Don’t Call Me, I Won’t Call You

Jahfin

By PAMELA PAUL

CULTURAL-articleInline.jpg

NOBODY calls me anymore — and that’s just fine. With the exception of immediate family members, who mostly phone to discuss medical symptoms and arrange child care, and the Roundabout Theater fund-raising team, which takes a diabolical delight in phoning me every few weeks at precisely the moment I am tucking in my children, people just don’t call.

It’s at the point where when the phone does ring — and it’s not my mom, dad, husband or baby sitter — my first thought is: “What’s happened? What’s wrong?” My second thought is: “Isn’t it weird to just call like that? Out of the blue? With no e-mailed warning?”

I don’t think it’s just me. Sure, teenagers gave up the phone call eons ago. But I’m a long way away from my teenage years, back when the key rite of passage was getting a phone in your bedroom or (cue Molly Ringwald gasp) a line of your own.

In the last five years, full-fledged adults have seemingly given up the telephone — land line, mobile, voice mail and all. According to Nielsen Media, even on cellphones, voice spending has been trending downward, with text spending expected to surpass it within three years.

To read the rest of the article click here.

We barely use our landline, but since our cable, internet, and landline service is all bundled into one package, we can't drop it. We have no family living out of state that we want anything to do with, so there's no reason to have it for cheap long distance. I have a cell phone, but I barely use that, myself. I text every once in a while, but for the most part, if someone wants to get in touch with me about something they'll just email me. If you call me, it might take weeks before I even bother checking my phone to see if I've missed any calls.

I don't do idle chatter, and talking on the phone is difficult for me because if I don't have anything to say, I'll just sit there and we'll both listen to dead air. With email, I can say what I want/need to say, hit send, and be done with it.

"What we have here is, a failure to communicate!

You got that right ! I knew there was going to be a big problem after I saw my first internet cafe :D

Archived