RIP Ernie Harwell

ebk

I had the pleasure of meeting the man in person when I worked for the Texas Rangers back in 1986. And yes, he was as gracious in person as he was in the broadcast booth. Took the time to ask me questions and it was just like talking to an old relative you haven't seen for years. In fact, of all the people that I happen to encounter there, only Ernie and Phil "Scooter" Rizzuto were that way.

With the exception of Vin Scully, that's the last of the old broadcasters from the golden days of baseball.

Jose Feliciano will sing the National anthem at Ernie's tribute. That's only fitting. It was the Summer of '68 that sealed Ernie in Detroit's heart. Both newspapers were on strike, and the Tigers had a great team that Summer. The only way to really follow their exploits and Mclain's 31 wins was by listening to Ernie on the radio. His voice was everywhere that Summer. I was 8 then, and I went to sleep with Ernie under my pillow many times. The signal from WJR went forever....all the way to Boston and New York some nights when the am signal was bouncing off the lakes.

"Strike 3 !....and he stood there like the house by the side of the road and watched it go by"

"Dad....how does he know that guy was from Flint ?"

RIP Ernie. You will be missed.

Archived