Physical Graffiti Rehearsal tapes

georgio

Does anyone know who or how the Physical Graffiti rehearsal tapes were leaked, and / or stolen? Were these from Jimmy's studio - when he had the break-in circa the pre-Outrider recording?

Also, Plant's voice on some of the tracks are much higher (he's wailing away) than the final product...always thought that his voice must have truly given out after / during the recordings - any info welcome....

Does anyone know who or how the Physical Graffiti rehearsal tapes were leaked, and / or stolen?

Yes.

Were these from Jimmy's studio - when he had the break-in circa the pre-Outrider recording?

Some if not all. It wasn't a break in it was a violation of trust.

Also, Plant's voice on some of the tracks are much higher (he's wailing away) than the final product...always thought that his voice must have truly given out after / during the recordings - any info welcome....

Eight tracks on PG were recorded after Robert had surgery to remove nodes from his vocal cords following the 1973 North American tour.

Eight tracks on PG were recorded after Robert had surgery to remove nodes from his vocal cords following the 1973 North American tour.

It sounds to me that his operation happened midway between rehearsal and the final recording . Plant is clearly wailing at a much higher key for songs like Sick Again and In the Light in these rehearsals.

I've heard some of this, it was on something titled "Physically Present". Had a version of Kashmir that sounded like it was just Page and Bonham. In the Light sounded like the intro was on a piano that Mozart would play, and it also had an almost completely different set of lyrics. It was definately interesting, but as for who stole them or compromised them, I have no clue.

I've heard some of this, it was on something titled "Physically Present". Had a version of Kashmir that sounded like it was just Page and Bonham. In the Light sounded like the intro was on a piano that Mozart would play, and it also had an almost completely different set of lyrics. It was definately interesting, but as for who stole them or compromised them, I have no clue.

You mean this CD?

physicallypresentfwy3th.jpg

http://www.zeppelina...se+of+elrond%29

It is around.

Physically Present

01 Custard Pie

02 The Rover (acoustic and electric rehearsal)

03 In My Time Of Dying (rehearsal outtake)

04 Trampled Underfoot

05 Kashmir (acoustic final take)

06 In The Light (alternate version)

07 Bron-Yr-Aur (alternate version)

08 Down By The Seaside (acoustic rehearsal)

09 Ten Years Gone (acoustic overdubs)

10 Night Flight (alternate version rehearsals)

11 The Wanton Song (rehearsal/soundcheck)

12 Swan Song (take 1)

13 Swan Song (take 2)

14 Sick Again (outtake)

Legend has it there are two "lost" songs from the Physical Graffiti sessions, Lost in Space and St. Tristan's Sword.

You mean this CD?

physicallypresentfwy3th.jpg

http://www.zeppelina...se+of+elrond%29

It is around.

Physically Present

01 Custard Pie

02 The Rover (acoustic and electric rehearsal)

03 In My Time Of Dying (rehearsal outtake)

04 Trampled Underfoot

05 Kashmir (acoustic final take)

06 In The Light (alternate version)

07 Bron-Yr-Aur (alternate version)

08 Down By The Seaside (acoustic rehearsal)

09 Ten Years Gone (acoustic overdubs)

10 Night Flight (alternate version rehearsals)

11 The Wanton Song (rehearsal/soundcheck)

12 Swan Song (take 1)

13 Swan Song (take 2)

14 Sick Again (outtake)

Legend has it there are two "lost" songs from the Physical Graffiti sessions, Lost in Space and St. Tristan's Sword.

This is one arrangement of tracks. Almost but not quite complete unless they compiled the tracks / versions under each name...

It sounds to me that his operation happened midway between rehearsal and the final recording . Plant is clearly wailing at a much higher key for songs like Sick Again and In the Light in these rehearsals.

I still sometimes think, he should have never had that surgery! His nodules were probably not large enough to not heal by themselves and his voice would remain exactly the same. Maybe the doctor didn't evaluate the situation well enough, or he actually played with Robert's trust and decided to mess him up on purpose!

I don't know if any of this stuff is true ofcourse, but I know this things sometimes heal by themselves, so I think there was no need for hurrying!

Wikipedia:

Treatment, or voice rehabilitation, usually involves vocal training, speech therapy, and, occasionally, vocal rest. In rare cases, surgery may be required. Removal of vocal cord nodules is a relatively safe and minor surgery. However, those who sing professionally or otherwise should take serious consideration before having surgery. While the patient is subdued under general anesthesia, long thin scissors and knives are used to remove the nodules, or CO2 surgical lasers might be used which are very effective in such cases. The best preventive steps seem to be wrapped up in the study of vocology, the science and practice of voice habilitation.

Symptoms of vocal nodules include vocal fatigue and hoarseness or breathiness. Hoarseness or breathiness that lasts for more than two weeks may signal a voice disorder and should be followed up with an appointment with an Otorhinolaryngologist.

Archived