Alternative medicine and therapies

bouillon

My in-laws neighbor, who is the GREATEST mother, swears by the ear candles. I have never had it done to me, but I may be trying it soon as water keeps getting trapped in my ears after swimming in the pool.

BTW, chronic ear infections are also the number one cause of speech and language disorders/disabilities in children.

Yeah my friend's son (who is 7)has had so many problems with his ears it is heartbreaking. Ear candles were suggested to her but they weren't suitable for him.

Where did I say they were all charlatans? All I said is that they have a profit motive just like everyone else. I personally would much rather deal with a real medical doctor than a "therapist" for my own health concerns.

To each their own I suppose. But if you want the best care be prepared to pay for it is what I believe. And anyone who doesn't see insurance companies trying to steer people toward less expensive remedies is blind. The insurance companies have the highest profit motive, the real charlatans. But still, and good doctor with MANY years of education and experience will be your best solution in most cases.

This could easily become a discussion like religion I suppose. Beliefs are strong both ways. Mine tend to lean toward science and established success with highly skilled professionals and not someone with an "operators licenses"about the same as a barber or hair stylist.

Cheers

I'm not blind - I just don't see that with insurance companies, as we have a free health service in the UK - so it isn't an issue.

I think perhaps you are mis-informed about therapists. Many are actually educated to degree level. What you would do as a client is check out their qualifications the same as in any situation. I personally would never see a therapist who was uninsured, and to get insurance for practising treatments here in the UK you need to have appropriate qualifications to a high level. Perhaps that is different in the US and that is part of the basic disagreement here.

Edited by Knebby

But still, and good doctor with MANY years of education and experience will be your best solution in most cases.

True.

I have spent the past 10 years living 100 miles away from my hometown, but for all that time I've kept my old doctor, who is totally on the money, every time. As a consequence, I got to have my spine op in my hometown hospital, which is one of the best in the country. Judging by the appalling medical treatment I've seen my kids having up here - mostly from doctors who can barely speak the language - I'm very pleased with my decision to stay with my southern doctor, despite the inconvenience it sometimes causes.

I don't know why, but the further north you go in the UK, the worse most things seem to get. IMO.

Well I'm pleased with all this genuine concern about people's ears. I suppose the jury is out on ear candles, Hopi or otherwise. But it does seem a pretty fucked up thing to be doing to your ears, IMO.

My ears are fine, wax-wise. After the last time I needed to have them syringed - about 10 years ago - I started using olive oil, but that got messy, so instead I now soak my ears under the water-level whenever I have a bath, then gently twiddle a Q-tip around to clear out most of the softened wax. I do this until the tips are practically clean. Usually takes about 4 tips per ear. I have no idea whether this is damaging my ears, but I'd rather do that than have some unscrupulous, money-grabbing quack burn a candle in my ear.

Anyway, for me it's all academic, because my ears have been totally blown since a Motorhead gig in 1978 when I spent the whole set right in front of Lemmy's bass bin, just for a laugh. The damage is done, and cannot be undone. Not even with ear candles.

Bouillon please dont take offence with me but NEVER let your ears go below the water level whilst in a bath, with all that empty space between your ears there is a chance you will end up with your brain swimming in dirty bath water. :o:lol:

Sorry. :blush:

Doctors are using alternative medicens a lot more than they used to, my son was sent for acupuncture for some ailment, and i myself have studied aromatheraph. You will find many medicines are pure forms of chemicals used in aromatherapy, Asprin for example is derived from Willow Bark something that the Ancients used in a Smoke House to aleviate many ailments.

Essential Oils from Trees are very good for Chest Complaints whilst Oils from Flowers by their smell alone can bring you joy and so increase your ability to combat disease, Patchouli that old Hippy perfume alone has brightened up my day so much that it has changed my personality for the day and it keeps away evil spirits like whiskey and gin.

Aromatherapy can be a good way to get in to the alternatives as you wont do any harm whilst you will at least get some pleasure from the exciting baths you can take and you can mix and match the oils for your own perfume and potpourris were used in ancient times to keep away airborne diseases and insects, and flies dont like lavender.

Kind Regards, Danny

And what about the Verrucas?

FTFY.

They are gone, thank you. I persisted with the Bazuka gel, which hardens, dries them and gradually pulls them out. Had to use the pliers on a couple of them, though. Total bloodbath.

So then: you care enough to ask about my verrucas, but not my spine condition. Thanks a bunch. Aren't you even vaguely curious as to whether I'm typing all of this via a stick attached to my chin?

Going around constantly correcting people's spelling and grammar makes you look pretentious. Unless your last name is either Strunk or White, no one cares. I have a bugaboo about spelling as well, but I don't correct people like a schoolmarm. I just ignore it and respond to whatever it was they were saying.

When it comes to your health I figure some topics are more private. The verrucas seemed less intrusive - though the bloodbath suggests they were pretty intrusive after all. I couldn't have gone the pliers route, too squeamish. Sorry about the spelling - it's a word that always foxes me. I have a few words like that:)

So if you want to share any information about your spinal condition I'm sure many would be interested. I know I would.

(BTW, having seen his rider, I can confirm that RP regularly asks for a Deep Tissue Massage therapist at his gigs.)

Edited by Knebby

When it comes to your health I figure some topics are more private. The verrucas seemed less intrusive - though the bloodbath suggests they were pretty intrusive after all. I couldn't have gone the pliers route, too squeamish. Sorry about the spelling - it's a word that always foxes me. I have a few words like that:)

So if you want to share any information about your spinal condition I'm sure many would be interested. I know I would.

Knebby, you should never PULL out anything that is attached as you will always leave some of it still in there. Verrucas need to be burnt out with an acid like in Bazuka, and heres an interesting conversation.

http://www.swimclub.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-7646.html

Kind Regards, Danny

Knebby, you should never PULL out anything that is attached as you will always leave some of it still in there. Verrucas need to be burnt out with an acid like in Bazuka, and heres an interesting conversation.

http://www.swimclub....php/t-7646.html

Kind Regards, Danny

Ah, but if there's a bloodbath when you pull them out (and it was only the last stubborn part), that usually means you've nailed the little bastards. They didn't come back, that's for sure.

Ah, but if there's a bloodbath when you pull them out (and it was only the last stubborn part), that usually means you've nailed the little bastards. They didn't come back, that's for sure.

Dont be fooled by the blood Bouillon, the blood will take particles all around the body, thats also a way of spreading cancer cells, no never encourage bleeding around a viral infection like a Verruca, check for genital warts right now mate i'm sure they will be there. :o:lol:

Kind Regards, Danny

(BTW, having seen his rider, I can confirm that RP regularly asks for a Deep Tissue Massage therapist at his gigs.)

The symptoms were numb fingers, toes and 'other extremities', twitching fingers, loss of leg control (so that when I was walking along, I sometimes used to goose-step involuntarily, or get my feet tangled up when trying to scuttle across the road), warm patches on my back, etc. Apparently, the next step would have been incontinence.

The cause was congenital narrowing of the spinal cavity in three of my cervical vertebrae, so that there was no spinal fluid lubricating that section of my spinal cord, which meant the cord was rubbing against the bone, hence the symptoms. The surgeon said that without the op, which had a 10% risk of paralysis and only a 60% chance of total success, I would be in a wheelchair within 5 years, and in the meantime, any sudden impact (eg whiplash, or extreme chiropractic manipulation) could snap my spinal cord.

The op, which was successful, was called laminoplasty, which involves cutting a segment out of each affected vertebra, putting some kind of spacers in, and putting the shaved segments back, thus widening the canal and allowing the fluid to circulate.

Going around constantly correcting people's spelling and grammar makes you look pretentious. Unless your last name is either Strunk or White, no one cares. I have a bugaboo about spelling as well, but I don't correct people like a schoolmarm. I just ignore it and respond to whatever it was they were saying.

Who the hell are Strunk or White? I am bouillon - that's all you need to know.

I don't see anybody else complaining. Everyone had the chance to opt-out. Few chose to take it, and the offer has now lapsed.

That sounds very complex, I expect it was quite a long operation? I was reading recently about new developments which would involve injecting a spongy substance between vertebrae to address a number of back problems - I doubt it would have been an answer for your condition, of course, but what a pity an injectable answer wasn't available to you as I'm sure it would have been a lot simpler. Medical advances will get us there one day. Still, I expect you are just glad that the op was a success. You're very lucky there. Sorry that you were unlucky enough to suffer in the first place.

I think it was 4 or 5 hours.

Maybe they will have something new in place by the time I need my next one - my scans showed a similar issue further down, but that one hasn't reached critical mass yet, and might never. But I can't see how they could find a way to create space without taking me apart again.

That sounds very complex, I expect it was quite a long operation? I was reading recently about new developments which would involve injecting a spongy substance between vertebrae to address a number of back problems - I doubt it would have been an answer for your condition, of course, but what a pity an injectable answer wasn't available to you as I'm sure it would have been a lot simpler. Medical advances will get us there one day. Still, I expect you are just glad that the op was a success. You're very lucky there. Sorry that you were unlucky enough to suffer in the first place.

They are using spacers now along with instrumentaion. Screws and rods. To stabalize the spine. Cages are dying out. A Myelogram would be performed to get the best picture possible of the condition. An MRI but better. Injecting a contrast dye substance into the lower spine and they can tilt your body while on X ray to see your condition. Bone fusions work very well. Now they use bone from a bone bank rather than chip it off of your hip. It is "live bone" and they will use an electronic device for about six months to speed the fusion.

They are using spacers now along with instrumentaion. Screws and rods. To stabalize the spine. Cages are dying out. A Myelogram would be performed to get the best picture possible of the condition. An MRI but better. Injecting a contrast dye substance into the lower spine and they can tilt your body while on X ray to see your condition. Bone fusions work very well. Now they use bone from a bone bank rather than chip it off of your hip. It is "live bone" and they will use an electronic device for about six months to speed the fusion.

I had a Myelogram, and was the most god awful test I have ever undergone. I had a spinal tumor at my T12/L1 section and had to have a laminectomy to have it removed as well as radiation for 6 weeks afterward. It that case I had no alternative choice but to go through with it if I wanted to walk and there are other conditions that warrent surgery and medication.

But some conditions can be treated through homeopathic remedies. But to find a good physician that uses those remedies is the trick and they should always do up blood panels and tests to check out what your levels are at. There was a co-worker who underwent a transformation under a good homeopathy regimin. I beleive in suppliments as our bodies cannot sufficiently absorb vitamins and minerals properly with most of todays diets, and deficiencies are what cause alot of degenerative diseases.

I used to go to a chiropractor when I was younger but wouldn't go now due to my previous issue, but I do have regular deep tissue massages. Wonderful therapy.

I used to go to a chiropractor when I was younger but wouldn't go now due to my previous issue, but I do have regular deep tissue massages. Wonderful therapy.

What is a 'deep tissue massage', and how does it differ from a regular massage?

I see Knebby says RP likes them, too. I have always been a bit skeptical about massage. Sure, you feel great for the rest of the day, but once all the stresses & strains of life set back in, you might as well not have bothered.

I have to say I've never had a spectacular massage in this country, but in Thailand it's a different matter. Those ladies sure know what they're doing - and no, I'm NOT talking about dirty massages, or Happy Endings - go wash your minds out, you dirty birdies. I've had quite a few 'legit' massages over there, and most times I've fallen asleep, only to wake up and feel like a teenager again. But the one thing I always find curious is that my jaw never seems to fit properly afterwards. It's like someone's taken my lower teeth out, and replaced them with someone else's. Of course, it always goes back to normal later, but it's weird...does anyone else get this? And what's the explanation?

My issue is that a therapist is NOT a Doctor. Just as an airline stewardess is not a pilot.

I like that.

Knebby also said that therapists are often educated to degree standard. That may be the case, but unfortunately most of them probably have degrees in Media Studies.

I like that.

Knebby also said that therapists are often educated to degree standard. That may be the case, but unfortunately most of them probably have degrees in Media Studies.

Untrue, but I am perfectly aware what you two are up to so it is pointless to take this to a back-and-forth.

Deep tissue massage - look it up.

Anyway, for me it's all academic, because my ears have been totally blown since a Motorhead gig in 1978 when I spent the whole set right in front of Lemmy's bass bin, just for a laugh. The damage is done, and cannot be undone. Not even with ear candles.

Sounds like Lemmy owes you a hearing aid. Seems the least he could do!!!;)

post-17730-0-02637400-1311683040_thumb.j

Untrue, but I am perfectly aware what you two are up to so it is pointless to take this to a back-and-forth.

Deep tissue massage - look it up.

Que?

I can't speak for Brad, but I'm not 'up to' anything - what are you referring to? It's disappointing that, after last night's ostensibly civil exchanges, you've reverted to your usual MO of off-the-wall accusations. I even thought we might finally have 'bonded' to a degree. Obviously not.

I've reviewed all my posts here, and I can't see anything that could reasonably be construed as being 'up to' something.

Oh, and I've looked up deep tissue massage, thank you.

Sounds like Lemmy owes you a hearing aid. Seems the least he could do!!!;)

He actually owes me two - one for the right ear he took out in 78, and another for the left that was demolished about 10 years ago, when I was foolish enough to go and see them again :D.

Then again: 'If it's too loud, you're too old' - © Ted Nugent, 1975.

What is a 'deep tissue massage',

It goes deeper that a SKIN massage. :slapface::rolleyes:

I've had quite a few 'legit' massages over there, and most times I've fallen asleep, only to wake up and feel like a teenager again.

I remember Gary Glitter feeling like that, watch what you say and how you say it, we might get the wrong impression of you and you dont deserve that do you?

Kind Regards, Danny

It goes deeper that a SKIN massage. :slapface::rolleyes:

I remember Gary Glitter feeling like that, watch what you say and how you say it, we might get the wrong impression of you and you dont deserve that do you?

Kind Regards, Danny

Good point there, Danny boy. And no, I don't deserve that, not totally anyway B).

I should perhaps also clarify my point about having had several 'legit' massages over there. This could be taken to mean I'd had lots of iffy ones, too. But I haven't, not even one :boohoo: