I wondered if cost cutting was one cause...today that issue was addressed on one of the morning shows..it featured the company's president who admitted there has been cost cutting and it was wrong (I'm paraphrasing). I didn't hear if it's the main cause for the current problem...but if you cut costs it will come back to haunt you which it has for Toyota...

Cost cutting was one of the major factors in the Walkerton water crisis in Ontario in 2001....not enough water inspectors...that has since changed...and so has the leader of the political party who was in power at that time..

Juliet :coffee:

That's a whole lotta cars! ohmy.gif

I do applaud Toyota for recalling all those vehicles instead of doing nothing and letting the cars be sold out of a desire for profits. Of course Toyota won't just lose profits, but also their reputation has been dealt a blow. This should give Ford and GM a chance to fill the gap, and increase their sales figures.

Save the applauds, this problem has been ongoing for some time, and many deaths have occurred. Toyota blamed the problem on "floormats" and many victims of this problem (who survived) were clear that the floormat was not the reason for the acceleration. Some even said they did not have floormats. I first saw this story on the news a couple of months ago. Three of my family members own Toyotas so i felt even more concern, plus i don't want to be in front of any runaway cars.

Experts say if this happens to you, put the car in neutral and put your foot on the brake with force (do not pump them).

Check the date on these reports (you will notice Toyota has tried to sweep the problem under the mat for too long): http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/03/toyota-acceleration-problem-is-still-unresolved/

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/RunawayToyotas/sudden-acceleration-toyota-cars-owners-rebel-accidents/story?id=8980479

Owners of Toyota Cars in Rebellion Over Series of Accidents Caused by Sudden Acceleration

ABC News Investigation Uncovers Reports of 16 Deaths, Over 200 Accidents; Toyota Owners Demand Answers

By BRIAN ROSS, JOSEPH RHEE, ANGELA M. HILL and MEGAN CHUCHMACH

Nov. 3, 2009

321 comments Refusing to accept the explanation of Toyota and the federal government, hundreds Toyota owners are in rebellion after a series of accidents caused by what they call "runaway cars."

Department of Transportation: underlying defect causes accelerators to stick.

More PhotosSafety analysts found an estimated 2000 cases in which owners of Toyota cars including Camry, Prius and Lexus, reported that their cars surged without warning up to speeds of 100 miles per hour.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE OF THE RUNAWAY TOYOTAS STORY.

Toyota says the incidents are caused by floor mats becoming stuck under gas pedals, but owners say that's not what happened to them.

Watch the full report tonight on 'World News with Charles Gibson' and 'Nightline'.

"I'm absolutely certain that in my situation, it was not the floor mats," Elizabeth James told ABC News. She was driving her Toyota Prius outside Denver, CO when she says it suddenly shot up to 90 miles an hour, even though her foot was on the brake and not the gas pedal.

"I kept going faster and faster," James said. "And all of a sudden… my foot was pressing on the brake super, super hard and I wasn't slowing down."

James and some other Toyota owners suspect the accidents have been caused by some kind of glitch in the electronic computer system used in Toyotas that controls the throttle.

Related

WATCH: What to Do if Your Car Accelerates Out of ControlWATCH: Are Toyota's Accelerators Safe?PHOTOS: Terror on the Roads: Runaway ToyotasToyota officials refused to talk with ABC News about the incidents, but posted a statement from executive Bob Daly on its website last night that said: "Some news reports suggest there may be other causes of unintended acceleration, speculating about electronic engine control systems, braking performance or electro-magnetic interference among other theories. There is no evidence to support these theories."

My old truck work truck got stuck in full throttle while driving to another site, i couldn't slow down so I shifted in first gear and stalled the engine. Than It took a good minute to slow the 10,000 lbs truck to a stop with no power brakes.

I found an apple stuck underneath the throttle lever on the carb.

Save the applauds, this problem has been ongoing for some time, and many deaths have occurred. Toyota blamed the problem on "floormats" and many victims of this problem (who survived) were clear that the floormat was not the reason for the acceleration. Some even said they did not have floormats. I first saw this story on the news a couple of months ago. Three of my family members own Toyotas so i felt even more concern, plus i don't want to be in front of any runaway cars.

Experts say if this happens to you, put the car in neutral and put your foot on the brake with force (do not pump them).

Check the date on these reports (you will notice Toyota has tried to sweep the problem under the mat for too long): http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/03/toyota-acceleration-problem-is-still-unresolved/

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/RunawayToyotas/sudden-acceleration-toyota-cars-owners-rebel-accidents/story?id=8980479

Owners of Toyota Cars in Rebellion Over Series of Accidents Caused by Sudden Acceleration

ABC News Investigation Uncovers Reports of 16 Deaths, Over 200 Accidents; Toyota Owners Demand Answers

By BRIAN ROSS, JOSEPH RHEE, ANGELA M. HILL and MEGAN CHUCHMACH

Nov. 3, 2009

321 comments Refusing to accept the explanation of Toyota and the federal government, hundreds Toyota owners are in rebellion after a series of accidents caused by what they call "runaway cars."

Department of Transportation: underlying defect causes accelerators to stick.

More PhotosSafety analysts found an estimated 2000 cases in which owners of Toyota cars including Camry, Prius and Lexus, reported that their cars surged without warning up to speeds of 100 miles per hour.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE OF THE RUNAWAY TOYOTAS STORY.

Toyota says the incidents are caused by floor mats becoming stuck under gas pedals, but owners say that's not what happened to them.

Watch the full report tonight on 'World News with Charles Gibson' and 'Nightline'.

"I'm absolutely certain that in my situation, it was not the floor mats," Elizabeth James told ABC News. She was driving her Toyota Prius outside Denver, CO when she says it suddenly shot up to 90 miles an hour, even though her foot was on the brake and not the gas pedal.

"I kept going faster and faster," James said. "And all of a sudden… my foot was pressing on the brake super, super hard and I wasn't slowing down."

James and some other Toyota owners suspect the accidents have been caused by some kind of glitch in the electronic computer system used in Toyotas that controls the throttle.

Related

WATCH: What to Do if Your Car Accelerates Out of ControlWATCH: Are Toyota's Accelerators Safe?PHOTOS: Terror on the Roads: Runaway ToyotasToyota officials refused to talk with ABC News about the incidents, but posted a statement from executive Bob Daly on its website last night that said: "Some news reports suggest there may be other causes of unintended acceleration, speculating about electronic engine control systems, braking performance or electro-magnetic interference among other theories. There is no evidence to support these theories."

Yep, one of these incidents happened in my county, out in Santee...A CHP officer, his wife, their daughter, and the wife's brother were all killed when the accelerator stuck in their rental Lexus and they just kept going until they hit a barrier at the end of the freeway (Route 125 comes to an end at the intersection of Mission Gorge Rd., and you can either turn left or right onto Mission Gorge, but there's nothing but a barrier and a whole lot of dirt straight ahead). They tried to blame that one on the floor mats, but I think that's a load of B.S. <_<

Obviously we'll never know in that case since the victims can't tell us what happened, but I can't believe Toyota wouldn't fess up until now in other cases where the owners insisted that it wasn't the floor mats. To my way of thinking, if you're Toyota, you should check for the worst-case scenario first before you write it off as crappy floormats, instead of the other way around. Over and above quality issues, that kind of nonchalance about safety and lack of reaction sure doesn't make me want to buy a Toyota.

(I don't know why they didn't turn off the engine or try the emergency brake in the Santee case...weird.)

Yep, one of these incidents happened in my county, out in Santee...A CHP officer, his wife, their daughter, and the wife's brother were all killed when the accelerator stuck in their rental Lexus and they just kept going until they hit a barrier at the end of the freeway (Route 125 comes to an end at the intersection of Mission Gorge Rd., and you can either turn left or right onto Mission Gorge, but there's nothing but a barrier and a whole lot of dirt straight ahead). They tried to blame that one on the floor mats, but I think that's a load of B.S. <_<

Obviously we'll never know in that case since the victims can't tell us what happened, but I can't believe Toyota wouldn't fess up until now in other cases where the owners insisted that it wasn't the floor mats. To my way of thinking, if you're Toyota, you should check for the worst-case scenario first before you write it off as crappy floormats, instead of the other way around. Over and above quality issues, that kind of nonchalance about safety and lack of reaction sure doesn't make me want to buy a Toyota.

(I don't know why they didn't turn off the engine or try the emergency brake in the Santee case...weird.)

I agree Toyota should have taken even one death caused by their product seriously. Greed is such a terrible trait in human beings. I hope people will stop buying Toyotas quite honestly.

I don't think the emergency brake made a difference, just like the brakes didn't work in stopping the acceleration. The key is to use the brakes in conjunction with putting the car in "neutral". I first heard of this report on ABC News a couple months ago and was on the phone with my parents right away telling them what to do if this ever happens.

Interesting i just found this article:

Toyota Denied Sudden Acceleration Problem For More Than 5 Years

November 06, 2009 9:00 AM

appears that Toyota has denied its sudden acceleration problem for more than 5 years. Toyota's recall for floor mat problems is not the end of the story and the company needs to do more to protect its customers and the motoring public.

In March 2004, the Center For Auto Safety reported about sudden acceleration problems in 2002-03 Toyota Camrys and Solaras and the 2002-03 Lexus ES 300.

WASHINGTON -- A relatively new technology, the electronic throttle, is a leading suspect in a wave of claims that some vehicles unexpectedly accelerate out of control. Government investigators are looking at 2002-03 Toyota Camrys and Solaras and Lexus ES 300s to determine if they are defective. More than a million cars are in service. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has begun a preliminary investigation of the latest claims. It is gathering about 37 complaints of sudden acceleration by owners of the Toyota and Lexus cars. The complaints include 30 reports of crashes. They involved injuries to five people; one of them was seriously hurt.

According to AutoSafety.org, by the year 2000, there had been more than 22,600 reported complaints of sudden acceleration.

More than five years ago, Toyota and NHTSA identified the electronic throttle as the most likely source of the sudden acceleration defect. However, Toyota continued -- and continues today -- to dismiss concerns about its throttle control system and has looked only at the floor mat issue.

Four years later -- in June 2008 -- the Detroit Free Press and the Motor Authority reported that Toyota had dismissed additional customer complaints that the popular Toyota Tacoma pickup truck had been experiencing the same sudden acceleration issue as other Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

Now, Toyota's Tacoma pickup is receiving complaints in the U.S. because of the same unintended acceleration defect.

A total of 432 customers have reported unintended or sudden acceleration [problems] in their vehicles, resulting in 51 crashes and 12 injuries. Toyota has responded by stating that its Tacoma is not defective and that many reports were "inspired by publicity," reports the Detroit Free Press.

In 2008 -- like in 2004 -- Toyota refused to take the sudden acceleration issue seriously. Instead of fixing the known problem in its vehicles, Toyota publicly accused its own customers of trying to cash in on Toyota's negative publicity.

By October 2009, Toyota was forced to finally acknowledge sudden acceleration problems in the following vehicles:

2007-2010 Toyota Camry

2005-2010 Toyota Avalon

2004-2009 Toyota Prius

2005-2010 Toyota Tacoma

2007-2010 Toyota Tundra

2007-2010 Lexus ES350

2006-2010 Lexus IS250

2006-2010 Lexus IS 350

In October 2009, Toyota Motor Corp. President Akio Toyoda, was forced to publicly apologize for the tragic death of an American family who were killed when their Toyota vehicle suddenly accelerated out of control. This tragedy was recorded by 911 as the passengers desperately tried to slow or stop their out of control Toyota vehicle.

As the Detroit Free Press reported:

TOKYO — Toyota’s president said it was “extremely regrettable” an American family died in a crash in which a floor mat in one of the Japanese automaker’s vehicles is suspected as the cause.

"Four precious lives have been lost," Toyota Motor Corp. President Akio Toyoda said Friday. "I offer my deepest condolences."

That crash killed California Highway Patrol Officer Mark Saylor, 45 — who was driving a Lexus, a Toyota luxury model — and three family members on State Route 125 outside San Diego.

The vehicle was traveling at more than 120 mph when it launched off an embankment, rolled several times and burst into flames.

Despite more than 5 years of documented sudden acceleration problems in Toyota and Lexus vehicles and the tragic death of a family of four caught on tape, Toyota still has refused to accept any responsibility or acknowledge any defect:

Toyoda said the company was still deciding what action it would take and did not acknowledge any vehicle problem during his appearance at the Japan National Press Club.

He apologized for any worries customers may have.

“I feel sorry that people who are driving Toyota and Lexus cars believing in their safety are now feeling uncertainties,” he said.

Toyota has ignored customer reports of the sudden acceleration problem for more than 5 years. Despite this growing safety concern, Toyota announced today, November 6, 2009, a third-quarter profit of nearly $250 million. In the last 90 days -- while its cars were running out of control -- Toyota made a profit of nearly $3 miller per day. Toyota also increased its sales projection to more than 7 million vehicles for this year.

Langdon & Emison is aware of more than 2100 reported instances of Toyota sudden acceleration. Instead of listening to its customers and fixing the extremely dangerous sudden acceleration problem -- a problem Toyota has known about for more than 5 years -- Toyota is raking in money and placing even more dangerous cars and trucks on American roads. Toyota needs to take these complaints seriously and fix the millions of dangerous vehicles on our streets and highways.

You can learn more by reading these previous reports on Toyota's sudden acceleration problem:

"Inaccurate and Misleading" Statements On Toyota Sudden Acceleration Problem

Toyota Sudden Acceleration: Case Is Not Closed

Safety Group Responds To Toyota On Sudden Acceleration Defect

Toyota Has More Troubles Than Just Sudden Acceleration

You can learn more and get updates about Toyota's dangerous sudden acceleration defect at our auto safety blog.

http://kansascity.injuryboard.com/automobile-accidents/toyota-denied-customer-complaints-on-sudden-acceleration-problem-for-more-than-5-years.aspx?googleid=274028

There was a feature on CTV News channel this am where the president of Toyota apologized and admitted the gas pedals are not the problem but the problem lies within the electronics..

I hope he apologizes in person to the Canadian company near Toronto who made those gas pedals....those staff must feel terrible...

There will be ripple effects in Ontario where there are two Toyota plants. Other industries and businesses will suffer the fall out now until the car problems are fixed and the pr people rebuild the image...

Juliet :(

Hello:

The continuing story...so now it is the gas pedals. New parts are being shipped with hopes of repairing the problem..I also heard there's going to be some type of reinforcement bar put it..Good Luck...

After my Chevy was rear ended I bought a used '87 Toyota Tercel hatchback...the radio only had am..there was this cute drink holder....it only lasted a couple of winters due to a carborater problem but it was just what I could afford and needed at the time

I wish the company the best....in the recovery process...

Juliet :wave:

Oh this just breaks my bleedin' Detroit heart. I would suggest you trade that Toyota in for a Ford immediately, but damn...the resale value on that used rice burner just dropped like a stone !

:beer:

If only this board had Rep points.....B)

...and people need an "expert" to tell them that if something like this happens,to put the car in Neutral and apply the brakes?...The fuck?:unsure:

In my world,that's called "common sense"

Toyota flow chart of blame.....

Floormat = Dumb lazy American drivers.

GasPedal sticking from debris = Dumb Americans driving through water, or letting fast food cups fly around the cab.

Gas Pedal sticking = Sub standard American manufacturers fault.

Dumping trash on American shores has finally caught up with them. Better not turn on that radio until we cross check those electronics. Be patient....this might take a while. :whistling:

I know there is a procedure when the gas pedal sticks but when you are on a four lane highway you can't just stop and/or pull over...it is also unsafe at night...and when you are in an unfamiliar area in bad weather..I hope a person has a cell phone and the number of a towing agency who can come and get them...

It's best to get any car that has any problem off the road asap....

• 3 months later...

Archived