Designer Terry de Havilland - Terry's Tales

• Administrators

Terry's Tales

LEGENDARY footwear designer Terry de Havilland leads a slightly less tame life today than he used to in he Seventies, but he's partaken in more a few one rock 'n' roll moments in his lengthy career - which this year hit the 50 year mark.

"Led Zeppelin's management company used to be right round the corner from me in the Seventies, and me and the band all used to go to the pub together," de Havilland told us. "I got quite friendly with Bonzo [the band's late drummer], and one year we were all in New York at the same time. I was doing a show out there, and they had just finished a tour, so we all met up in the hotel. Bonzo wasn't in a good way, and started throwing pool balls out the window. I calmed him down, by giving him a lot of brandy.

Anyway, I was doing my NY show the next day, and I'm not sure what happened - but when I woke up I was at Heathrow airport. I used to carry my passport on me all the time at that point, but I still don't remember what happened. My team had to do the show without me."

http://www.vogue.co....ion-anniversary

There were three tour-ending shows in New York:

May 31, 1969

Fillmore East

September 19, 1970

Madison Square Garden

July 29, 1973

Madison Square Garden

I show they returned to London the very next day in '69 & '73...unsure about '70. Will attempt to confirm if Havilland had a show scheduled for the day after any of these concert dates.

Was his show apart of the New York Fashion Week? Did the NY Fashion Week exist back then? If it did and he was a part of it then it had to have been in 1970. It usually takes place in September and early Spring.

I haven't had an opportunity yet to dig thru the New York Times online archives towards a possible confirmation.

I haven't had an opportunity yet to dig thru the New York Times online archives towards a possible confirmation.

FYI: It might have been called Press Week. That is what it was called when it was introduced in the 1943. I don't know when the name changed.

If de Havilland's recollection is correct - it happened the day after a tour-ending show in New York - it couldn't have been '75.

True Steve...but we all know how faulty a lot of people's memories of the 60's and 70's can be, don't we? :whistling:

I remember reading someone's memoirs and coming across a story about how they saw Zeppelin on their 1976 tour.

Archived