Wishbone Ash

Misfit

I've been a fan of Wishbone Ash since hearing Pilgrimage, all those years ago and saw the band live on numerous occasions during the 70s and 80s. Although they have produced some very listenable music since, I agree with you; Argus was probably their peak (for me).

RB

I've got...

Wishbone Ash

Pilgrimage

Argus

Wishbone IV

There's the rub

Locked In

I can't decide over the debut and Argus, both are pretty much flawless. There is some great material on Pilgrimage too. Wishbone IV is a step down, but There's the Rub is a fine return to form. I haven't listened to Locked In, but I've heard it's not very good apart from one song. Actually, while I'm thinking about it I'll put that CD in my car and give it a listen tomorrow.

Any recommendations for future purchases?

I've got...

Wishbone Ash

Pilgrimage

Argus

Wishbone IV

There's the rub

Locked In

I can't decide over the debut and Argus, both are pretty much flawless. There is some great material on Pilgrimage too. Wishbone IV is a step down, but There's the Rub is a fine return to form. I haven't listened to Locked In, but I've heard it's not very good apart from one song. Actually, while I'm thinking about it I'll put that CD in my car and give it a listen tomorrow.

Any recommendations for future purchases?

You need to get the albums ''New England'' and ''Just Testing''. They are 2 great albums IMO.

• 1 year later...

I was turned on to this album by a good friend (to this day) who I played music with for 5 years. (He and I are "twins" when it comes to musical taste). He was fortunate enough to have worked for his father at a record store they owned and operated in Chalmette (close to New Orleans). He would snag an album everyday to take home and listen to. This album "Argus" is a true masterpiece of a guitar album. He gave me this as a present on my birthday years ago. If you are a fan of great guitar work, it's one you should enjoy. I believe it's the closest resemblance to a Zep album that Wishbone ever did-relying on that mystical dungeons and dragons theme which was an occasional theme/reference in Zeppelin's catalog.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My favourite track is Phoenix, and my favourite album is their first closely followed by Argus

Ah, I'm glad to see someone dug this one up again, as things are getting dull around here. On the re-mastered Argus album there are a few bonus live tracks, one which includes a version of Phoenix. Killer stuff. I'd have to pick Argus over the first album because I really like the medieval sound they captured there. I don't think I've heard anything quite like that in a rock outfit before or since. ^ Above I posted my favorite tracks from that masterpiece.

Archived