What happened to Page/Plant 95-98 era?

There's this info on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_and_Plant

...the Page/Plant reunion slowly dissolved, with both members going on to perform with other side projects. As Page explained:

There could have been a follow-up [to Walking into Clarksdale]. I certainly had about a dozen numbers written for a third album. Robert heard them and said that some of them were really good, but he just wanted to go in another direction. That's fair enough.

In an interview he gave to Uncut magazine in 2005 Plant recounted:

We had some good songs [on Walking into Clarksdale], but I wasn't sure about the production. I felt kind of marooned. We were still surrounded by the protective shield of who we were, and it meant we were playing big arenas around the world. And I realised once again there had to be another way... I knew I had to get back to playing clubs and remember what pulse was all about. To say goodbye to those large arenas that I played with Jimmy was a very purposeful move.

I saw them in 95 and 98 and I am sure a lot of you saw them also in those years. Why did they quit? Was there a falling out between them or did Robert just become bored?

Page answered in interviews that he thought the duo was permanent.

Plant bailed out and didn't want to do it anymore. (One of Robert's parents passed away during the recording of Clarksdale - don't know if that had any influence on his decision)

Page answered in interviews that he thought the duo was permanent.

Plant bailed out and didn't want to do it anymore. (One of Robert's parents passed away during the recording of Clarksdale - don't know if that had any influence on his decision)

It's true Robert's mother passed away in Autumn '97 and that lead to a short break in the recording sessions but he's never attributed that loss with wanting to leave Page/Plant. However, he has said he had an epiphany during the Paris Amnesty International Concert (Dec 10, 1998) (an arena show with Sting, et al) akin to the one he had onstage during Live Aid (when

he had asked himself "Should I be doing this?") ultimately leading him to conclude he didn't want to do it anymore. To this day I remember when Jimmy was pressing him about returning to the fold and Robert said to him "There are only so many springtimes". It went back and forth like that until August '99 when Jimmy turned his attention to participating in the Net Aid

concert.

It's true Robert's mother passed away in Autumn '97 and that lead to a short break in the recording sessions but he's never attributed that loss with wanting to leave Page/Plant. However, he has said he had an epiphany during the Paris Amnesty International Concert (Dec 10, 1998) (an arena show with Sting, et al) akin to the one he had onstage during Live Aid (when

he had asked himself "Should I be doing this?") ultimately leading him to conclude he didn't want to do it anymore. To this day I remember when Jimmy was pressing him about returning to the fold and Robert said to him "There are only so many springtimes". It went back and forth like that until August '99 when Jimmy turned his attention to participating in the Net Aid

concert.

I really feel bad for Jimmy, he really wants to play with Robert (as Zep or not). I'm not saying I hate Plant for it, I just have sympathy for the man.

Archived