Dancing Days At The Wembley Empire Pool '71?

I didn't know whether to put this in Steve's Zep Mysteries thread, or the Live thread, so I went with this Live thread. So, did Zep really try out Dancing Days live both nights of the Wembley Pool on those back to back November dates in 1971 (reference the Concert File book)? I'm just wondering, since there were no reports that they tried this again, after those dates (when they had 8 more UK dates on that tour after Wembley, all of Australia, two Europe warm updates, then the bulk of the summer US tour before trying it out in Seattle June 19, 1972).

The Concert File shows live recordings circulating for the first Wembley date only, which I haven't heard. So can anyone confirm? If so, does it sound like Dancing Days, as was recorded the following April 1972?

Maybe it was a rudimentary version, like a Since I've Been Loving You from January 1970, a Whole Lotta Love from Winterland, San Francisco in April 1969, or even an Immigrant Song from Bath a little more than 40 years ago?

Just seems strange that they would try it twice at Wembley, then not play it again until they recorded it, then bring it out late in the US Summer tour in June 1972.

I didn't know whether to put this in Steve's Zep Mysteries thread, or the Live thread, so I went with this Live thread. So, did Zep really try out Dancing Days live both nights of the Wembley Pool on those back to back November dates in 1971 (reference the Concert File book)? I'm just wondering, since there were no reports that they tried this again, after those dates (when they had 8 more UK dates on that tour after Wembley, all of Australia, two Europe warm updates, then the bulk of the summer US tour before trying it out in Seattle June 19, 1972).

The Concert File shows live recordings circulating for the first Wembley date only, which I haven't heard. So can anyone confirm? If so, does it sound like Dancing Days, as was recorded the following April 1972?

Maybe it was a rudimentary version, like a Since I've Been Loving You from January 1970, a Whole Lotta Love from Winterland, San Francisco in April 1969, or even an Immigrant Song from Bath a little more than 40 years ago?

Just seems strange that they would try it twice at Wembley, then not play it again until they recorded it, then bring it out late in the US Summer tour in June 1972.

I remember reading somewhere (maybe on here?) that the version of dancing days on certain releases was actually taken from one of the following years London shows (Ally pally). Even Dave Lewis was tripped up by the naughty bootleggers!

Im sure one of the uber uber freaks can confirm this, Underground uprising may shed more light.

I remember reading somewhere (maybe on here?) that the version of dancing days on certain releases was actually taken from one of the following years London shows (Ally pally). Even Dave Lewis was tripped up by the naughty bootleggers!

Im sure one of the uber uber freaks can confirm this, Underground uprising may shed more light.

I love Lewis's book but he says a lot of stuff in there I totally disagree with. He says the last STH solo they played in Berlin '80 was great. It's pathetic to hear. Probably Jimmy's worst one. He seems stoned, out of tune, and totally lost.

So far as I know there are no recordings from either of the two November 1971 gigs at Empire Pool in circulation.

If that is the case, I can't say with 100% certainty it was not performed but the evidence strongly suggests it wasn't.

It was performed at the two Alexandra Palace shows in December 1972.

So far as I know there are no recordings from either of the two November 1971 gigs at Empire Pool in circulation.

If that is the case, I can't say with 100% certainty it was not performed but the evidence strongly suggests it wasn't.

It was performed at the two Alexandra Palace shows in December 1972.

I have a version of the 20.11.71 show ('The Empire Strikes Back'). Dancing Days does not feature.

The earliest version I have is Seattle, 19.6.72. After the song, Plant says 'That's the first time we've ever done that.'

Archived