Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
slave to zep

cleaning vinyl records

Recommended Posts

Went through my collection a couple days ago, here's what I did:

Got six gallons of distilled water, poured three in one sink, three in the other. Put exactly one drop of dish soap in one side.

Put record on paper towel, poured some isopropyl alcohol on top side and cleaned with a paint edger brush thoroughly. Going around the record about twelve times.

Repeat other side (paper towel soaks up excess alcohol). Dip in soap water first, then the clean water, very quickly as not to soak center label. Dry thoroughly with paper towels. 

Even the dirtiest records now play like new. I tried the wood glue method and was very disappointed. Not only does it take forever, the glue sometimes gets stuck in the grooves.

Edited by gibsonfan159
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Went through my collection a couple days ago, here's what I did:

Got six gallons of distilled water, poured three in one sink, three in the other. Put exactly one drop of dish soap in one side.

Put record on paper towel, poured some isopropyl alcohol on top side and cleaned with a paint edger brush thoroughly. Going around the record about twelve times.

Repeat other side (paper towel soaks up excess alcohol). Dip in soap water first, then the clean water, very quickly as not to soak center label. Dry thoroughly with paper towels. 

Even the dirtiest records now play like new. I tried the wood glue method and was very disappointed. Not only does it take forever, the glue sometimes gets stuck in the grooves.

good but NEVER use a paper towel, use a lint free cloth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kipper said:

good but NEVER use a paper towel, use a lint free cloth

Is it because of scratching or lint?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Is it because of scratching or lint?

Both, unbelievable that anyone would suggest using paper towel, no, no, no....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTM said:

Both, unbelievable that anyone would suggest using paper towel, no, no, no....

Eh, worked great for mine. I only used them for drying, not cleaning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Eh, worked great for mine. I only used them for drying, not cleaning.

papertowels are basically made out of scrap paper and rags they are full of lint and garbage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, kipper said:

papertowels are basically made out of scrap paper and rags they are full of lint and garbage

Noted, never thought about that. I'll just use them on my Tull records from now on lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Noted, never thought about that. I'll just use them on my Tull records from now on lol.

No not the prog-rock, use them on the punk rock;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't paper record sleeves garbage? Aren't they bad for your vinyls? Don't they scratch them more? Was thinking about replacing some of my albums with paper record sleeves with plastic record sleeves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...