Jimmy's Book Now Available At The British Library

kenog

Back in April/May on the News Forum, I started a thread telling you about my attempts to get a copy of Jimmy's book put into the British Library in London. I had also related that I wanted the rest of Genesis' Publications back catalogue deposited. I am now able to advise that Genesis have finally deposited Jimmy's book and many others, bringing the total of Genesis Publication's books held at the BL up to33. (Previously, there had only been 6 Genesis Publications books held there). The books have gone through the cataloguing process, so if you are interested, check out the publisher's index on the British Library's website.

The British Library is in central London. The website gives details of any i.d. which you would need to bring along.

I should like to thank the fantastic Andrew Davis of the British Library, who did all the hard work in bringing this to fruition. It took eight months from the time when I first contacted Andrew.

As ever, I have copied below the last emails between Andrew and myself. You will note that I asked him if it would be possible to get the book sent to readers via an inter-library loan, so that it could be sent to our members at their local library, whether in the UK or abroad. Unfortunately, you will see he replies 'no chance!'

Sent: 08 June 2011 18:11

To: Davis, Andrew

Subject: Re: Genesis Publications - other items in their back catalogue

Andrew,

I checked the British Library catalogue and found that the Jimmy Page title has been indexed. Many thanks for your help in acquiring the book. I have a couple of questions. Firstly, is there any sign of Genesis Publications having fulfilled their promise of forwarding the rest of their titles? Secondly, does the British Library operate an inter-library reference loan service, perhaps with the other deposit libraries in the UK? If it does, do you think they would send on such a heavy, expensive book as the Jimmy Page one, with the borrower paying the p&p? It is just a thought before I make my way down to London. Again, thanks for all you help and patience. xyz.

Fri, 10 June, 2011 8:40:24 RE: Genesis Publications - other items in their back catalogue

To:xyz<xyz@yahoo.co.uk

Dear xyz,

Q1 - Genesis have now supplied copies of all but 7 or 8 of the titles available to them.

Q2 - No chance, sorry! Legal Deposit content does not leave the premises of the deposit library.

Do speak with our Reading Rooms prior to your visit to ensure the books you wish to consult will be available to you.

Kind regards

Andrew

Kenog, this is terrific! Congrats on a job well done!

Thank you for your efforts to make Jimmy's book more accessible to the general public. To know that it is on file at the British Library makes me very, very VERY happy and proud...

While I live across the pond and will not share in the benefit, the people of England should have access to Jimmy's own chronicle of one of the country's greatest exports, Led Zeppelin. Glad to hear they will now, thanks to YOU, the folks at Genesis and the BL.:thumbsup:

Kenog, this is terrific! Congrats on a job well done!

Thank you for your efforts to make Jimmy's book more accessible to the general public. To know that it is on file at the British Library makes me very, very VERY happy and proud...

While I live across the pond and will not share in the benefit, the people of England should have access to Jimmy's own chronicle of one of the country's greatest exports, Led Zeppelin. Glad to hear they will now, thanks to YOU, the folks at Genesis and the BL.:thumbsup:

Hi 'SinceIveBeenLovingU' :D

Thank you so much for your kind words. I had thought long and hard about how to make the book available to our many friends over the pond, and the best I could come up with was the idea of the reader paying the postage and packaging, and having the book sent to their local library on a reference only basis. As I have said in my opening post, the BL are not able to do that.

However, I have been looking at Genesis' catalogue, and there are a couple of books which are forthcoming - Bowie and Jim Capaldi. What I shall do is get my contact at the BL to let Genesis know that they will be required to deposit a copy of these. I think both volumes would be of interest to many who come online here.:wave:

This is a very good service, indeed. The Toronto Public Library system does not have any copies :Thinking: Hopefully this will change (and those whose local libraries may close because of Mayor Ford's slash-and-burn 'trim the fat' budget cuts will have to make alternate arrangements. But I digress...off to the Canada thread, then...)

Yes. Great job, Kenog.

R B)

Thanks Reids.:D If even one member here accesses the book - I'll be happy. I was never pleased about the book's price being outwith the wallet/pocketbook of so many long-term, die-hard fans, and I wanted to make a copy available to them free of charge.

Archived