Ray Charles' Hometown Erects Statue

Levee

2007-12-08 13:17:28

ALBANY, Ga. (AP) — Ray Charles is back in his hometown. Albany unveiled a revolving, lighted bronze statue of Charles on Friday in the middle of a new downtown plaza that bears the R&B legend's name.

Family members attended the musical ceremony honoring the city's most famous native son, born here in 1930.

"I can't tell you how overwhelming it is for me to experience the love that you have for my father," Sheila Raye Charles told the crowd of hundreds gathered at the $2 million plaza.

Charles was born in Albany but moved to Florida with his mother when he was young. He frequently returned to his hometown to visit family.

The singer died in 2004 at age 73. His version of "Georgia On My Mind" was made the official state song in 1979, 19 years after he recorded the chart-topping hit.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I bought a compilation recently (free actually with a gift card) and this is the song I wanted. I suspect if you were a hard core Ray Charles fan when this song was released you were none too pleased. This is the song that brought Ray to the mass (white) audience. The drumming is stunning.

Ray Charles - What I'd Say

Now for a question......does anybody know of or own this recording? Discuss??

414HN7PMHKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Now for a question......does anybody know of or own this recording? Discuss??

414HN7PMHKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I picked it up a few years ago after having it recommended to me for years. I think I've given it one spin. I honestly wasn't that taken with it and didn't see what all the fuss was about. Probably need to revisit it though.

I picked it up a few years ago after having it recommended to me for years. I think I've given it one spin. I honestly wasn't that taken with it and didn't see what all the fuss was about. Probably need to revisit it though.

I don't have the specific album but some of it appears on the Genius and Soul box set (highly recommended) I have.

I don't have the specific album but some of it appears on the Genius and Soul box set (highly recommended) I have.

And what do you think of those particular country and western songs? Similar to Jahfin, I've had heard all sorts of accolades heaped upon that LP and I was wondering if they are warranted.

Edited by JethroTull

2007-12-08 13:17:28

ALBANY, Ga. (AP) — Ray Charles is back in his hometown. Albany unveiled a revolving, lighted bronze statue of Charles on Friday in the middle of a new downtown plaza that bears the R&B legend's name.

Family members attended the musical ceremony honoring the city's most famous native son, born here in 1930.

"I can't tell you how overwhelming it is for me to experience the love that you have for my father," Sheila Raye Charles told the crowd of hundreds gathered at the $2 million plaza.

Charles was born in Albany but moved to Florida with his mother when he was young. He frequently returned to his hometown to visit family.

The singer died in 2004 at age 73. His version of "Georgia On My Mind" was made the official state song in 1979, 19 years after he recorded the chart-topping hit.

RIP

Ray Charles is always a fond memory. His soul comes shining through. We were so very blessed to have him with us. I am always thankful that he was here. He was a very fine singer and excellent on piano and keyboards. I'm very glad that I had a chance to see him in concert.

His musical arrangements had a solid rhythm and he was great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IQBKWdXnqU.

Edited by eternal light