What was old is new again

PZoso

Hello out there. I've just recently found this forum and have been enjoying browsing, so I thought it time to introduce myself. My name is Pam and I'm here in the heart of Texas. I've been a Zepplin fan since the mid 70's; but unfortunately I wasn't old enough - according to my parents - to have gone to any of their concerts slapface.gif (what a horribly deprived youth). Anyways, I grew up to the sounds of LZ blaring from albums and yes, even eight-tracks.

Many decades have passed and now I have the honor of initiating the youth of America (my three children - all girls, one first grader and two teens ) to this amazing music. Hence, what is old is new again as they discover songs for the first time. My own journey of discovery has taken me from a simple love of the music to a deep appreciation for the talent of all the members of the band and now on to a great respect and awe of the genius of Mr. Page.

I look forward to joining in some conversations and 'meeting' many of you here.

Pam

Hi PZoso-

Like you I grew up in the 70s and was not able to see Zep in those days. I always liked their music but was absolutely blown away when I first saw the DVD. You've got to show that to your children. I recently saw "The Song Remains the Same" in Chicago with my daughter. When it was over she turned to me and said, "You're right Mom, you can't compare anyone to Led Zeppelin."

Welcome to the forum PZoso. :wave:

I've tried to get my youngest, who is 24, into Zep but she is only mildly interested probably cuz Mom loves them so much. Her teen years were heavily influenced by N'sync. But she has moved from pop music . Her favorite now is The Used. I was watching TSRTS and she watched some of it with me. Most of her comments were about how Robert's jeans were so...um....revealing. :o:D

My other daughter , 29, loves classic rock and Zep would be on her list of others from the 70's. But she also likes reggae, jazz, and big band so she has a wide range of interest when it comes to music.

Welcome PZoso!

Happy Mothers Day as well ledzepfvr :wave:

My son , almost 30, I have tried for most all of those years and he does like LZ thank God, but if I am honest, I wore him out with my constant playing of the music. His favorite band is Pink Floyd. He also enjoys a variety of music and thankfully we both like a lot of the same! :D

cool.gif I think we ran Pam off !!! Sorry Pam, please come back!!! I won't let them do it again!!!! smile.gif

Oh, no no no, I often times have limited access to the internet. I am here! I'm in the country and the access is fair at best and then I have to share with my kids and husband. We can only get internet on one computer at a time. We recently moved here and haven't worked out everything we need to.

I have appreciated each of your responses and welcome. I wish to thank you all!

Black Dawg - I don't know how rich my history is, but the love of Zeppelin is certain. (By the way, my 7 year olds favorite is Black Dog; my 13 year old is taking up the guitar and the little one keeps asking her to play 'Black Dog' - I think it will be a while).

Janet - I showed TSRTS (I have an ancient VHS copy - and still remember the day I bought it bp.gif ) to my teen girls one night as part of their "rock and roll education" (long story, but it's something we do around here to educate the kids in things they don't teach in school). They were already fans, but that helped put it over the edge. My oldest had to hold a cigarette lighter (oh, I know, bad mother moment - playing with fire) flaming during Stairway (her favorite song for many years - she will get very upset if anyone talks during the solo). You said you saw it in Chicago - was that in a theater? Also, you mention the DVD - are you talking about TSRTS DVD or a different one?

ledzepfvr - It's funny you mention Robert's jeans in TSRTS. When I was watching it with my girls, I pointed out that when I was a teenager I loved seeing Robert in those jeans (yes, I was quite shallow when I was young; but I have since grown on my journey - as I stated above). I had to laugh because my girls just said "Mom" (you know, in the tone that is made especially for teenagers); I think they were embarrased that their mother would notice something like that and then have the nerve to mention it! LOL But now, I must admit, I prefer watching Page (for various reasons).

Deborah J - Yes, I understand the constant playing - I try my best not to overdo it with them (but it isn't easy). I also have the 2-disc DVD (that's just called Led Zeppelin DVD) and It Might Get Loud; but I'm trying to space things out for them. My favorite part of IMGL is when Page is playing Ramble On alone - the music is beautiful and his explaination of "whisper to the thunder"is priceless. I just wish it went on a bit longer. As far as other bands and types of music, Pink Floyd is also popular with my kids (and me too) but I get a bit of things like Lady Gaga thrown in there too. By the way, speaking of videos, can anyone point me to some decent youtubes from the O2 - there are so many, it's hard to seperate the good from the not so good (I couldn't call any 'bad' because I'm thankful for what I can get).

BonzoLikeDrummer - You made me laugh - I like that about you!

Interesting tidbit: Although I never got to see Zeppelin play, I did see Page in Dallas in the 80's. Although I'll never forget the show (Page with the bow, surrounded by laser light - WOW), it's afterwards that sticks in my mind. My husband used to be in the limo business at the time (no, he didn't drive anybody from the show, but he knew certain things) and after the show we went around back and saw a limo being loaded up with dogs (yes, that's right, dogs - some large breed is all I recall). Of coarse, we followed it. We ended up at a nice hotel in Dallas and walked right into a band party (no, Jimmy wasn't there, but everyone else was). Everyone was so nice and we stayed until the wee hours of the morning, at which point Mr. Page did finally show up. He made a B-line right for the elevators and although part of me felt awful about disturbing him, the other part got up and walked over. I got a lovely "hello" and "thank you" and a hand shake; he was very kind and warm to me and my husband - very much a gentleman. That was it - but I will never forget.

Thanks all for the warm welcome; and if you read all this, thank you for listening!

Pam

Hi Pam and all,

My sons, age 20 and 22, also like Led Zeppelin. But they have made me stop playing All Of My Love after hearing it played 10 times in a row while riding in the car, LOL. So I have burned them out on Led Zeppelin for the moment.

My youngest son is a great fan of John Paul Jones. He stated that one of the best times in his life was when we saw Them Crooked Vultures in Columbus last fall, and we were very close to JPJ on stage. (It was a great concert.) I am glad that I got to share that with him. I hope to take him to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland this summer, particularly to see JPJ's bass and jacket that he wore at the MSG concert shown on The Song Remains The Same video (the one with the silk ribbons quilted on it and the balls and hearts hanging off the sleeves) that they have on exhibit there.

Enjoy the forum. There are alot of very nice people here with alot of knowledge and expertise and love for Led Zeppelin. smile.gif

Hi Pam and Everyone!

Talk about coming full circle in life. Tomorrow will mark the first time I saw Led Zeppelin live in 1973 New Orleans. I am flying into New Orleans tomorrow, and my son has already been instructed that we are walking to what was the Municiple Auditorium, so I will be back in my original place 37 years later to the date and time!

Then he graduates from Tulane on Saturday and my present to him is to go see Randy Jackson(Zebra) perform "The Music Of Pink Floyd" at Mahalia Jackson Theater Saturday night right by the Municiple Auditorium.

My love for Led Zeppelin has centered around some of the best moments in my life and this is definetly the crowning moment in my life to share this with my son. :yesnod:

Hi Pam and Everyone!

Talk about coming full circle in life. Tomorrow will mark the first time I saw Led Zeppelin live in 1973 New Orleans. I am flying into New Orleans tomorrow, and my son has already been instructed that we are walking to what was the Municiple Auditorium, so I will be back in my original place 37 years later to the date and time!

Then he graduates from Tulane on Saturday and my present to him is to go see Randy Jackson(Zebra) perform "The Music Of Pink Floyd" at Mahalia Jackson Theater Saturday night right by the Municiple Auditorium.

My love for Led Zeppelin has centered around some of the best moments in my life and this is definetly the crowning moment in my life to share this with my son. :yesnod:

Congratulations to you and your son. I hope you enjoy the day and your LZ pilgrimage!

Welcome Pam.

I myself am 23 and have loved their music since I was about 16. There is nothing like it and there will never be anything like it again. Great stories from you. I wish I could meet Jimmy myself. What a moment that would be. What on Earth would I say? :blink:

Archived